Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU/Touchscreen Responsiveness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My touchscreen in my 2015 70D can be very slow to load maps and when zooming out to load the map. Additionally, the web browser only works for a short while after a hard reset then stops working.

I’m in a 2018 75D rental from the SC and the touch screen is very responsive and the web browser is functioning just fine. They are both running 2018.5.X.

Is this an MCU-1 v MCU-2 issue?

Can’t compare this to an iPhone LOL it’s a $90,000 car not a $1,000 phone...or a $5,000 high end computer purchased 4 years ago for example.

There has to be an upgrade path made available by Tesla at some point in the near future.

There has to be an upgrade path made available by Tesla at some point in the near future.

Considering MCU1's are starting to fail due to bad design/excessive writes to the eMMC... (I've had two fail), and Tesla is charging owners $2k+ to replace... you would hope/think they could at least offer an upgrade path to lessen the pain. Unfortunately, I've lost faith and doubt they'll put forth the effort...

Reactions: viper2ko
My very expensive 2018 SP100D (MCU 1) was brand new less than a year ago but since the 2019.8.5 update it feels like its behind the times. Tesla should not be giving us updates that cause issues with older hardware. Since that update, I've had numerous self reboots including one this morning that required several double scroll button pushes to get the screen to finally boot up. And why are they being so tight lipped about the possibility of MCU1-> MCU2 upgrades ? Is it going to happen or not ? A year ago I thought Tesla was a pretty cool, customer friendly company. I don't feel that way any more.

My touchscreen in my 2015 70D can be very slow to load maps and when zooming out to load the map. Additionally, the web browser only works for a short while after a hard reset then stops working.
2015 70D, MCU1, v9 2018.50.6 here - can't say I notice any difference in loading maps or zooming maps (then again I don't use maps that frequently). However, like you, ever since v9 the browser works for a day or two then stops working completely. Reboot needed to get it working but stops again within a day or two. Previously on v8 it never completely died like this, though of course from day 1 it was just glacially slow to load a page. So I suspect a v9 issue on MCU1

My very expensive 2018 SP100D (MCU 1) was brand new less than a year ago but since the 2019.8.5 update it feels like its behind the times. Tesla should not be giving us updates that cause issues with older hardware. Since that update, I've had numerous self reboots including one this morning that required several double scroll button pushes to get the screen to finally boot up. And why are they being so tight lipped about the possibility of MCU1-> MCU2 upgrades ? Is it going to happen or not ? A year ago I thought Tesla was a pretty cool, customer friendly company. I don't feel that way any more.

Yeah, the issue here is Tesla expects you to upgrade to a new Model S for all the new features but what happens in another 3 years, upgrade again? I thought part of the mission here was to build a vehicle that can outlast ICE vehicles. If that’s the case Tesla absolutely has to be actively supporting and/or implement a plan to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 and so on...

Question for those that feel the MCU is unbearably slow - do you use the satellite view for maps?

MCU1 certainly isn't a speed demon or anything, and is showing its age with v9, but I can't say I find it unbearable or even particularly cumbersome. That said, I never use the browser and almost never use the satellite view for maps. I'm wondering if rendering the satellite tiles vs the vector maps is making things worse?

Question for those that feel the MCU is unbearably slow - do you use the satellite view for maps?

MCU1 certainly isn't a speed demon or anything, and is showing its age with v9, but I can't say I find it unbearable or even particularly cumbersome. That said, I never use the browser and almost never use the satellite view for maps. I'm wondering if rendering the satellite tiles vs the vector maps is making things worse?

I am not using satellite view. I agree it’s definitely not to a point where it is unbearable but I’m sure we will be seeing v10 soon enough.

Interesting question. I've always been a satellite-view guy. I had a Ranger come out to work on my car around a month ago, and he turned off the satellite-view and set it to the map view. He told me that would substantially speed up the MCU1. I ran with it for a few weeks, but honestly, I thought the MCU was actually running slower. I've set it back to the satellite view, and I feel like it's slightly faster. If it's not slightly faster, it's placebo effect, as it's still hard to tell a speed difference between the two.

Now occasionally when it runs really slow, I did find the advice to turn on the paint/draw program. Whenever I do that, the MCU speeds up considerably. It's like really quick. I do that and it almost resets the memory... so that's my anecdotal information.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
Its doesn’t make sense Ecologically to replace the entire Vehicle for a slow processing MCU. I am sure Tesla should foresee this than doing what apple does by soldering the RAM into their laptops, & forcing customers to get entirely new computers & creating more waste, than not upgrading the existing hardware like they do in aircraft; I cant see why Tesla wouldn’t offer this, brings costs down & more jobs. However, after watchng their FSD demo, do I even want to own a car?

I would love to keep my model S if I can upgrade the computer every few years, but if this isn’t possible, leasing might be better.

Satellite view runs faster not slower than map view on MCU1. This is because it is raster, not vector. Thus it requires more network data and loads slower but once loaded, requires less computer power to refresh.

Satellite view, my browser sort of kind of almost work but not really.
Map view, my browser doesn’t work at all.

2017 s100D MCU1 AP2.0

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd