Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope someone can help me, I'm having issues with my USB drive for the dashcam. I have two Model 3s, both are SR+, one with FSD and one without. I originally ordered two of these (Samsung 256GB Flash drive) as I saw it recommended online. After one of the most recent software updates, both cars started saying that the write speed was too slow. Unplugging and plugging the flash drive back in was a temporary workaround, but after a few minutes or hours the error message would come back, and I confirmed that nothing was being recorded to the drive when the error message was being displayed.

After doing additional research, I ordered this (SanDisk MobileMate microSD card reader) and this (SanDisk 256GB high endurance MicroSD card, specifically advertised for usage with dash cams). It worked fine for me for about 10 days, and then my car simply stopped recognizing it. I plugged it into my computer and confirmed there was nothing wrong with it, it still had all my sentry mode recordings up until November 15th, and then nothing. I ultimately decided to reformat the card again (using Disk Utility on Mac, using FAT, just as I had done the first time around) and still the car will not recognize it. I tried it on the other Model 3 and it also does not recognize it, so either Tesla did something again in the most recent software update, or something went wrong with the drive? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

I hope someone can help me, I'm having issues with my USB drive for the dashcam. I have two Model 3s, both are SR+, one with FSD and one without. I originally ordered two of these (Samsung 256GB Flash drive) as I saw it recommended online. After one of the most recent software updates, both cars started saying that the write speed was too slow. Unplugging and plugging the flash drive back in was a temporary workaround, but after a few minutes or hours the error message would come back, and I confirmed that nothing was being recorded to the drive when the error message was being displayed.

After doing additional research, I ordered this (SanDisk MobileMate microSD card reader) and this (SanDisk 256GB high endurance MicroSD card, specifically advertised for usage with dash cams). It worked fine for me for about 10 days, and then my car simply stopped recognizing it. I plugged it into my computer and confirmed there was nothing wrong with it, it still had all my sentry mode recordings up until November 15th, and then nothing. I ultimately decided to reformat the card again (using Disk Utility on Mac, using FAT, just as I had done the first time around) and still the car will not recognize it. I tried it on the other Model 3 and it also does not recognize it, so either Tesla did something again in the most recent software update, or something went wrong with the drive? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

I can't speak to using disk utility as I don't have a Mac, but outside of that, you may have received a "fake" or faulty card. I use a double partition on mine, but I used windows and none of the recent patches have caused that issue for me, so I'd think it is likely that a Tesla update didn't cause the problem. Are you using the same mobilemate reader on your mac when you format it? (to validate that the reader didn't go bad) Just trying to cover all of the bases.

For what it's worth (near nothing?) this is what I have : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5JV2B5

Like another poster, I chose that so I could get a camera-grade? SD card for it; figuring cameras take lots of pics.. whatever, the card I got is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V5Q1K3O

The adapter is plugged into one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DRW84M so I can still have 2 active phone chargers though primarily only driver side is used.

After 24.4, I rebooted (first time ever cause of hearing so many issues)

I have had zero failures with the camera or the files. Maybe just lucky...

Thanks for taking the trouble to post this information. It is very helpful!

Reactions: Msjulie
What a forum. Thanks to all that have commented! I, like most I presume were wondering what a good setup is and this thread gave me all the answers! Appreciate you guys. Going with the Sandisk HE 256gb, samsung card reader mentioned on this page and the adapter plug!

Im having difficulty formatting my 500gb that I just received. Using a Chromebook i format it to fat 32, then add a folder named teslacam. When i plug it back into the Chromebook, all the original Samsung files are there, and the teslacam folder disappears. Any ideas?

Im having difficulty formatting my 500gb that I just received. Using a Chromebook i format it to fat 32, then add a folder named teslacam. When i plug it back into the Chromebook, all the original Samsung files are there, and the teslacam folder disappears. Any ideas?

Did you click on the eject button before pulling the USB drive out? That's one potential reason.

Turns out the majority of the SSD was partitioned and my chromebook wasnt giving me access to that but a few mb's. I had to use my sons windows laptop and i was able to fully format the whole thing. Thanks for the help.