Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the pictures.

You got the math backwards.

It is 227Wh/mi*161mi /0.6 = 60.9kWh.

There is some error on this due to being only at 60%. (Method is most accurate at 100%.)

It might be closer to:

227Wh/mi*161mi *272rmi/165rmi = 60.3kWh.

Anyway it confirms that you do have the 60kWh LFP pack on your 2022 RWD.

The constant is about 220Wh/rmi. (161mi*227Wh/mi/165rmi) Compare to either 209Wh/rmi or 215Wh/rmi on the old SR+.

It‘s possible your range will creep up to 272 or even 273 after a few more 100% charges. I guess we will see.

It’s a very appealing vehicle. Great range, low complexity leading to spectacular low-speed efficiency, and hopefully the cells prove to be long-lasting.

It’ll be interesting to see how fast it supercharges. I predict about 185kW peak but not sure about the LFP characteristics. Seems like it is probably 34 parallel cell bricks. So 250kW*34/46 = 185kW.
Thanks to both of you for confirming the pack. I'm really excited about these changes. For what I will use the car for, the 60 kwh model 3 rwd is perfect.

Reactions: TexaCali
<snip>

The constant is about 220Wh/rmi. (161mi*227Wh/mi/165rmi) Compare to either 209Wh/rmi or 215Wh/rmi on the old SR+.

It‘s possible your range will creep up to 272 or even 273 after a few more 100% charges. I guess we will see.
drove about 25 miles of mixed highway and city today - typical go run an errand driving. I'm seeing numbers just under 180 Wh/mile and full charge numbers well over 300 miles! I think these 60kWhr LFP cars are going to be pretty awesome for a lot of people.

drove about 25 miles of mixed highway and city today - typical go run an errand driving. I'm seeing numbers just under 180 Wh/mile and full charge numbers well over 300 miles! I think these 60kWhr LFP cars are going to be pretty awesome for a lot of people.
That’s pretty good. Just remember that because of the 4.5% buffer, the mile-for-rated mile parity number is 4.5% less, so about 210Wh/mi. But the RWD vehicles are definitely quite efficient.

Just wondering if you could share when you are charging your M3 with LFP?

For the first month or so we charged at around 19% every 4 or 5 days but last month or two (we've only had it 3) we've been charging every 3 days...usually around 35-39% or whatever it happens to be at. I

t seems that the range is higher at 100% when we do the later and lower by 3 miles or so if we charge less. Not a scientific study LOL

Just wondering what other LFP owners are doing.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Just wondering if you could share when you are charging your M3 with LFP?

For the first month or so we charged at around 19% every 4 or 5 days but last month or two (we've only had it 3) we've been charging every 3 days...usually around 35-39% or whatever it happens to be at. I

t seems that the range is higher at 100% when we do the later and lower by 3 miles or so if we charge less. Not a scientific study LOL

Just wondering what other LFP owners are doing.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
So do you mean you are charging your LFP to 100% every 3 days from 35 to 39% ?? What total range you seeing now at 100% SOC? Is it 2021 LFP MODEL?

So do you mean you are charging your LFP to 100% every 3 days from 35 to 39% ?? What total range you seeing now at 100% SOC? Is it 2021 LFP MODEL?

Yes 2021 LFP model...

253 consistently periodically 254 or 255 when charged every 3 days and at around 39%.

Seems like its 251 (not big deal) when I charge it to 100% from 18% or so.

Made 8/2021...

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 12.16.12 PM.png

Reactions: amit_gunner
I have an 2021 LFP. I plug in every night (120v level 1 charging) and charge to 100% (or try to, at least). App shows between 251 and 255 miles, while the car usually says 252 or 253 miles.

Hey FARKLE!, have you ever kind of watched your app as your car is charging, and if so, have you noticed the following, which happens to me every time: The app will show the car is charged to, let’s say, 240 miles of range. App says the car is charging at 6mph, and that it should be done charging in 2.5 hours. At first those kinds of numbers would get my hopes up because 2.5 hours at 6mph should actually total 255 miles of range.

I couple times I have watched it all the way up to when it stops. For the example above it would charge for 2 hours, and the range available at that point would be 252 miles. It would still show a half hour of charging left to do, so you could still hope for another 3 miles. But then, suddenly, it just stops charging a half hour early at the 252 mile range. Have you seen anything like this with your car?

Last edited:
Hey FARKLE!, have you ever kind of watched your app as your car is charging, and if so, have you noticed the following, which happens to me every time: The app will show the car is charged to, let’s say, 240 miles of range. App says the car is charging at 6mph, and that it should be done charging in 2.5 hours. At first those kinds of numbers would get my hopes up because 2.5 hours at 6mph should actually total 255 miles of range.

I couple times I have watched it all the way up to when it stops. For the example above it would charge for 2 hours, and the range available at that point would be 252 miles. It would still show a half hour of charging left to do, so you could still hope for another 3 miles. But then, suddenly, it just stops charging a half hour early at the 252 mile range. Have you seen anything like this with your car?
I've never noticed...I'll try to look at it this weekend. It sounds like that could explain why the app sometimes shows 255 miles.

Is that a brief fluctuation or do you have to manually set it back to 32 amps? If manual intervention is necessary you might be able to fix by changing the amps setting in the car and not using the app to set the amps…

If I put on 32 it goes back to 31 but on top it says something like charging 31/32. I'll try to remember next time we plug it in to screenshot. But I'm not going override anything if it wants 31...31 is what it will get.

Anyone else noticing really high vampire drain? I'm seeing a drop of 7 percentage points over night. The screen below is after 3 days of driving and two nights of sitting. 25kWh used, but I'm down to 39% battery. I have the HVAC set to turn off when I leave the car, and Sentry Mode is supposed to exclude my home location, but I've noticed it still activates even though the car is sitting in my driveway.

PXL_20211120_024936405 - Copy.jpg

Anyone else noticing really high vampire drain? I'm seeing a drop of 7 percentage points over night. The screen below is after 3 days of driving and two nights of sitting. 25kWh used, but I'm down to 39% battery. I have the HVAC set to turn off when I leave the car, and Sentry Mode is supposed to exclude my home location, but I've noticed it still activates even though the car is sitting in my driveway.

View attachment 735220
I dont have the car but it looks like 7% drop is little high . But again i am guessing temp drops below 50 F overnight ? So that maybe the reason. Its a bit chilly . Also sentry mode on not helping. Maybe manually turn it off from app or from car and see if it drains less battery. Your effeciency looks really good to me. I think for me in winter i would leave it plugged in overnight whenever possible . Summer i think will be perfectly fine.

View attachment 735220
Sounds like your Sentry mode doesn't know it's home. I had a similar thing happen at work, where the car didn't know I was there unless I drove through a certain spot in the parking lot. So I just added a favorite that included the other side of the parking lot, and set Sentry to not activate at favorited locations. That solved it for me.

Hi all; I picked up my 2021 SR+ LFP in September. I was consistently at 253 for the life of the car (with all level 2 home charging and two supercharging sessions mixed in). On November 11-14, I went on a a road trip from Southern California to Northern California with about six supercharges throughout. The weather was also significantly colder there.

During the trip, I noticed the max range drop off a steep cliff to 250, as reflected in my battery report below (note that I think it may have missed a supercharge or two from the trip). But since coming back home, it looks like it’s leveled out at 250. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Attachments

• E324C573-DFCC-464A-86D7-E163E98EE662.jpeg
    E324C573-DFCC-464A-86D7-E163E98EE662.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 164
5,000 mile update for my 2021 SR+ LFP (5,519 miles actually). As of today, the Tessie app shows a battery capacity of 54.5 kWh (down 0.2% from my original 23 Oct 2021 post of 54.6 kWh), and a max range of 252 miles (down 0.4% from my original post of 253 miles).

So at 5,500 miles I've had very little degradation, which I don't even really think is degredation. If you look at the graph, battery capacity and range start to drop at the same time the weather here started getting cold. My car is now being exposed to 35-45 degree F temps, which I think is the primary reason for the drops in capacity and range. I expect these drops to continue as the weather gets colder, and then I hope to get at least some of that back when when temps rise again next spring.

According to the car's screen, I'm now averaging 208 Wh/mi over the life of the car. I'm guessing the car isn't using the battery buffer in its calculation--but I don't really know for sure. But assuming the Model 3 has a 4.5% buffer (according to multiple threads), that would make my 208 Wh/mi actually 217 Wh/mi (208 * 1.045 = 217; please correct me if I'm screwing up the math). Assuming I could tap into the listed 54.5 kWh battery at 217 Wh/mi efficiency, that gives me a range of 251.2 miles.

My charging is almost entirely Level 2 from a Grizzl-E on a 40 amp circuit in my garage, delivery 32 amps to the car. I charger every night, but I mix it up to try and let the battery sleep at various states-of-charge. So some nights I'll charge to 70%, some to 80%, some to 90%, and at least a couple times per week I go to 100%. I've used Superchargers a few times, but mostly just to check out the stations in my area.

Tessie says I've charged 66 times in the 57 days I've owned the car. The LFP battery is supposedly good for 5,000 cycles before it degrades to 80%, I've used 1.3% of those cycles since I bought the car on 23 Sep 2021. At this rate, the car should last a total of 12 years before the battery falls to 80% capacity (202 mile range).

EDIT to add one more metric. Tessie says I've spent $124.88 on electricity for the life of the car, while the same driving in my old Ford Focus would've cost $500.02 in gasoline. So my fuel costs have been 25% compared to keeping my old car.

I'll try to post another update at 10,000 miles, which should happen during the coldest part of the year, so I expect to see more dropping numbers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211120-081248.jpg
    Screenshot_20211120-081248.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 155
  • PXL_20211119_234458158.jpg
    PXL_20211119_234458158.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: metalblaze and pipp
5,000 mile update for my 2021 SR+ LFP (5,519 miles actually). As of today, the Tessie app shows a battery capacity of 54.5 kWh (down 0.2% from my original 23 Oct 2021 post of 54.6 kWh), and a max range of 252 miles (down 0.4% from my original post of 253 miles).

So at 5,500 miles I've had very little degradation, which I don't even really think is degredation. If you look at the graph, battery capacity and range start to drop at the same time the weather here started getting cold. My car is now being exposed to 35-45 degree F temps, which I think is the primary reason for the drops in capacity and range. I expect these drops to continue as the weather gets colder, and then I hope to get at least some of that back when when temps rise again next spring.

According to the car's screen, I'm now averaging 208 Wh/mi over the life of the car. I'm guessing the car isn't using the battery buffer in its calculation--but I don't really know for sure. But assuming the Model 3 has a 4.5% buffer (according to multiple threads), that would make my 208 Wh/mi actually 217 Wh/mi (208 * 1.045 = 217; please correct me if I'm screwing up the math). Assuming I could tap into the listed 54.5 kWh battery at 217 Wh/mi efficiency, that gives me a range of 251.2 miles.

My charging is almost entirely Level 2 from a Grizzl-E on a 40 amp circuit in my garage, delivery 32 amps to the car. I charger every night, but I mix it up to try and let the battery sleep at various states-of-charge. So some nights I'll charge to 70%, some to 80%, some to 90%, and at least a couple times per week I go to 100%. I've used Superchargers a few times, but mostly just to check out the stations in my area.

Tessie says I've charged 66 times in the 57 days I've owned the car. The LFP battery is supposedly good for 5,000 cycles before it degrades to 80%, I've used 1.3% of those cycles since I bought the car on 23 Sep 2021. At this rate, the car should last a total of 12 years before the battery falls to 80% capacity (202 mile range).

EDIT to add one more metric. Tessie says I've spent $124.88 on electricity for the life of the car, while the same driving in my old Ford Focus would've cost $500.02 in gasoline. So my fuel costs have been 25% compared to keeping my old car.

I'll try to post another update at 10,000 miles, which should happen during the coldest part of the year, so I expect to see more dropping numbers.
Damn, Baluchi, you’re a driver! I got my car about 3 weeks before you did and I just now got to 2000 miles on it! If you’re going to drive a lot though, this car is a good choice to spend all that time in…

Reactions: Baluchi