Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to drive 70-80 on the highway so I know that is a factor but I wasnt expecting it too be as bad as I saw
80 vs 65 will increase aero Wh/mi by 50% (v2/v1)^2. At 65mph that component is probably something like 100-125Wh/mi, so that’ll add about 60Wh/mi at 80mph, all else being equal.

Just very roughly. Pretty easy to drive different speeds and work out these coefficients for an SR+.

On the upside driving faster in winter helps with the heating Wh/mi. But with a heat pump it’s not going to offset the aero losses much at all.

Last edited:
With these kind of reductions, I really hope my ski hills had charging stations for those occasional -25C days... I guess we'll be using the gaz guzler in those instances...

The good news is I did notice some hills are starting to put them in. Saint-Sauveur has an assortment of Tesla and standard Level 2 chargers, not sure how they manage their use though.
Good to know. I'm in Ottawa and ski in Quebec weekly. Thanks!

Reactions: Labs
I just did a bit of a colder weather test myself. 37F.

While plugged into 120v, I preheated for 20 min. I then put in the super charger location 25 miles away and it pre-heated the entire trip.
Trip 1:
Speed: 75mph
Wh/Mile: 352 (while preconditioning battery)
Distance: 25 miles
Heater: Set to 74 with heated wheel and seat on max.
Elevation: -30 ft

Charged 19% of the battery for 10 min.

Trip 2 (way back home)
Speed: 65mph
Wh/Mile: 241
Heater: no heat or heated seats/wheel. Turned on defogger twice for about 30 seconds each time.
Elevation: +30 ft

Reactions: TexaCali
I just did a bit of a colder weather test myself. 37F.

While plugged into 120v, I preheated for 20 min. I then put in the super charger location 25 miles away and it pre-heated the entire trip.
Trip 1:
Speed: 75mph
Wh/Mile: 352 (while preconditioning battery)
Heater: Set to 74 with heated wheel and seat on max.
Elevation: -30 ft

Charged 19% of the battery for 10 min.

Trip 2 (way back home)
Speed: 65mph
Wh/Mile: 241
Heater: no heat or heated seats/wheel. Turned on defogger twice for about 30 seconds each time.
Elevation: +30 ft
What was SOC each starting time and how many miles actual vs range in miles car showed? If you did supecharrge can you share charging speed as well? With 120 volt how many miles per hour you are getting in 35 or lower 40 f temps? Thanks again for sharing your trip data.

What was SOC each starting time and how many miles actual vs range in miles car showed? If you did supecharrge can you share charging speed as well? With 120 volt how many miles per hour you are getting in 35 or lower 40 f temps? Thanks again for sharing your trip data.
Trip 1
Started at 100% SoC, ended up driving at 99% after preheating while plugged in.
Supercharged from 80-99% in 10 min. Average 68kwh, peak 100kwh.
Used 51.0 Miles at 56% efficiency
Wh/Mile: 352
Pre-conditioned the battery the full 25 mile run
Don't remember the exact numbers, but I got there with 1% more battery than it has estimated.

Trip 2
Soc: 99% starting, 87% ending
29.4 miles driven, 34.5 used 85% efficiency
Full trip Wh/mile was 260, but I reset the trip once I got to 65. So 25 miles of 65mph was 241. I used the heat and fast acceleration to get from the charger to highway speed, so that 260 should have been lower.
Got home with 3% more battery than originally estimated.

I park in the garage, and I get 5 to 6 mph at 12amps.

Reactions: amit_gunner
That should be fine. LFP is good at 100% however i would say dont just keep it at 100% soc for long time. .
I am goinn to follow Tesla recommendation to charge LFP to 100% at least once a week. Works for my commute routine.
Another question : I have a 15-20 in my garage which charges my model 3 at 7-8 miles / hr currently, giving me ~60 miles overnight. On some old forum I saw that 6-20 NEMA plug can charge at 15 miles /hr. Does anyone use 6-20? Form the forums seems like it is easier and cheaper to convert a 15-20 to 6-20. Is my understanding right?

Reactions: Lephturn
I am goinn to follow Tesla recommendation to charge LFP to 100% at least once a week. Works for my commute routine.
Another question : I have a 15-20 in my garage which charges my model 3 at 7-8 miles / hr currently, giving me ~60 miles overnight. On some old forum I saw that 6-20 NEMA plug can charge at 15 miles /hr. Does anyone use 6-20? Form the forums seems like it is easier and cheaper to convert a 15-20 to 6-20. Is my understanding right?

What is the max amp rating of your wire/breaker?

6-20 is 20A... which gives you 15 mi/hr on the M3. I do not see why the 15-20 would be any different as it is the same AMP/Voltage rating.

If you really want to improve your charge rate, I'd upgrade plug/circuit to one of the 30A or 50A plug standard.
1638450121750.png

After the last week windy trip, my full charge dropped to 248 miles.

Pic below is from four 30 miles commutes with sparse cabin heat only if it starts to fog up with 2 bacons seat heater. Daily chores to drop off/pick up my daughter/wife had cabin heat.

I got 235/248 miles although I got 200 Wh/mi, waiting in car and one preheat (cost 6 miles).

3F3D6B71-D7DA-4733-ACDA-0C715066D47E.jpeg

Pic below is from four 30 miles commutes with sparse cabin heat only if it starts to fog up with 2 bacons seat heater. Daily chores to drop off/pick up my daughter/wife had cabin heat.

I got 235/248 miles although I got 200 Wh/mi, waiting in car and one preheat (cost 6 miles).

View attachment 739948
What was it before? 272 miles or 252 miles??

View attachment 739948

By any chance did you use any super chargers on your trip? If you did, how full did you charge to with them? Thanks!

I also have 2021 SR+ LFP, and was charging to 252 - 253 (in the app sometimes up to 254 - 255) but just recently it started to only charge to 249 - 250. Only have 2300 miles on the car. I level 1 charge to 100% every night, never used a super charger.
Is it a degradation you think or just the BMS figuring it out. I hope it goes back to 252 to 253 ish. Keep us posted please.

By any chance did you use any super chargers on your trip? If you did, how full did you charge to with them? Thanks!
I have never charged at a Supercharger.
Is it a degradation you think or just the BMS figuring it out. I hope it goes back to 252 to 253 ish. Keep us posted please.
I charged to full last night. Woke up this morning with 251 miles. I think it adjusts to the consumption data.

Reactions: amit_gunner