Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May AWD/Performance Orders -- VIN / Status Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been noticing that, as well. My config differs from what appears to be the "tester" config only by interior color. I have yet to hear about any red P's with black interior being delivered -- only white. However, there have been a few Aero deliveries, and those are definitely not the top-margin cars (assuming there's some markup built into the $5K performance upgrade package).

Hmm. From the sheet (however representative it is or isn't): P+PP=155 rows. (I'm using 20" wheels as the proxy for PP -- I don't see a distinct PP element.)

P with 18, 19, or unspecified: 78. White seats: 26, Black: 47, (others/blank).

Zero of 26 P with white seats have VINs or delivery dates.
12 of 47 P with black seats have VINs or delivery dates; all VINs are 62xxx, 63xxx, or 73xxx, compared to the PPs which are all 55xxx.
Body colors among the 12 seem pretty uniformly distributed; all are 18s.

7 July deliveries are indicated:
@ForeverFree last Friday, red.
@Laver Thursday, white.
@strangely yesterday, red.
@supersonic yesterday, msm.
"markadam" yesterday, silver.
"Cryowatt" today, red.
@Bruin1996 tomorrow, silver.

5 August deliveries indicated.

Reactions: tvisdog
Black/Black PP no Vin or delivery date. Hopefully they can haul some black seats over to the tent soon!
(as dumb as that sounds...)

I'm not sure it's dumb at all. Based on my above and previous posts, a theory: Things can change, but at the points in time that were driving current VIN assignments, plant logistics were set up with the tent line running only PP/20/white, and another line with only P/18/black.

I've been noticing that, as well. My config differs from what appears to be the "tester" config only by interior color. I have yet to hear about any red P's with black interior being delivered -- only white. However, there have been a few Aero deliveries, and those are definitely not the top-margin cars (assuming there's some markup built into the $5K performance upgrade package).
Yeah, it seems that only cars with performance upgrades package and white interior or non-upgrades cars with black interior are being delivered right now... no black interior upgrades cars or white interior non-upgrades cars.

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at Jul 28, 9.05.07 AM .png

Red Performance but not the performance plus bits.. black interior

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Nope, still Aug-Oct. Isn’t reading tea leaves fun? What were your dates?

Reservation time: 2016-03-31 18:07 UTC (11:07AM PDT)
Ordered: 2018-06-26 23:57 UTC (4:57PM PDT)

My order was screwed up (missing codes), though, and Tesla "fixed" it earlier this week, which is the first time I'd ever seen my estimated times. They also changed my order time according to my MVPA. I called them about it, but the guy one the phone didn't seem to think it mattered (and didn't/couldn't fix it).

Welp, no VIN yet but got an email today with delivery date of Aug 8.

Res Date: 3/31/16
Order Date: 6/2/18
VIN: N/A
Delivery: Aug 8
Config: Pearl white, black interior, non-P AWD, EAP, Aero

@thebigbobowski - When did your Edit button go away? And when did you confirm your details on the .com site for the car? Just trying to get an idea of where they are at in the process. Did you get a phone call before your email? Or just the email? Sorry for all the questions. Just losing my mind over here trying to figure out when I'm going to get notified. :)

@thebigbobowski - When did your Edit button go away? And when did you confirm your details on the .com site for the car? Just trying to get an idea of where they are at in the process. Did you get a phone call before your email? Or just the email? Sorry for all the questions. Just losing my mind over here trying to figure out when I'm going to get notified. :)
My edit button went away and I was able to upload images for my trade-in on Thursday. I got the email with delivery date yesterday (Friday). I confirmed all info minus the trade-in back when I configured on June 2. Trade-in was grayed out until Thursday.

Reactions: tommyboy21
I'm not sure it's dumb at all. Based on my above and previous posts, a theory: Things can change, but at the points in time that were driving current VIN assignments, plant logistics were set up with the tent line running only PP/20/white, and another line with only P/18/black.
This would make sense to plow through similarly optioned cars one right after another for efficiency. The “dumb” part I was referring to was- “hauling black seats to the tent” is something you say when setting up a wedding reception, not building the most technologically advanced cars on earth ;)

My delivery is 7 days away.....( actually 6 days and 19 hours - but who's counting ).

I was told that VINs are provided about a week before a delivery is to occur.

I just looked at my account to see if Tesla is on track ...and

and

and

ITS HERE!!! I HAVE MY VIN!!!!!!! WHOO-HOOO!!. Go Tesla Go!!!

Interesting though.

I thought my VIN would be a lot higher than it is. Its 55xxxx. The highest VIN listed so far is somewhere around 77xxx according to the NHTSA.

Does that mean that there are some 20k Model 3's out there still waiting to be delivered? if so....WOW!!!!!!

Go Tesla Go.....make them cars. <---grammatical necessity. lol

anyone get blue with black interior yet?
P with AP@FSD addons?

seems like that’s the highest priced config (except white interior)

my acct locked. no edit. all details have been filled out and confirmed. license ins payment method etc
yet two friends got the delivery window and i didn’t yet :/

they are grey with white int NO FSD
he was 3rd in line at store on 3/31 morning in westchester NY. delv 8/17-8/24

blue with white int AP and FSD
(he was at model 3 unveil - bust wasn’t asked to configure until weeks after us) deliv8/24-8/31

and i was 7th at westchester mall. we were there at 5am to wait in line haha

but. now i’m hearing reg AWDs are getting delivered.

just wondering feedback from everyone. worth worrying?

anyone get blue with black interior yet?
P with AP@FSD addons?

seems like that’s the highest priced config (except white interior)

my acct locked. no edit. all details have been filled out and confirmed. license ins payment method etc
yet two friends got the delivery window and i didn’t yet :/

they are grey with white int NO FSD
he was 3rd in line at store on 3/31 morning in westchester NY. delv 8/17-8/24

blue with white int AP and FSD
(he was at model 3 unveil - bust wasn’t asked to configure until weeks after us) deliv8/24-8/31

and i was 7th at westchester mall. we were there at 5am to wait in line haha

but. now i’m hearing reg AWDs are getting delivered.

just wondering feedback from everyone. worth worrying?
You got performance upgrade package? I believe they are currently only making non PP with black interior and PP with white interior.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALERT!!! ALERT!!! "Houston....we have a problem"

My VIN appears to be wrong.

Here are the first 8 characters of my VIN - 5YJ3E1EB

Look at that 8th digit!!!! "B"?

Can anyone verify the following for the 8th digit?

8: Motor/Drive Unit

1 – single motor, standard
3 – single motor, performance
2 – dual motor, standard
4 – dual motor, performance <-----------I'm supposed to have a 4 . Do P100D model S's have a 4 in the eighth digit?
A – single motor, standard
B – dual motor, standard

What in the world is this? I am - all buttons checked - performance Model 3 of the performance version with EAP and FSD!!!!!!.

Can someone verify I'm reading this properly?

Last edited:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the first 5 characters of my VIN - 5YJ3E1EB

2 – dual motor, standard
4 – dual motor, performance <-----------I'm supposed to have a 4 . Do P100D model S's have a 4 in the eighth digit?
B – dual motor, standard

What in the world is this? I am - all buttons checked - performance Model 3 of the performance version with EAP and FSD!!!!!!.

Your VIN is correct. AWD drivetrain is mechanically identical to P3D, so no reason to differentiate for the P models. Be happy your insurance will be cheaper ;)

Reactions: jbcarioca and favo

Here are the first 5 characters of my VIN - 5YJ3E1EB

2 – dual motor, standard
B – dual motor, standard

I have a Dual Motor Performance, that also has a B in the 8th spot.