Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU is dead, car is bricked, Tesla is being unforgivably terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But Tesla is currently in a very serious situation
Tesla is always "in a very serious situation". That's how they grow the business as fast as they do, and why I'm driving a Tesla rather than yet another Ford --after two different Mondeo, an S-Max and a Focus, with some VW and Audi thrown in between the Fords.

And Tesla were getting my money partly because I want car companies navel-staring at their ICE business to transition to electric vehicles yesterday, instead of "maximising shareholder value" while messing up the environment. They need someone like Tesla to eke them on, and buying a Tesla is my contribution (but hey, I get a nice car in the process).

Mind you, Ford is also in a very serious situation, as is BMW, but with a lethargic response rather than an aggressive and risky drive to grow. And Fiat-Chrysler isn't really on a bed of roses either.

Last edited:
Tesla is always "in a very serious situation". That's how they grow the business as fast as they do, and why I'm driving a Tesla rather than yet another Ford --after two different Mondeo, an S-Max and a Focus, with some VW and Audi thrown in between the Fords.

Ok, so you are a fan of Tesla. That doesn't mean anything about how likely they are to be successful. They had a sketchy streak trying to get the model 3 production up at volume. But I don't think that was a big risk. The biggest risk was that Musk might screw it up rather than letting his people solve the problems. In spite of it all there was really just a three month or so delay getting the car production numbers up to what they needed to be and they did, big whoop!

Now they have a two year window where they need to get two factories up and running. Lots of costs and with their track record no one is expecting them to meet any sort of a schedule, not that Tesla is really committing to much. The commitment is not the issue, the revenue stream is. Once they start hiring at each factory they will have very large costs and need to get cars out the door in the hands of customers who want them in order to bring in money to pay those salaries. Two factories, two years. That's a much bigger risk than anything they have done so far.

And Tesla were getting my money partly because I want car companies navel-staring at their ICE business to transition to electric vehicles yesterday, instead of "maximising shareholder value" while messing up the environment. They need someone like Tesla to eke them on, and buying a Tesla is my contribution (but hey, I get a nice car in the process).

Tesla is doing a wonderful job of "eking" them on... or were. Now that their finances are in the dumper the other companies are watching closely to see just how much demand there is for the model 3 and will be watching for the model Y.

When I researched why we don't have thorium reactors in the US I found there is a huge economic barrier. The first company to jump all the hurtles of the NRC will have very, very high costs to do that. They refer to it by saying this is an area where everyone wants to be second. LIkewise the other companies are happy to let Tesla be the ground breaker to make all the mistakes while making very little or no profit. The other companies can avoid Tesla's mistakes and come into the market second or third and do a much better job of making a profit.

The majority of car buyers don't actually want the "revolution" that Tesla brings. They want cars that work, work reliably and don't have problems with charging. Even today there are many issues with owning a Tesla EV when it comes to getting them charged. Most owners are in denial, just waiving off the issues since they usually only find them to be minor inconveniences. But the majority of car owners don't want to sacrifice anything for EVs.

Mind you, Ford is also in a very serious situation, as is BMW, but with a lethargic response rather than an aggressive and risky drive to grow. And Fiat-Chrysler isn't really on a bed of roses either.

Who really cares? Ford's or BMW's situation won't make Tesla any more financially solvent.

Reactions: GreenT
Ok I’ll bite, describe to me how you personally would fix something you can’t duplicate?

There is a second half to his statement where he mentions that they do not try very hard to duplicate the issue.

Tesla service center experience seems a good case study on human interaction. I have seen others have real problems that cannot get resolved at my local SC in Tysons Corner, when at the same time I rarely have the same experience.

Car "bricked" in my garage. Had to be towed out. MCU would not come on. Car would not go into D R or N. No reset approach worked. Tesla had roadside service tow car. This is a Friday.

Friday: no communication from Tesla, as emergency roadside assistance said I would get (confirming receipt at service center)
Saturday: no communication from Tesla. Repeated calls to service center on status. Rings to voicemail. Voicemail full.
Sunday: no communication from Tesla.
Monday: no communication from Tesla. Repeated calls to service center on status. Rings to voicemail. Voicemail full.

Exasperated, 4 days without my car, not even knowing where the car ended up or whether it got their safely, I called roadside emergency assistance so I could talk to a human. No help. Told me to call # that goes to full voicemail. Finally I kept calling the local Sales team and literally begged them to help me. Hung up phone. Two hours later I get text from 202 number from person named Marie who doesn't cite their title, location, or anything, and says, "Hi XXXX, your vehicle is here with us at the Tesla service center. We have ordered a replacement Media Control Unit for your vehicle. At this time I do not have a time frame for the part but I will let you know as soon as we have an estimated time of arrival. Thank you, Marie."

No estimate.

No offer of loaner.

Sorry, but this is total horsesh*t. The lack of communication. Lack of parts. Lack of compassion. Lack of everything.

I am a huge Tesla fan, shareholder, evangelist, all the things.

This is completely unacceptable.

Those considering a Tesla should read this thread as part of making an informed decision.

Consider yourself "lucky." I have a bricked 2011 Roadster 2.5 Sport with 250 miles on it. Yes, you read that right, 250 total miles on the odometer. Loaded. Kept it garaged and enrolled in an EV charging program with the electric company, and kept it plugged in 24/7. The 12 volt battery also died. Had it towed to the local service center, and the service team could not determine why the battery pack is dead, or why it will not charge. The 1 - 3 year battery warranty no longer applies. To add insult to injury, it has been impossible for me to order a new $29,000 battery pack. The battery pack is considered an ACCESSORY! I've tried calling Tesla customer service, sales, etc. After lengthy wait periods on hold, they transfer me to "accessories." Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade. My question is, has anyone looked into a class action suit against Tesla?

Consider yourself "lucky." I have a bricked 2011 Roadster 2.5 Sport with 250 miles on it. Yes, you read that right, 250 total miles on the odometer. Loaded. Kept it garaged and enrolled in an EV charging program with the electric company, and kept it plugged in 24/7. The 12 volt battery also died. Had it towed to the local service center, and the service team could not determine why the battery pack is dead, or why it will not charge. The 1 - 3 year battery warranty no longer applies. To add insult to injury, it has been impossible for me to order a new $29,000 battery pack. The battery pack is considered an ACCESSORY! I've tried calling Tesla customer service, sales, etc. After lengthy wait periods on hold, they transfer me to "accessories." Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade. My question is, has anyone looked into a class action suit against Tesla?
Oh my *sugar* $29k for the battery? !?!

Oh my *sugar* $29k for the battery? !?!
Sort of. From the Tesla website the poster linked to:
The price of the battery upgrade is $29,000, including all labor and logistics, which is equal to Tesla's expected cost. It is not our intention to make a profit on the battery pack. The reason the cost per kWh is higher than a Model S battery is due to the almost entirely hand-built, low-volume (only 2 or 3 per week) nature of Roadster battery packs. It also includes additional work to remove, upgrade, and reinstall the power electronics module (PEM.)
So this is an unusual case -- a handbuilt, custom new roadster battery with more capacity than the original. And it appears the battery pack can't be built with (semi) automation due to low volume and its design...

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer
When I bought my 1st "S" in 2014 I thought the CS was fantastic. I got my 2nd in 2016 and it was good. Now, I don't think there is any in S. Cal. I can't get anyone on the phone to even answer a basic. The sales staff says use the "chat" line to get questions answered. Th chat line says all ?'s answered in 24-48 hours. Well it has been 10 days and no answer.

I'm told by sales (since you can't get to anyone else) to make an appointment with Costa Mesa and when you drive in, wait in line, you can ask a ?. WHAT !!!! This is ridiculous.

Anyone else have this problem in S. Cal. or is it just me that must have a rain cloud over my head!

Scott

• Informative
Reactions: ReddykwRun
When I bought my 1st "S" in 2014 I thought the CS was fantastic. I got my 2nd in 2016 and it was good. Now, I don't think there is any in S. Cal. I can't get anyone on the phone to even answer a basic. The sales staff says use the "chat" line to get questions answered. Th chat line says all ?'s answered in 24-48 hours. Well it has been 10 days and no answer.

I'm told by sales (since you can't get to anyone else) to make an appointment with Costa Mesa and when you drive in, wait in line, you can ask a ?. WHAT !!!! This is ridiculous.

Anyone else have this problem in S. Cal. or is it just me that must have a rain cloud over my head!

Scott

There's really no need to copy and paste this into a bunch of different threads.

Really.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVCarGUy and GreenT
Does the BMS get its power from the 12V battery? Is that why it quit charging and got bricked?

Lots of people want to class action suit Tesla. What would be your grounds for suing?

• Informative
Reactions: ReddykwRun
Car "bricked" in my garage. Had to be towed out. MCU would not come on. Car would not go into D R or N. No reset approach worked. Tesla had roadside service tow car. This is a Friday.

Friday: no communication from Tesla, as emergency roadside assistance said I would get (confirming receipt at service center)
Saturday: no communication from Tesla. Repeated calls to service center on status. Rings to voicemail. Voicemail full.
Sunday: no communication from Tesla.
Monday: no communication from Tesla. Repeated calls to service center on status. Rings to voicemail. Voicemail full.

Exasperated, 4 days without my car, not even knowing where the car ended up or whether it got their safely, I called roadside emergency assistance so I could talk to a human. No help. Told me to call # that goes to full voicemail. Finally I kept calling the local Sales team and literally begged them to help me. Hung up phone. Two hours later I get text from 202 number from person named Marie who doesn't cite their title, location, or anything, and says, "Hi XXXX, your vehicle is here with us at the Tesla service center. We have ordered a replacement Media Control Unit for your vehicle. At this time I do not have a time frame for the part but I will let you know as soon as we have an estimated time of arrival. Thank you, Marie."

No estimate.

No offer of loaner.

Sorry, but this is total horsesh*t. The lack of communication. Lack of parts. Lack of compassion. Lack of everything.

I am a huge Tesla fan, shareholder, evangelist, all the things.

This is completely unacceptable.

Those considering a Tesla should read this thread as part of making an informed decision.

I hear you you. I was trying to upload a post about what I discovered at a nearby "service center" but I am clueless as where to upload a post.

Stopped by the Pensacola "service center" recently to inquire about the location of the planned Super Charger location coming to Pensacola, FL and was terribly underwhelmed. Currently it is housed in a leased bare bones metal building, and I mean bare. No tool boxes, no storage shelves, no service bays that you would expect to see in a repair shop, no work benches, parts were laying on the floor in the corner and many were not even boxed, very dim lighting, looks like a traveling road show which could pack up and be gone in 1 hour, max. No sign of any permanent infrastructure at all. They had a few wooden pallets forming a barrier around some parts laying on the floor and that was it. Had all the thought and planning of a meth lab. There were 3 Model S's and a Model 3 parked outside but nothing was inside.
I am a retired USCG Aircraft Mechanic/Aircrew and I know a little about what it takes to set up shop to do maintenance and repairs and this was just plain scary.

They didn't take it to the SC in Canada where they fired everyone on the staff there did they? Would explain no one picking up? Poor attempt to lighten it up but man that sucks. Best of luck.
Dzm

Totally disagree - not sure Tesla needs someone who knows how to run a car company....they'd probably establish dealerships and make Tesla into GM 'like'. Tesla just needs an innovator to concentrate on the brand and vision instead of everything in the solar system: digging tunnels, building computers that transport passengers ie the autos, autonomous vessels at sea, launching satellites, flying to mars, living on mars....

Dzm

Stopped by the Pensacola "service center" recently to inquire about the location of the planned Super Charger location coming to Pensacola, FL and was terribly underwhelmed. Currently it is housed in a leased bare bones metal building, and I mean bare. No tool boxes, no storage shelves, no service bays that you would expect to see in a repair shop, no work benches, parts were laying on the floor in the corner and many were not even boxed, very dim lighting, looks like a traveling road show which could pack up and be gone in 1 hour, max. No sign of any permanent infrastructure at all. They had a few wooden pallets forming a barrier around some parts laying on the floor and that was it. Had all the thought and planning of a meth lab. There were 3 Model S's and a Model 3 parked outside but nothing was inside.

I am a retired USCG Aircraft Mechanic/Aircrew and I know a little about what it takes to set up shop to do maintenance and repairs and this was just plain scary.

4 There will be plenty of need for parts from collisions alone, something Tesla clearly has never accounted for since it takes months to get a Tesla repaired after simple fender benders. If anything happens to a Tesla be prepared to not see it for at least 3 months. This should be on their marketing material.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert

Scott
Have you tried Buena Park? I know that they are opening another service center towards the East and it may alleviate some of the traffic from Costa Mesa. I have noticed since the M3 came out its just crazzzzy at both service centers in the O.C.