Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
How has it worked for you? Are you happy with it?
I just did the same for my MYP. Swapped the rear 275’s to the front and bought new 295’s for the rear (Michelin AS4’s). The extra load and higher speed rating required for this car means good tires are not cheap, but you can take this step for under $1000 and it rides and looks great. Much better than original. When I replace all 4 tires next time I may go from the 35’s to 40’s—but this set up is better than original for sure.

Attachments

• 02879811-D3D2-4C13-BC16-66C503AAD452.jpeg
    02879811-D3D2-4C13-BC16-66C503AAD452.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 545
  • 8A32B8DF-1BC1-4190-83D9-167A19AB4D12.jpeg
    8A32B8DF-1BC1-4190-83D9-167A19AB4D12.jpeg
    768.9 KB · Views: 455
  • DECDA0B8-56EF-41A1-8DBD-25FE42DE60EE.jpeg
    DECDA0B8-56EF-41A1-8DBD-25FE42DE60EE.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 437
  • B2F883B6-BD4E-4D97-882B-8A5B703B6604.jpeg
    B2F883B6-BD4E-4D97-882B-8A5B703B6604.jpeg
    655.6 KB · Views: 473
Upvote 0
I just did the same for my MYP. Swapped the rear 275’s to the front and bought new 295’s for the rear (Michelin AS4’s). The extra load and higher speed rating required for this car means good tires are not cheap, but you can take this step for under $1000 and it rides and looks great. Much better than original. When I replace all 4 tires next time I may go from the 35’s to 40’s—but this set up is better than original for sure.
Are you running the OEM (acoustic tech) version of AS4 in front then and non-acoustic 295s in the rear? I'm looking to buy 275/295 AS4s but they only have the acoustic version available in 275 size. Have you noticed any handling/noise difference after you made the swap?

Upvote 0
Hi all and thanks everyone for posting their experiences

I have a 3 week old MYP and thinking of doing the tire upgrade but mixing the two approaches that have been talked about. Are there any negatives to:
- move stock 275/35 to the front
- upgrade rear to 295/40

Ie having a slightly different side wall height between front and rear?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi all and thanks everyone for posting their experiences

I have a 3 week old MYP and thinking of doing the tire upgrade but mixing the two approaches that have been talked about. Are there any negatives to:
- move stock 275/35 to the front
- upgrade rear to 295/40

Ie having a slightly different side wall height between front and rear?

Thanks!
Personally I'd just go 35 instead of the 40 (as you already own it) but outside of speed inconsistency (which would be present anyway) and forward (lean) bias, it would certainly work.
That said, I'm sure someone will chime in more technically as to ill effects (if any).

Upvote 0
Update after two weeks with new 265/40ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 FULL RING VELOUR XL on the front and 295/40ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 FULL RING VELOUR XL on the rear, all ordered from TireRack.com and installed locally with no spacers...

Subjective impressions: It's possible that these tires are a little bit noisier - but I'm not sure. If they are, it's relatively slight. They seem a bit more "comfortable" absorbing road imperfections, but it's not life-changing. I'm not the kind of driver that would be able to tell you if they're better/worse under heavy maneuvering - but under "normal" driving loads they seem great. And it isn't wintry weather here yet, so no opinions on snow/ice/etc.

No rubbing that I've noticed, but I haven't bottomed the suspension - again, I'm not that kind of driver... In my opinion, the larger sidewalls look better. Sorry about the un-washed condition of the tires/wheels - I'll clean 'em up soon, I promise...

Attachments

• IMG_3811.jpeg
    IMG_3811.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_3812.jpeg
    IMG_3812.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_3925.jpeg
    IMG_3925.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_3926.jpeg
    IMG_3926.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 442
Upvote 0
Brand new 2022 MYP build date 6/22 with 105 miles. It came with Michelins and I put the rear 275/35zr21 on the front and new 295/35zr21 on the rears. I have not driven much since I just did it today, but it appears much safer for rough roads and potholes.
Hi Floyd,

I saw your post about the tire size combos - does this impact your speedometer and odometer readings ? I see so many tire size combos, but the one you did (as well as others) seems to be one of the least aggressive while also giving some more sidewall to the front wheels which is absolutely needed Thanks much

Upvote 0
Hi Floyd,

I saw your post about the tire size combos - does this impact your speedometer and odometer readings ? I see so many tire size combos, but the one you did (as well as others) seems to be one of the least aggressive while also giving some more sidewall to the front wheels which is absolutely needed Thanks much
But ask yourself does a 5% speed difference make any change to your driving style

Upvote 0
I have had Zero wheel damage and Zero tire damage from the taller and wider tire size I switched to. Ride is better and the stance is better. I also have zero concerns with any minor speedometer and range difference this tire size may have caused. It was the first thing I did after reading how many Tesla owners have had gotten flats, damaged wheels from potholes and scraped wheels on driveways and curbs. Not saying that I am immune to any future damage but so far so great.

Upvote 0
I have had Zero wheel damage and Zero tire damage from the taller and wider tire size I switched to. Ride is better and the stance is better. I also have zero concerns with any minor speedometer and range difference this tire size may have caused. It was the first thing I did after reading how many Tesla owners have had gotten flats, damaged wheels from potholes and scraped wheels on driveways and curbs. Not saying that I am immune to any future damage but so far so great.
Exactly this.

Upvote 0
I'm interested in this mod but I'm afraid of the impact on the range. Does it change or decrease?
Thank you in advance.
Which begs the question……….
What’s the narrowest tire (square setup) you can run on a MYP without a negative impact on 0-60?
I would think a lighter wheel/tire setup would have a positive impact on both range and 0-60 times. Has anyone found the limit?

Upvote 0