Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So got my M3 LR home delivered about a week ago. And per my sales advisor and delivery person’s instructions, I submitted a service request of all the QC issues I found during my inspection, before I hit 100 miles.

My service appointment is set for tomorrow and I just received my cost estimate. One of the issues I notated down seems to be extremely common — the door latches/handles of both rear doors are recessed. And I’m being quoted $76 to fix that. Headlights and taillights pieces are also not flush with the body panels. Quoted $76 for that too for a total of $152 I have to pay for to fix a manufacturing defect I had no control over and literally reported as soon as I got the car.

Has anyone had similar issues with these and got them fixed? I don’t understand why I’m being billed for a manufacturing mistake. It’s not like I chose to install these parts wrong then changed my mind.

So got my M3 LR home delivered about a week ago. And per my sales advisor and delivery person’s instructions, I submitted a service request of all the QC issues I found during my inspection, before I hit 100 miles.

My service appointment is set for tomorrow and I just received my cost estimate. One of the issues I notated down seems to be extremely common — the door latches/handles of both rear doors are recessed. And I’m being quoted $76 to fix that. Headlights and taillights pieces are also not flush with the body panels. Quoted $76 for that too for a total of $152 I have to pay for to fix a manufacturing defect I had no control over and literally reported as soon as I got the car.

Has anyone had similar issues with these and got them fixed? I don’t understand why I’m being billed for a manufacturing mistake. It’s not like I chose to install these parts wrong then changed my mind.
Tesla makes you accept a quote for repair even if it will be a warranty repair. People complain but it is the same as any car dealer, they just hide it. When you sign for a work order, it says you are signing to pay 1 hour of diag if it ends up non-warranty related.

For the rear door handles being recessed, that seems to be the standard for model 3s though. Someone somewhere posted how they looked at everything on the lot when they had theirs delivered and they were all the same, I would not expect a fix

Tesla makes you accept a quote for repair even if it will be a warranty repair. People complain but it is the same as any car dealer, they just hide it. When you sign for a work order, it says you are signing to pay 1 hour of diag if it ends up non-warranty related.

For the rear door handles being recessed, that seems to be the standard for model 3s though. Someone somewhere posted how they looked at everything on the lot when they had theirs delivered and they were all the same, I would not expect a fix

Sure enough. That’s what they had also said. I just dropped off my car. A lot of the issues I saw on here (and I unfortunately encountered) were written off as normal, or the effort it would take to move a panel 1mm would probably cause more damage for minimal improvement.

The only things I’m basically getting fixed is the charge port not being flush with taillights, addressing a scratch on the dashboard silver trim, and cracking on the rear seat leather. They did not have the dashboard part in stock. And they said they took pictures of the leather seat and would need to get approval from their engineering team in order to get a replacement seat. I would need to bring it back anyway. So frustrating.

Is this normal?
I took delivery recently, and I noticed the interior side pillar, both left and right was not flush against the headliner. It's near the top middle area of the rear doors when closed. I lift the gasket to see what's going on and the picture is shown. Isn't the side pillar supposed to be hooked to the edge of the headliner?

Attachments

• IMG_0277[1].JPG
    IMG_0277[1].JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0278[1].JPG
    IMG_0278[1].JPG
    547.4 KB · Views: 179
Is this normal?
I took delivery recently, and I noticed the interior side pillar, both left and right was not flush against the headliner. It's near the top middle area of the rear doors when closed. I lift the gasket to see what's going on and the picture is shown. Isn't the side pillar supposed to be hooked to the edge of the headliner?
Side Rails is the proper term for it. Not side pillar.

Is this normal?
That's why the trim piece is there. If you hadn't pulled the trim up you would have never seen it.

Is this normal?
You can see it’s meant to overlap, but there is nothing meant to connect them together. I honestly haven’t looked at mine so closely but yours doesn’t look wrong in any way

Is this normal?
Mines like that. Sags sometimes in hot weather when the rubber expands. Not really held up by anything but that rubber trim you’re holding onto

I picked up another new M3P last weekend. Exact same spec as my previous 2019 M3P. I have the same scratch in the exact same location as my last model 3. Right in the drivers line of sight. Looks like a smudge, but does not come off. Only visible at certain angles / harsh light

Has anyone else experienced this same issue? I think something at the factory is scratching windshields in the exact same spot over and over. I assumed this would have been fixed by now.

is this something that can be repaired or polished out? - id rather not do a full replacement if possible.

I’m also considering windshield tint. Could that possibly help this scratch, or make it look even worse? - anyone with a tinted windshield, please let me know your experience with this.

Attachments

• 7DAD875D-2DD7-4752-AE8B-F8FC8E86D2D9.jpeg
    7DAD875D-2DD7-4752-AE8B-F8FC8E86D2D9.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 9246F8F8-BAE6-40AE-AF1E-02E249F5F4C5.jpeg
    9246F8F8-BAE6-40AE-AF1E-02E249F5F4C5.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 186
I just picked up my Model 3 LR 6 days ago and my friend just noticed that the B pillar trim is falling off..
I haven't sit in the back of my car so I just noticed it when he pointed it out.

anyone have the same experience?
View attachment 716584
Looks like there are clips on the bottom and top that should hold that trim piece in and your top ones are not clipped in properly.
Tesla MODEL 3 SERVICE MANUAL: TRIM - B-PILLAR - UPPER - LH (REMOVE AND REPLACE)

You can report it in your app with pictures (try do it before 100 miles as that is the typical grace period for reporting delivery issues, although a probably like this may be covered regardless) and they can probably send mobile service or schedule an appointment to fix it under warranty. You can try pushing it in yourself, but probably safer to let Tesla do it, as some of the clips inside may be broken and they may have to replace.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Is this normal?
I have one side where it aligns better, but is super tight, and another side where the overlap is more obvious (especially from factory). I was able to figure out where the clips were and seated it better.
You can see in diagram where the clips are inside the pillar. There is nothing on the edge, it all depends on those clips along the pillar, so it's not necessarily always going to be 100% exact. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as it isn't rattling or loose enough it may fall out.
Tesla MODEL 3 SERVICE MANUAL: TRIM - SIDE RAIL - LH (REMOVE AND REPLACE)

What Tesla doesn't seem to have is a relationship with shops that "fix-up" new cars before delivery -- cannot remember the proper term. On my last Range Rover I could easily see where one of those shops had sorted my car before delivery. But the work was first rate and no one else could actually tell. (Only reason I could is I used to be involved with friends who restored old Ferraris etc.). Anyway, these shops know how to get things right. Very common especially on imports. BTW my M3P was delivered, flawless.

I've gone through a touchless carwash several times now and every time water leaks into the frunk. Is that just how it's gonna be or is my frunk's seal off and needs to be adjusted?
The car wash is the type with the high powered water jets.
20211002_103337.jpg
20211002_103400.jpg
20211002_103411.jpg