Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With these kind of reductions, I really hope my ski hills had charging stations for those occasional -25C days... I guess we'll be using the gaz guzler in those instances...

The good news is I did notice some hills are starting to put them in. Saint-Sauveur has an assortment of Tesla and standard Level 2 chargers, not sure how they manage their use though.

Not charging to 100% is not the best thing. LFP have a bit of internal leak and need to be at least every week be fully charged to keep the maximum output.
@cocunutboy84 was not referring to an LFP-equipped car though. Notice that post was from 2020, so he's got the NCA battery pack. Which should not be charged to 100% very often.

I've seen test data that supports a large drop in range in cold (15F or colder) temps, but I haven't seen any real world data. Do you have a link? Bjorn's data is from around 32F
His data shows anything colder than 10 degrees C in the battery will result in really slow charging. As the temp drops below 0 degrees C it will be very difficult to raise this battery temp.

For cold temperature, the car uses "waste" energy from the motor(s) to heat the pack. If you are not driving, it can actually still power the stator of the motor(s) and keep the rotor stationary to generate heat. Pretty cool trick that saves them having a heater in the battery :)

But yes, since LFP is more affected in cold temps, it means you'll waste more energy to get the pack up to optimal temp and keep it in the range of temperature where LFP is most efficient, thus ultimately decreasing your range.

Reactions: Baluchi
For cold temperature, the car uses "waste" energy from the motor(s) to heat the pack. If you are not driving, it can actually still power the stator of the motor(s) and keep the rotor stationary to generate heat. Pretty cool trick that saves them having a heater in the battery :)

But yes, since LFP is more affected in cold temps, it means you'll waste more energy to get the pack up to optimal temp and keep it in the range of temperature where LFP is most efficient, thus ultimately decreasing your range.
When more of cold weather people start experiencing LFP model 3 i think we would have much clearer picture how it will behave in cold temps. Lets hope we will be happy with the LFP packs. Lol

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3 and Baluchi
I only charge at home and my LFP has exceed my expectation and it is doing better than 2018 LR RWD with NCA. Regen works better at similar temp (30 deg F) so far in NJ. Will see how it goes as the temp dips lower.

It was able to charge at maximum speed (242V@32A) despite cold soaked in 30 deg F overnight.
Thats really good news. Pls keep us updated when temp dipps below. Still with 30F charging speed sounds good to me. Thanks for sharing.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Also in NJ, 2021 LFP SR+ charging right now 34 mile/hr at 32A using NEMA 14-50. Outside temperature around 40F.

There's definitely reduction in driving range with temperature dropping compared to 2 months ago, but with the added usable range, I'm still able to drive longer distance compared to my 2021 NCA SR+ which degraded by 5% in 10 months.

Also, the regen seems to start right away compared to NCA which took a while before regen kicks in.

Drove 49 miles round trip with my wife and daughter to my sister’s house where I stayed for 7 hours. Starting outdoor temp was 45 F and ended with 34 F when I got home.

Displayed range dropped by 57 so I used 8 more miles than the car was expecting.

This was due to the heat pump running to bring up and maintain 69 F cabin and a heated seat.

Total driving time was 1:40 hrs so the 8 miles loss was well worth the comfort.

Drove 49 miles round trip with my wife and daughter to my sister’s house where I stayed for 7 hours. Starting outdoor temp was 45 F and ended with 34 F when I got home.

Displayed range dropped by 57 so I used 8 more miles than the car was expecting.

This was due to the heat pump running to bring up and maintain 69 F cabin and a heated seat.

Total driving time was 1:40 hrs so the 8 miles loss was well worth the comfort.
Thanks for sharing. For those 7 hrs there did you turn off sentry mode? Loosing only 8 miles is actually not bad. Good effeciency for colder temp.

So I have a 2021 SR+ with 253 miles displayed range at full charge. It's starting to get cold here in NJ (30-40 degrees) and I took a 170 mile round trip and I unfortunately needed to stop to charge on the way back...the nav estimated I'd get home with 2% without charging but recommend the stop. I was getting about 275 wh/mi. That seems like a pretty big hit to range in the cold weather, but I'm wondering what others are experiencing. I'm on 2021.36.8.

Thanks for sharing. For those 7 hrs there did you turn off sentry mode? Loosing only 8 miles is actually not bad. Good effeciency for colder temp.
Yes, Sentry was off.
So I have a 2021 SR+ with 253 miles displayed range at full charge. It's starting to get cold here in NJ (30-40 degrees) and I took a 170 mile round trip and I unfortunately needed to stop to charge on the way back...the nav estimated I'd get home with 2% without charging but recommend the stop. I was getting about 275 wh/mi. That seems like a pretty big hit to range in the cold weather, but I'm wondering what others are experiencing. I'm on 2021.36.8.
I am on the same version. Just got back from a trip from Bergen to East Brunswick (noon to night return). It was especially windy and zaps Wh/mi going at 70 mph on Turnpike. I mostly stayed around 65 mph.

I have 149 miles with 49 miles trip yesterday, averaged 230 Wh/mi on this charge with 67 miles left. I did preheat the cabin (off the battery) before leaving tonight.

Yes, Sentry was off.

I am on the same version. Just got back from a trip from Bergen to East Brunswick (noon to night return). It was especially windy and zaps Wh/mi going at 70 mph on Turnpike. I mostly stayed around 65 mph.

I have 149 miles with 49 miles trip yesterday, averaged 230 Wh/mi on this charge with 67 miles left. I did preheat the cabin (off the battery) before leaving tonight.

I tend to drive 70-80 on the highway so I know that is a factor but I wasnt expecting it too be as bad as I saw (86 miles driven used 48% of the battery on the way down). On the way back, I stopped at Tinton Falls chargers off the GSP which were busy, but very fast and also right next to a mall (ending up buying a jacket on sale during my charge, lol). I had a 35 mile leg with battery preconditioning where I was over 400 wh/mi which I guess was due to the car using energy to get the battery up to temp for charging. It was about 35 degrees outside. The leg after the charge was back to 275 wh/mi. There were 3 of us in the car with seat heaters on and internal temp at 72.

I tend to drive 70-80 on the highway so I know that is a factor but I wasnt expecting it too be as bad as I saw (86 miles driven used 48% of the battery on the way down). On the way back, I stopped at Tinton Falls chargers off the GSP which were busy, but very fast and also right next to a mall (ending up buying a jacket on sale during my charge, lol). I had a 35 mile leg with battery preconditioning where I was over 400 wh/mi which I guess was due to the car using energy to get the battery up to temp for charging. It was about 35 degrees outside. The leg after the charge was back to 275 wh/mi. There were 3 of us in the car with seat heaters on and internal temp at 72.
I had 3 passengers and 3 cats at 70 F cabin. Just so I have a reference, what percentage of rated range did you get going 70-80 prior to the cold (without needing cabin heat)?

Glad to hear battery preconditioning works. What's the max kW did it charge at?