Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU/Touchscreen Responsiveness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before trading in our 2016 S two weeks ago, I thought the MCU worked fine as long as I didn’t use pinch and zoom, zooming only with the buttons. 2018.50 was actually much better than some previous releases.

MCU 2 is much faster. The upgrade is not as easy as it would appear since they would also need to replace the instrument cluster display. The new MCU drives both screens now.

Question for those that feel the MCU is unbearably slow - do you use the satellite view for maps?

MCU1 certainly isn't a speed demon or anything, and is showing its age with v9, but I can't say I find it unbearable or even particularly cumbersome. That said, I never use the browser and almost never use the satellite view for maps. I'm wondering if rendering the satellite tiles vs the vector maps is making things worse?

MCU1 was fine for me until the last update and now I'm seeing issues that I am assuming are related to MCU1 vs MCU2. I don't use the browser either and do use satellite view but rarely zoom in. For me the desire to upgrade to MCU2 is two fold: 1) I like to have the latest tech, but more importantly 2) So that my hardware is keeping up with the firmware. In the past year I have never had my 2018 P100D self reboot or have a black screen that took a nervous several minutes to reboot until the 2019.x.x update.

Before trading in our 2016 S two weeks ago, I thought the MCU worked fine as long as I didn’t use pinch and zoom, zooming only with the buttons. 2018.50 was actually much better than some previous releases.

MCU 2 is much faster. The upgrade is not as easy as it would appear since they would also need to replace the instrument cluster display. The new MCU drives both screens now.

Not easy, but is it even doable ? Hasn't His Holiness mentioned the upgrade as something that will happen ? I know this means next to nothing, but has this upgrade been performed on anyones vehicle yet ?

I wish it can be done at a reasonable cost. Tesla has to acknowledge that their cars are not $1000 iPhone that are built with planned obsolesce and most consumers can just buy one in 2 years. A model s 3 x should last 10 years and customers expects it to be supported, upgrade of parts that become significantly degraded should be planned for.

My understanding is that the map is a memory hog.
I get that, so if the memory isn’t soldered to the board, then they can add more, or replace the MCU, instead of having to trade in an $80k car after 2-3 years because of a software upgrade. I really don't think after all the issues with apple in recent years Tesla would do this, especially with a majority of people already skeptical about EV’s

• Funny
Reactions: kavyboy
The touchscreen performance is broken with v9. Tesla must fix it. Period.

How do I encourage the ICE owner sitting in the passenger seat to buy a Tesla when they notice the MCU's performance? Can't tell them they need to buy a new Tesla every few years because the company's software updates are known to break the car's functionalities often.

I get that, so if the memory isn’t soldered to the board, then they can add more, or replace the MCU, instead of having to trade in an $80k car after 2-3 years because of a software upgrade. I really don't think after all the issues with apple in recent years Tesla would do this, especially with a majority of people already skeptical about EV’s

If the memory isn't soldered to the board, I'd go out and buy additional memory right now for the darn thing. I am like 99.9999% sure that the memory is soldered to the board, and that it is proprietary memory.

The touchscreen performance is broken with v9. Tesla must fix it. Period.

How do I encourage the ICE owner sitting in the passenger seat to buy a Tesla when they notice the MCU's performance? Can't tell them they need to buy a new Tesla every few years because the company's software updates are known to break the car's functionalities often.

If the memory isn't soldered to the board, I'd go out and buy additional memory right now for the darn thing. I am like 99.9999% sure that the memory is soldered to the board, and that it is proprietary memory.

Agreed - I first noticed this when trying to show a friend how to plan a trip with superchargers. As soon as you zoom out it takes a while to load the map view on MCU1, in my experience MCU2 is about 5x faster for this task.

It seems like opening the drawing app forces the system to clear RAM that is not in use. This is probably because the drawing app uses a significant amount of RAM. After closing it you are starting with a clean slate similar to rebooting the MCU.

Tesla’s business model is built around the “connected” vehicle. I’m thinking there has to be a plan in the works to offer upgrades from MCU1 to MCU2. The problem is the lack of foresight as the RAM is definitely soldered to the board.

• Funny
Reactions: ICE collector
Tesla is realizing they have to start cutting off new features MCU1 can’t handle like the DashCam feature. Sure, there are no side cameras but it would be nice to be able to utilize the existing camera for this purpose.

I’m sure this is just the beginning of future limitations for MCU1.

Tesla’s response to my service request regarding browser usability issues:

The technician has completed looking into your vehicle and stated the issue is known by Tesla and currently under investigation with engineering. Tesla will be resolving this with an upcoming firmware update. Please let us know you have received this message as we will not require you to come in for your upcoming appointment as what you are experiencing will be resolved remotely. Thank you and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you at this current time.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Tesla is realizing they have to start cutting off new features MCU1 can’t handle like the DashCam feature. Sure, there are no side cameras but it would be nice to be able to utilize the existing camera for this purpose.

I’m sure this is just the beginning of future limitations for MCU1.

I think u meant AP1;)...my dash cam works fine AP2.5 MCU1...its my browser that sux :(:eek:

Reactions: Art VandeIay