Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Model X non supercharger speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one Model X with the Raven update (probably doesn't matter) Is there a point putting the HPWC on a 100A breaker if I have just the one Tesla? Would it charge faster than 48A?

From what the page with the HPWC says you only need to go bigger than 60A if you are daisy chaining chargers. I assume it would be a waste paying for higher gauge wire and breaker than necessary.

The materials really are not that much more.
There are Teslas that charge at 72-80amps, and maybe your next Tesla might be capable of it as well.

You just bought a $100k car if the electrical box can support 100amps the materials upgrade is cheap. Only way I would do the 60amp is if the house needs a new breaker box or service line to support bigger.

The materials really are not that much more.
There are Teslas that charge at 72-80amps, and maybe your next Tesla might be capable of it as well.

You just bought a $100k car if the electrical box can support 100amps the materials upgrade is cheap. Only way I would do the 60amp is if the house needs a new breaker box or service line to support bigger.

I just got mine the day after Christmas. I don't really expect a new one anytime soon. Does the 2020 X charge faster on a 100A vs a 60A?

No it doesn't but is this going to the the one and only Tesla you ever own?

The actual wire for a 100amp install was under $3 per foot last I looked, and the wire for a 60amp install is not free, and yes the breaker will cost more but again only like $40 as opposed to $10 depending on the brand.

People get it stuck in their heads that wire cost a lot, it doesn't.

No it doesn't but is this going to the the one and only Tesla you ever own?

The actual wire for a 100amp install was under $3 per foot last I looked, and the wire for a 60amp install is not free, and yes the breaker will cost more but again only like $40 as opposed to $10 depending on the brand.

People get it stuck in their heads that wire cost a lot, it doesn't.

It might be the only one I buy at the house I'm currently living in.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I have one Model X with the Raven update (probably doesn't matter) Is there a point putting the HPWC on a 100A breaker if I have just the one Tesla? Would it charge faster than 48A?

From what the page with the HPWC says you only need to go bigger than 60A if you are daisy chaining chargers. I assume it would be a waste paying for higher gauge wire and breaker than necessary.
Does your electrical system even support an additional 100A? Many 200A panels already are using enough so that even 60A may be too much.
If your panel is over loaded, there is a higher chance of fire, but even not, in case of an unrelated fire, your insurance may use it as an excuse not to pay

Apparently so. I didn't realize the newer cars were "dumbed" down. Both of ours support up to 72A.
Ah, then you probably bought the higher charging option and maybe have an X that is 2017 or earlier? I'm not sure when T stopped having that option, but might have been in very late 2018 or 2019. Someone will know.
We also have the 72A ability and I'm glad I got it.

edit: oh sorry, I now see when you bought your cars. Makes sense.

Reactions: SSonnentag
Tesla used to offer a higher cost 2nd onboard charger.

Since it is expensive, and weighs a lot,,,and there are lots more Superchargers and Destination chargers around, they dropped that option.

They significantly reduced their prices on S/X while noting that even the single charger will easily charge up the cars overnight.

The benifit of the faster dual on board chargers was only for people coming home with a low battery, who wanted to then go right back out again and needing a faster charge. In reality this was only a small sliver of the time, so the second on board charger was dropped.

The newer cars Supercharge so much faster as well, so the comprimise was thought to be good.

Also most local fire codes require a local (right next to the charger) disconnect for services in excess of 60 amps. And the breaker doesn’t count.

I found our county code a bit vague, meaning I thought it could be interpreted in any of 2-3 ways, so I opted to install a disconnect right at the HPWCs just to remove all room for discussion. It doesn't look the prettiest, but it's functional. =)

Dual HPWCs.jpg

The benifit of the faster dual on board chargers was only for people coming home with a low battery,
Bull. I have never found that scenario to be any use at all. I would dearly love the extra charger for road trips, though, and it has forced me to take our gas car because of that. There are still some 250+ mile gaps on some routes between Superchargers where businesses have installed 75 or 80 amp wall connectors that can meet that need to get across some of those gaps in reasonable times. With only 40 or 48 amp onboard charging that can be used from those, it makes it pretty unpleasant with some 2-3 hour wait times.