TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Max Model X non supercharger speed

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by RavynArcadia, Jan 3, 2020.

1. RavynArcadia

RavynArcadia F233347

I have one Model X with the Raven update (probably doesn't matter) Is there a point putting the HPWC on a 100A breaker if I have just the one Tesla? Would it charge faster than 48A?

From what the page with the HPWC says you only need to go bigger than 60A if you are daisy chaining chargers. I assume it would be a waste paying for higher gauge wire and breaker than necessary.

2. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

The materials really are not that much more.
    There are Teslas that charge at 72-80amps, and maybe your next Tesla might be capable of it as well.

You just bought a $100k car if the electrical box can support 100amps the materials upgrade is cheap. Only way I would do the 60amp is if the house needs a new breaker box or service line to support bigger.

3. RavynArcadia

RavynArcadia F233347

I just got mine the day after Christmas. I don't really expect a new one anytime soon. Does the 2020 X charge faster on a 100A vs a 60A?

4. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

No it doesn't but is this going to the the one and only Tesla you ever own?

The actual wire for a 100amp install was under $3 per foot last I looked, and the wire for a 60amp install is not free, and yes the breaker will cost more but again only like $40 as opposed to $10 depending on the brand.

People get it stuck in their heads that wire cost a lot, it doesn't.

5. RavynArcadia

RavynArcadia F233347

It might be the only one I buy at the house I'm currently living in.

• Like x 1
  6. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Does your electrical system even support an additional 100A? Many 200A panels already are using enough so that even 60A may be too much.
    If your panel is over loaded, there is a higher chance of fire, but even not, in case of an unrelated fire, your insurance may use it as an excuse not to pay

7. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Rocket Scientist

Your X can charge at up to 72 A.

• Disagree x 3
  8. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

The Max is 48A onboard charger on S/X/3 Long Range on recent models.

Wall Connector

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. SSonnentag

Hmmm, well, that’s lame.

10. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

You might be thinking of older X where some people bought the optional 72 Amp ability. Newer cars are not that way from what I understand.

• Like x 3
  11. SSonnentag

Apparently so. I didn't realize the newer cars were "dumbed" down. Both of ours support up to 72A.

12. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Ah, then you probably bought the higher charging option and maybe have an X that is 2017 or earlier? I'm not sure when T stopped having that option, but might have been in very late 2018 or 2019. Someone will know.
    We also have the 72A ability and I'm glad I got it.

edit: oh sorry, I now see when you bought your cars. Makes sense.

• Like x 1
  13. SSonnentag

Same here. It was standard on the 100D versions when we bought. I like having the faster charging speeds too. There have been a few times where a 4-hr recharge (20-90%) comes in handy vs. having to wait 7 hours.

• Like x 1
  14. Rkilian

Rkilian Member

Also most local fire codes require a local (right next to the charger) disconnect for services in excess of 60 amps. And the breaker doesn’t count.

15. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Tesla used to offer a higher cost 2nd onboard charger.

Since it is expensive, and weighs a lot,,,and there are lots more Superchargers and Destination chargers around, they dropped that option.

They significantly reduced their prices on S/X while noting that even the single charger will easily charge up the cars overnight.

The benifit of the faster dual on board chargers was only for people coming home with a low battery, who wanted to then go right back out again and needing a faster charge. In reality this was only a small sliver of the time, so the second on board charger was dropped.

The newer cars Supercharge so much faster as well, so the comprimise was thought to be good.

16. SSonnentag

I found our county code a bit vague, meaning I thought it could be interpreted in any of 2-3 ways, so I opted to install a disconnect right at the HPWCs just to remove all room for discussion. It doesn't look the prettiest, but it's functional. =)

Dual HPWCs.jpg

17. Batt Car

Batt Car Executive, engineer, entrepreneur, author, dad.

I had to purchase the extra onboard charger option for my X to have it charge at 72+ amps. All others are 48 amps only.

18. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

Bull. I have never found that scenario to be any use at all. I would dearly love the extra charger for road trips, though, and it has forced me to take our gas car because of that. There are still some 250+ mile gaps on some routes between Superchargers where businesses have installed 75 or 80 amp wall connectors that can meet that need to get across some of those gaps in reasonable times. With only 40 or 48 amp onboard charging that can be used from those, it makes it pretty unpleasant with some 2-3 hour wait times.

19. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Got a point there.

Tesla needs to close those gaps.