Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery at a Tesla store in Fort Worth, TX today. Not at service center as they don't deliver there apparently. Noticed 2 deep chips on the driver side door jamb. Through clearcoat and paint. I let the Tesla employee there know, and she said that she would talk to her manager and note it in the file. I scheduled a service appointment in a few weeks.

Anyone has experience with getting paint work done? Any other suggestions?

See photos.

Attachments

• PXL_20211023_165931690.jpg
    PXL_20211023_165931690.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 273
I took delivery at a Tesla store in Fort Worth, TX today. Not at service center as they don't deliver there apparently. Noticed 2 deep chips on the driver side door jamb. Through clearcoat and paint. I let the Tesla employee there know, and she said that she would talk to her manager and note it in the file. I scheduled a service appointment in a few weeks.

Anyone has experience with getting paint work done? Any other suggestions?

See photos.
Hey there,

I had 4 small chips similar to yours in the rear passenger dog leg upon pickup, and noted so during delivery.

I was able to get a service appointment set up to get it corrected, and it took about a week to get it back. I was provided a model x loaner for the full duration, and upon picking up my vehicle the chips had been corrected flawlessly. Couldn’t find any overspray or hints that the panel had been repainted.

A lot of the noted issues in this forum are definitely prevalent and it sucks they exist in the first place, but at least the service seems to be good at resolving them.

Here's the pics. Rear bumper cover and A-pillar "triangle" trim not fitted properly.

Not driving the car for now to keep it under 100 miles. Earliest service appointment is three weeks from delivery.

The rear doors have large gaps, but not going to complain because I can't imagine them fixing it. Seems like a common issue, unlike the bumper cover and A-pillar trim.
Had the same exact issues on my White M3. They replaced the A pillar trim with a new one that had the same exact problem so they just put a little superglue in between.

As for the bumper, I had them document it in my service history but don't think it's worth having them potentially create more issues by trying to adjust it.

Took delivery on Saturday. So far my only issue is some scratches & a couple of chips on the driver door black trim. Decided it bugged me a bit so I made an appointment for the service center in a couple of weeks.
Just got ours today. Had a couple similar “chips” on the trim. Turns out it’s some kinda tape or glue residue hues away in one second rubbing it with your finger (flesh not nail).

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Just got ours today. Had a couple similar “chips” on the trim. Turns out it’s some kinda tape or glue residue hues away in one second rubbing it with your finger (flesh not nail).
Yeah, turned out mine was too. I was polishing the car and decided to try some polish on that trim, the Turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray actually removed all that. Now it's perfect and I had to cancel that service appointment. A little embarrassed by that post but at the time I didn't have enough posts here to edit.

Yeah, turned out mine was too. I was polishing the car and decided to try some polish on that trim, the Turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray actually removed all that. Now it's perfect and I had to cancel that service appointment. A little embarrassed by that post but at the time I didn't have enough posts here to edit.
I don’t think there’s ever a need to be embarrassed - especially on a forum. If you wanna have a laugh, check out the Raptor or TRX forums :D

Got mine M3+ delivered yesterday. Apparently a lot of gaps between the rubber and the doors and misaligned steering wheel pipe(sorry don't know the correct term ). Something I should worry about? View attachment 726149View attachment 726150View attachment 726148 View attachment 726147
Mine had the same issues with the rubber door trims. Took it in to service center and they didn't do anything about it. They stated that it's a common characteristic of the vehicle

Yup. They refused to fix my black mirror “triangle” trim because they stated it’s normal. Sure enough to prove his point, the service advisor went down the lot and all the Teslas had the exact same issue of that trim not being properly seated despite the other side flush. I asked him why and he didnt really have a good answer for me.
Odd, I had the same issue and the service advisor recognized it immediately but they did fix it for me.

Has anyone had any issues with recent deliveries having a build-up of paint under the front bumper?

My white M3P has paint goop build-up along the trim that connects the black bottom skidplate to the white bumper. Probably isn't as noticeable on darker colors, but it sticks out with the light to dark contrast when looking from the front. Location of issue circled below.
Yes, I posted this not too long ago.

So this kind of sucks. My less than 1 month old M3P had some minor creases in the back seats (that was actually pointed out by the rep who helped me during delivery) that I reported to service. I also found out that the side triangle mirror trim was separating from the car's body so I pointed that out too, and also mentioned issues I was having with the turn signals sometimes not activating. They didn't charge me anything but also didn't fix anything at all because they didn't have the parts available. They test drove the vehicle too and couldn't replicate my turn signal issues so they told me mobile service will just be in touch once they have parts to repair the issues I mentioned.

Well, an hour after I picked up the vehicle from service, I noticed slight tearing/leather separation happening on the driver seat. No idea if this happened while it was in service (they did test drive it), but I'm pretty positive that the seats were fine before I dropped it off. I also noticed another issue that I failed to report initially, where the driver-side door was slightly misaligned. So I contacted service again through the app and now they want to charge me close to $100 for repairs. The minor leather creases are like nothing compared to the these

IMG_0837.jpg
IMG_0838.jpg
IMG_0942.jpg

Last edited:
This pic is from the rear driver side door jamb. Anyone seen an issue like this? My car has over 3,000 miles on it now Im pretty sure I would’ve noticed this before so I think it is a new development. I’m not even sure what the paint issue is here other than it’s wrong lol.

4F683CDD-CE1B-45B0-B171-CFB820EAAFA1.jpeg

Hi , I had ordered M3 SR+ with no option and receive VIN today. 5YJ*E1EA*MF*****. Its 2021 model.

OD : 09/25/2021
Delivery scheduled : Nov12-Nov16

I have two question.

1) I am looking for ev tax credit , So if I decline delivery , How many months i can postpone ? how does it work basically ?
2) If i decline delivery, Will i be liable to pay new price?
3) If i want 2022 model, What shall i do , I don't want to miss EV tax credit & new year model.

Please suggest me here. I am new to this thread and I need your help guys.

So I took my 3 in to fix a charging issue (L1/L2 charging went kaput, only fast charging works). The Tesla SC said the repairs would be covered under warranty, but in the service invoice I am still being charged a $87.50 "diagnosis fee"...the parts on order are all listed as $0.
Before I e-sign the invoice, is the $87.50 fee just a canned fee that appears on all estimates and I will not actually have to pay it since it is a warranty repair?

So I took my 3 in to fix a charging issue (L1/L2 charging went kaput, only fast charging works). The Tesla SC said the repairs would be covered under warranty, but in the service invoice I am still being charged a $87.50 "diagnosis fee"...the parts on order are all listed as $0.
Before I e-sign the invoice, is the $87.50 fee just a canned fee that appears on all estimates and I will not actually have to pay it since it is a warranty repair?
From my experience and others I’ve read in here, they list a fee but you will not be charged. My service experience was just after delivery.

If it’s anything like other brands they put that fee on there to start because if it turns out the repair isn’t covered under warranty then you have to pay that fee (basically because you might go have the car fixed somewhere else if it’s not under warranty so they want to make something for their time telling you what’s wrong with it).

Tesla owners. 30 pages of issues, versus 2,389 pages across waiting room topics for the three model 3 variants. Mine had a couple of very minor issues no normal person would have ever noticed, and I'm a certified national car show judge with the Mustang Club of America.

While there are certainly cars that come out with issues, many pictured here, the vast majority are well built or have minor issues no one would notice without knowing to look for them. I think much of it can be chalked up to urban legend at this point, no matter how good Tesla gets and panel gaps and paint, people will forever be hyper-analyzing and pointing out issues because of past performance.

I think if Tesla could up the QC check game at the Service Centers to be on-par with traditional dealership delivery prep, things would be good. I do think the rush to manufacture does result in legit QC issues as they are unnderstaffed when it comes to Service Centers and delivery.

That is true. Thank you for the eye-opener. I think I overthink as it is a big purchase for me. I am very pedant, however I don't wanna obsess over this stuff too much.

Haha you think you're pedant? Check us out over in the Model S forums, 128 pages of issues: 2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

On a per capita basis, I think we "win" hands down 😭

Hey gang, I’m picking up a new 3 in a few days. This will be my second pickup. My first one was in 2019 and I had a whole checklist printed out for things to inspect during delivery. Are we still in that situation these days? Is there an updated checklist somewhere or have things settled down and a standard once over like any other car is sufficient?

Hey gang, I’m picking up a new 3 in a few days. This will be my second pickup. My first one was in 2019 and I had a whole checklist printed out for things to inspect during delivery. Are we still in that situation these days? Is there an updated checklist somewhere or have things settled down and a standard once over like any other car is sufficient?
Got mine this past Monday. I looked it over using a mental check-list of items seen reading this thread. It has the seemingly normal weather stripping fitment around the door frames that could be better, but is just how it is. Panel gaps, paint, trunk/frunk closure, seats, etc. are all almost perfect. Only one thing I've noticed is that the black mesh stuff on the dash near the windshield had a small section that wasn't tucked down quite right. I fixed that up with a putty knife. Quality appears to be equivalent to my most recent new car buys, Leaf, Volt, and Prius.

Reactions: TBrownTX