Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU, EAP, FSD, HW3, ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Morning. Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question(s)......

I have a Model S with EAP built in 02/2018. I also have a brand new MX that I just took delivery of in 07/2019. The UI is night and day in terms of speed so it got me to thinking/researching.

I'm gathering that my S probably has an older MCU (different chipset), but I'm not sure how to confirm that? If true, I'm assuming that is the UI difference i'm seeing?

Also, if I were to purchase FSD for the S, would I get upgrades that would make the interface more like the X or are those 2 different things in terms of hardware (MCU vs. HW2/2.5/3)?

TIA

I think there's a way to tell with a webpage that hands back your user agent or something like that on the forums somewhere.

A more direct way to tell us to hold the two buttons above the scrollwheels down for several seconds.

On an MCU1 car, that'll reboot the instrument cluster computer and you'll see the cluster black out for a bit.

On an MCU2 car, it won't do anything - the instrument cluster is a second screen for the MCU2 and reboots with that computer on the scroll wheels.

Upgrading to FSD won't affect the MCU. That will require the replacement of the Autopilot computer in the dash, which isn't related to the MCU computer.

Elon and Tesla have given contradictory answers about whether a MCU upgrade is possible/will be offered in the future.

Reactions: jewilson2
I'm gathering that my S probably has an older MCU (different chipset), but I'm not sure how to confirm that? If true, I'm assuming that is the UI difference i'm seeing?

Correct, your S has MCU1. (As do all S&X built before March, 2018. Your X has MCU2.

Also, if I were to purchase FSD for the S, would I get upgrades that would make the interface more like the X or are those 2 different things in terms of hardware (MCU vs. HW2/2.5/3)?

The MCU and AP computer are separate units, so updating AP to HW3 will still leave you with MCU1.

Reactions: jewilson2
Also do you guys know if there is a definite VIN after which all cars are MCU2?

VINs aren't 100% sequential, Tesla changeovers are seldom complete instantaneous events. I don't think there's one VIN that was all MCU1 before and is all MCU2 after.

Presumably there's a point far enough after the event that you could say all later cars are MCU2, but I don't know where that is (and a lot of but not all VINs for a period before that would be MCU2 as well.)