Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MAX charging speed of J1772 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am guessing that would be about 70 mph. So on a road trip you might need to charge for a couple of hours if a SC isn’t available assuming you can find a commercial EV charging station with that kind of power.

Good info to have in your hip pocket when road tripping.

Thanks
You won't; all of the public Level 2 charging infrastructure I have seen is 200-208V and 30/32A, maybe 40A.

In the US the only non-Tesla fast charging option is the $450 CHAdeMO adapter that supports up to 50kW; there is a rumored CCS adapter coming for South Korea, we will have to see Tesla offers this in the US.

Reactions: cwerdna
You won't; all of the public Level 2 charging infrastructure I have seen is 200-208V and 30/32A, maybe 40A.

In the US the only non-Tesla fast charging option is the $450 CHAdeMO adapter that supports up to 50kW; there is a rumored CCS adapter coming for South Korea, we will have to see Tesla offers this in the US.

Glad I asked, been playing around in Plug Share and trying to find usable chargers is a PITA.

Glad I asked, been playing around in Plug Share and trying to find usable chargers is a PITA.
Campgrounds typically have power for RVs. The standard is TT-30 (120V and 30 amps); campgrounds also may have 240V/50A power (NEMA 14-50). You may be able to pay for a few hours of charging or pay for the space that would normally be occupied by an RV. See RV Parky: RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos

The max for a model 3/y is 48a/240v though an AC connection. That is the limit on the built in AC to DC converter.
Yes, I'm not even sure if the Tesla J1772 adapter will support more than 48A since non of the current Tesla vehicles support Level 2 charging at greater than 48A. The J1772 standard does support up to 80A.

Yes, I'm not even sure if the Tesla J1772 adapter will support more than 48A since non of the current Tesla vehicles support Level 2 charging at greater than 48A. The J1772 standard does support up to 80A.

Some of the early cars would support 80a with the dual charger option. So I’d assume all the j1772 adapters support 80a.

Most public chargers in our area are 24a/208v. Likely depends on the area.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I use PlugShare when I travel. You can filter the display to show only specific plug types.

in general, nothing comes close to a Tesla SuperCharger for en route charging.

Outside Tesla, electric vehicles were viewed as local-only. The cars had tiny or small-ish batteries and low charge rates. The use-case was someone who wanted to add a handful of KWh to get home after running too many errands in town.

That won’t be appropriate for a large-battery Tesla looking for over 50 KWh to get over the horizon. Soon.

CHAdeMO is a distant second. It is less than half SuperCharger speed. Except in Canada, it’s pretty sparse. I think most Electrify America sites have one unit that allows vehicle to use either CHAdeMO or CCSA.

If you buy a CHAdeMO adapter, take it to Service Center every year or two for a “firmware update.” This updates the adapter’s software that translates from “Tesla charge” to the various CHAdeMO dialects. Both sides of the connection evolve over time.

If you don’t update you lower the odds that you will be able to start charging with the adapter. A corollary to Murphy’s Law suggests this will only happen late on a cold night in a small town with no other option to get the charge you need to reach your hotel 45 miles down the road.

Count on a leisurely meal and napping, walking or sightseeing if you are trying to recharge with CHAdeMO between destinations.

I bought a CHAdeMO adapter three years ago. Only used it twice. Once when I found a newly-installed unit while on a road trip and decided to verify operation with my Model S. Later, when CHAdeMO was enabled on Model 3, I drove to a CHAdeMO charger near our home and verified it in the 3.

After that, you’re talking long overnight charging. If the place you’re staying doesn’t have at least 24-Amp connectors, use PlugShare to find something nearby.

A few years back my wife & I had to stay in Waltham two times, separated by a few weeks. The first stay, my wife found a well-situated hotel. PlugShare showed a few reasonably powerful J1772 units in a parking lot across the street.

We checked in, took the bags to the room. I went back down, found the units, plugged in and signed in. The next morning, car was charged. I ferried it to the hotel lot. Breakfast, check out and on our way. There was no cost since the parking lot served an electric equipment company.

The second trip was a family event with mandatory hotel. No car chargers on-site. Nothing nearby. Each night, drove a few exits down 128 to Tesla store to use one of their Superchargers.

Today we drove to a beach house. Arrived with less than 10% charge. We’ve stayed here before. I unplugged the ground floor dryer, plugged in a 14-30 to 6-50 adapter cable. Then attached my 25-foot 6-50 extension cord and ran it down the hall towards the door into the garage.

Plugged in the Mobile Connector and started charging about 5:30 PM with current set to 24 Amps - 80% of the outlet’s 30-Amp rating.

Tesla App suggests we’ll reach 90% charge of our Model S 100 KWh battery by 8:30 AM.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great replies especially NickFie’s detailed response. I’m a disabled AF vet and I bought into the Tesla eco system for its ease, speed, safety and simplicity, I’m not willing or able to chase electrons and charging opportunities as outlined. On all three of my yearly family road trips I have found hotels with Destination chargers but even they aren’t needed as there are SC’ers just before or after the hotel. It’s a convince, but sadly I often find them ICE’d. I just can’t rely on them, emergency use only.

Again thanks for enlightening me, but I’ll stick to Tesla’s SC network.

I’m a disabled AF vet and I bought into the Tesla eco system for its ease, speed, safety and simplicity, I’m not willing or able to chase electrons and charging opportunities as outlined.
Thank you for your service and sacrifices.

You’ve made the important first decision-“Am I looking for a tool or an adventure?” You also figured out how to use Tesla as a tool. Looks like you now recognize the line where you would cross into the adventure zone.

Tesla is, in my experience the best road trip vehicle I’ve encountered in over 50 years of road trips. Quiet, smooth ride with air suspension, driver assists that significantly reduce fatigue.

My wife treats all technology as a tool. It should “just work” and be easy to use. I’m a tech geek eager to learn how things work and how I could push the boundaries.

I’m adventurous in my currently-on-pause solo road trips. As the stories above show, I handle the rough edges when we travel together. After the first year, Tesla is now my wife’s favorite road trip car, too.

Just to cement some things that were mentioned earlier with the uncertain "I think":
Yes, the J1772 adapter will pass 80A of current. The old Model S vehicles could take that, and some public J1772 stations were put on 100A stations that could provide 80A. But the newer cars can't take more than 48A, but as far as I know, they adapters are still the same ones they've always had and haven't been cheapened or downgraded to go with the cars' reduced capability.

there's an adapter already up on the tesla website. It's crazy expensive. Doing a roadtrip to oregon and there were prob only 2 chademo charging stations so not worth it unless you have money to spare