Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pads can glaze with any type of rotor - slots, J hooks, holes etc. don't guarantee it won't happen.
The same goes for noise. There can always be some noise and even a feel through the pedal with anything other than a plain rotor.

Pads can glaze with any type of rotor - slots, J hooks, holes etc. don't guarantee it won't happen.
The same goes for noise. There can always be some noise and even a feel through the pedal with anything other than a plain rotor.
I can't imagine glazing on my RB rotors, they cut like blades. But I'm more interested if anyone with RB rotors had really loud low frequency noise that increases with brake pressure. I will post a video later here - I'm starting to think that is not normal...

I went back to the track yesterday, the problem was better, but still a very inconsistent pedal. It didn’t get quite as soft as before, but still got softer over time. Since I am on a mini break before my next run, will try different pads too
Maybe your calipers got unbolted or rubber hoses overheated and lost rigidity - that usually happens with them if you boil brake fluid.

On my Evo Brembo I ended up finding that I've destroyed master cylinder and overheated calipers to the level that aluminum became softer. Eventually I had to switch to Stoptech calipers and those were rock solid. But it's cheaper to check calipers torque and change hoses to teflon (stainless) first.

Will a 18 x 9.5 ET30 with 275/35-18 fit under the fenders without camber plates, with stock Performance suspension?

I bought some federal race tires and Martian Wheels want to make sure I don't have clearance problems. I know about the wheel speed sensor that needs to be tied back, and secured.

Will a 18 x 9.5 ET30 with 275/35-18 fit under the fenders without camber plates, with stock Performance suspension?

I bought some federal race tires and Martian Wheels want to make sure I don't have clearance problems. I know about the wheel speed sensor that needs to be tied back, and secured.
That's a strange choice. 18? It's whole inch smaller than stock. 3.4% lower speed. That asks for 275 40...

Yes they will fit, no problem. I fit 275/35/19 Toyo R888R without camber, coilovers and spacers.

Great thanks for that, I think it will rip on the track, and the P3D will never be that high speed monster anyway. Might as well play to the strengths of the car.

I plan on doing the Coilovers, and other suspension mods all at once, but I don't quite want to pull those funds out of TSLA right now.

I was hoping to just slap the new sticky rubber and Martian wheels on the stock suspension and enjoy a few track days in the meantime. Other than pads and fluid its bone stock, managed 1:50 at Laguna on my first event there.

I spun out badly, because I left the track mode on Drift Preset. (Opera Singer) Mis-TAAAAKE! I managed to do a 720 on the final corner lol! It was my first time on track since they opened up track mode to the sliders, wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
If you want to learn, get some rs4s and a set of 18s. You will have a lot of fun. If you want 19s, I will sell my set after September as I go back to 18s. A stock p3d with good street tires and brake pads can hit 40, maybe 38-39 with a pro at Laguna.

I got a set of camber arms, didn’t make me go faster yet but I did notice bunch better wear on the tires.

Here are two new tip.
1. Do not f-ing use hub centric ring, more trouble than it’s worth and have fun removing it

2. 18x9 with 40 offset and 265/40/18 resulted in slight rubbing, maybe bring the tire out With a 5mm spacer

File slots in the rings so you can pry them off with a screwdriver and use some high temp copper grease on them

Why are you using +40 offset? Surely +35 would have been better?

Here are two new tip.
1. Do not f-ing use hub centric ring, more trouble than it’s worth and have fun removing it

2. 18x9 with 40 offset and 265/40/18 resulted in slight rubbing, maybe bring the tire out With a 5mm spacer

Hmm, I've had no issues with my plastic or metal hubcentric rings. I'll admit they are a bit of a pain though.

18x9.5 ET 40 with 275/40/18 I NEEDED to use a 5mm spacer. Otherwise I would definitely be rubbing lol

IMG_20200310_105602_s.jpg

This is how they can end up, but it probably depends on the climate how quickly they go like that.