Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
Any chance you have pics, and since its been a while, have you had any rubbing or any issues?
I have reposted a couple of pics. The MICHELIN PS AS4 265/40R21 and 295/40R21 are still riding fine with no rubbing, even under load, nice ride and as quiet as the OEMs. I am very happy with them.

Attachments

• 295 Side.jpg
    295 Side.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 653
  • 295 Rear.jpg
    295 Rear.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 511
Upvote 0
Have a laugh, I reduced wheel size to 20 inch 9.5 All round, 285/35/20 tires. MPP comphy kit set as low as possible, set slightly lower than MMP spec as NE Ohio roads are not too good. Drive some miles to my favorite test road with ridges and patches for about 2 miles. The kids where great the ride was faultless , probably due to the fact the road had been fully resurfaced!!!!!!!!. No seriously the car rides a lot better bumps are they are way better absorbed. Also high speed much less nervous.

Reactions: Charles415
Upvote 0
Looks great! How is the ride quality compared to stock tires?
On running with The MICHELIN PS AS4 265/40R21 and 295/40R21, the basic ride is a bit smoother but not a massive difference from the summer Pirelli OEMs. However, with the OEMs the smallest pothole was jarring and with the new tires, it is not an issue. I would say the overall dry road handling is similar, wet is of course better with the new all season tires.

Upvote 0
Have a laugh, I reduced wheel size to 20 inch 9.5 All round, 285/35/20 tires. MPP comphy kit set as low as possible, set slightly lower than MMP spec as NE Ohio roads are not too good. Drive some miles to my favorite test road with ridges and patches for about 2 miles. The kids where great the ride was faultless , probably due to the fact the road had been fully resurfaced!!!!!!!!. No seriously the car rides a lot better bumps are they are way better absorbed. Also high speed much less nervous.
What wheels are you running--and which brand tire?

Upvote 0
Hey All, about to take delivery of my model y performance this friday. I have scheduled an appointment with discount tire 2 hrs after my delivery to get the rears swapped to the front and add new tires to the rear. I am guessing my MYP will come with michelin pilot all season 4 tires so thats what I ordered for the rears.

Have there been any issues that folks have seen over thousands of miles with the 275/35r21 fronts and 295/35r21 rears? alignment, rubbing, etc? I have seen dozens of people go this route on here and thats what drove me to choose it. Curious of long term opinions.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi guys! I have a MYLR and have swapped my stock rims and tires with the 21” uberturbine set. Have had no problems with it, but now it’s time to replace the tires. I was hoping to do a squared set up like what numerous people have been doing. So I ordered 265/40/21 fronts and 295/35/21 rears. Yesterday, we tried to install the fronts in Discount Tires, and they were rubbing. So I was advised to look for another size. Does anyone have any idea why it seems to work for them (MYP) and it is rubbing on mine (MYLR). Aren’t the wheel wells similar for both models?

Upvote 0
Hi guys! I have a MYLR and have swapped my stock rims and tires with the 21” uberturbine set. Have had no problems with it, but now it’s time to replace the tires. I was hoping to do a squared set up like what numerous people have been doing. So I ordered 265/40/21 fronts and 295/35/21 rears. Yesterday, we tried to install the fronts in Discount Tires, and they were rubbing. So I was advised to look for another size. Does anyone have any idea why it seems to work for them (MYP) and it is rubbing on mine (MYLR). Aren’t the wheel wells similar for both models?
MYP is lower? I don't know.. that's my only guess.

Upvote 0
check what the offsets are on the Uberturbines vs the Geminis.
also, see Tyre Size Calculator

Upvote 0
check what the offsets are on the Uberturbines vs the Geminis.
also, see Tyre Size Calculator
Thank you so much for your reply... The Uberturbines are +40 fronts and +48 rears... While the Geminis are +45. Unfortunately, I am so sorry, I don't know what to do with these information. Hope to get some guidance... I just thought I could use the same as what the MYPs use.

Upvote 0
This statement confuses me—square would mean same wheel/rubber spec on both axles….
Yes you are correct... Sorry, I am just really not that much knowledgeable on the terms and these things. I was actually after the squared look of the tires as compared to Tesla's stretched stock tires. I did not mean square as in same size of wheels and tires for front and back. Thank you for pointing that out.

Reactions: MJP.P3D-
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your reply... The Uberturbines are +40 fronts and +48 rears... While the Geminis are +45. Unfortunately, I am so sorry, I don't know what to do with these information. Hope to get some guidance... I just thought I could use the same as what the MYPs use.

Upvote 0