Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights from China- are these fake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, Tesla community! I have a 2020 M3 and wanted to retrofit the matrix headlights. Decided to order them from China (around 170$ each). The car has been taken to an unauthorized workshop to get them retrofitted. Unfortunately even after being "programmed" they cannot get calibrated. The diagnostician says that these are replicas and do not have the adjustment motors. What is your opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_9834.jpg
    IMG_9834.jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9839.jpg
    IMG_9839.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9838.jpg
    IMG_9838.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_9837.jpg
    IMG_9837.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_9836.jpg
    IMG_9836.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_9835.jpg
    IMG_9835.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9828.jpg
    IMG_9828.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 154
Im sorry, I dont understand the question. You ordered aftermarket matrix lights from some supplier in China, they dont work, and you are asking if they are fake... what exactly?

They are not headlights from Tesla, so they are aftermarket lights, right? They can be "real" aftermarket lights but that doesnt mean they are quality ones, and / or have anything to do with OEM parts for a Tesla vehicle.

Are they fake what?

Upvote 0
unfortunately you cant retrofit matrix headlights to prematrix cars. Something to do with the wireharness not supporting it.
They may genuinly be working but not on your car....
(even if tesla turns on matrix headlights in the config)
False
There is a couple of confirmed cases that matrix headlights are compatible with older vehicles even a 2018.
It's just a matter of getting a higher clearance on toolbox 3 software to have them reconfigured.

As far as those headlights I believe I saw those on eBay as well they claim that they're OEM, but for 480 bucks or so a pair seems kind of suspect. I reached out to them and they said that they are OEM but highly doubtful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230730_085603_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730_085603_Chrome.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_20230730_085619_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730_085619_Chrome.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20230730_085833_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730_085833_Chrome.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20230730_090016_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730_090016_eBay.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Candleflame
Upvote 0
interesting.... how come tesla themselves cant install them then (for customers who they tried it for)? I swear I read some topics here where people got them retrofitted but tesla couldnt activate them

And while tesla activate them if you ask them? Maybe I am thinking of the heated steering wheel retrofit.

Upvote 0
Hello, Tesla community! I have a 2020 M3 and wanted to retrofit the matrix headlights. Decided to order them from China (around 170$ each). The car has been taken to an unauthorized workshop to get them retrofitted. Unfortunately even after being "programmed" they cannot get calibrated. The diagnostician says that these are replicas and do not have the adjustment motors. What is your opinion?
Do the headlights work at all right now? Did you try redeploying your software?

Upvote 0
interesting.... how come tesla themselves cant install them then (for customers who they tried it for)? I swear I read some topics here where people got them retrofitted but tesla couldnt activate them

And while tesla activate them if you ask them?
Well Tesla corporate refused to put the software on for my PWS that I installed.
So they're just real dicks about not retrofitting anything to any vehicle regardless if it's 100% functional as OEM.
Kind of stupid as a goes against their sustainability part if we could retrofit parts.
So I had to find a nice mobile service tech to install the megaphone boombox and PWS software in my 2018 model 3 performance.
Functions as a brand new one installed from factory.
I'm assuming it's the same gig with the matrix headlights, just have to find a friendly service tech with engineering access with tool box 3 to reconfigure the car.. there is a guy that will do them remotely but he charges $450 for it 🤷

Upvote 0
i dont get how this works in the usa.... do you just request mobile service from different service centres until you find one happy to activate them?
Or are those semi-private independent techs?
Pretty much I requested to have remote activation of my PWS through the Tesla app and they said that they could originally but then they came back with my VIN number and said that it's not retrofitable, and I was like I already installed all the hardware I just need somebody to push down the software for it they refused over back and forth even though I told them that it's possible and I would take liability if something went wrong.

So I put in a service ticket to have my fender cameras replaced for blinker bleed and while the mobile service guy was out here working on my car I asked about it and it literally took not even 2 minutes to go on his laptop load the software in for it and done. I lucked out and got a cool ass service tech. Even made sure it was functional with the megaphone the horn the reverse sound and I've had update since and it hasn't broken anything so whatever they reconfigure in their sticks with the car. Officially Tesla will not support PWS retrofits but yet here I have a 2018 model 3 performance that has an oem PWS speaker and fully functional software to support it.

Reactions: EEP3D
Upvote 0
The headlights work, in fact, they illuminate quite well. The problem is that they are not adjusted, the left one is higher than the right one. When I try to adjust them from the service menu it just spins and does not let me in. I'm not sure what exactly did the workshop do, they are doing all kinds of unauthorized software mods to Tesla cars including this retrofit. They have "programmed" other matrix headlights before.

Reactions: davidalindsey
Upvote 0
The headlights work, in fact, they illuminate quite well. The problem is that they are not adjusted, the left one is higher than the right one. When I try to adjust them from the service menu it just spins and does not let me in. I'm not sure what exactly did the workshop do, they are doing all kinds of unauthorized software mods to Tesla cars including this retrofit. They have "programmed" other matrix headlights before.
Pm sent

Upvote 0
It sounds like there might be something wrong with the motors, but I would try redeploying the software. Also see if entering the adjustment menu while you're in service mode makes a difference (normally that allows for horizontal adjustment in addition to vertical, but perhaps it would also allow for an "initial setup" type of deal). Also see if service mode reports any errors.

Upvote 0