Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Not much red wire available in my area .

Can I use two blacks , white and a green ?
I am running thhn in conduit
Yes, but mark the "red" black cable with some red tape on both ends so anyone in the future knows. Something kinda like this:
1712322600781.jpeg

Hello,
Not much red wire available in my area .

Can I use two blacks , white and a green ?
I am running thhn in conduit
You can run them all in black if you like. It can save a lot of money to buy just one large spool/package of black instead of smaller lengths of different colors. Just mark the neutral white and the ground green at both ends as noted above. You can mark one of the hots red if you like, but it's not really necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and brkaus
You can run them all in black if you like. It can save a lot of money to buy just one large spool/package of black instead of smaller lengths of different colors. Just mark the neutral white and the ground green at both ends as noted above. You can mark one of the hots red if you like, but it's not really necessary.
IIRC technically by code unless the wire is 4 awg or larger or part of a cable assembly, you can't tag wires as ground or neutral.

Two blacks is fine though. You don't actually have to mark L1/L2 as different colors as you note.

Not required, but it sure can help with troubleshooting in the future. I say, invest the penny

Reactions: CyberGus
I am not pulling any permits but if I sell my house 5 years from now and all 4 wires are black, is that going to be an issue? I am in Illinois
For code / inspection, if 6 awg or smaller, the ground has to be green or bare and the neutral has to be white or gray (with any color strip except green) or any non gray color with white/gray stripes

1712402481573.jpeg

If 4 Awg or larger you can use black wire, but the neutral and ground need to be tagged as such (with marker, tape, etc)

One option would be to use an 6-50 or a wall connector and not bother with a neutral at all. And you can just pull a 10 awg ground which should be considerably cheaper than the 6 awg hots. You can also ground to the box and not pull a dedicated ground wire if you’re using EMT all the way through, but I’m not a big fan of that practice since there’s more to go wrong.