Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Upgrade - 2016 Model X AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. My MCU upgrade is scheduled for Friday! Is the upgrade solely for speed/ease of use, or are there aesthetic improvements? To say differently, does the upgrade give you a new operating system with new graphics? Or does everything look the same (but is just faster)?

eEdNhv5.jpg

Upvote 0
I got the upgrade last year. Everything looks the same except the touchscreen response is a lot quicker and you get more access to media. The only thing I didn't pay extra for was the FM radio access (IIRC you lose it on the update but can pay something like $500 to get it). The only time I used FM radio was during Christmas and watching someone's light show with FM radio music.

It is a night and day difference with the touchscreen response.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Upvote 0
Hi all. My MCU upgrade is scheduled for Friday! Is the upgrade solely for speed/ease of use, or are there aesthetic improvements? To say differently, does the upgrade give you a new operating system with new graphics? Or does everything look the same (but is just faster)?
Thoughts after the upgrade? We have an AP1 Model X as well and I want to do the upgrade as well since we plan to keep it for the long run. I heard a small change is that it shows traffic data on the driver's display map when navigating to a destination.

Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
My thoughts on the MCU2 upgrade: Link
Another good list from someone else: Link

To answer your question, Yes you have the same "Operating system and graphics", but they are much smoother and quicker. You also get "real" updates again. MCU1 is stuck on last year's 2022.8.10.11 build whereas MCU2 is up to date with the most recent 2023.6.11 with a few of the new features like Navigation way points.

Upvote 0
I think this is already supported on MCU1 - it is a setting to show or not show the traffic.
The only show traffic toggle option I know of is on the main vertical display.
Are you saying there is an option for the drivers display? Aside: With the MCU2 upgrade the drivers display is now a "2nd monitor" vs a CPU+monitor.
After they mentioned the traffic coloring on the drivers display it did sound familiar that I noticed traffic colors there with the MCU2 upgrade (and that display being replaced) but not on my MCU1 where that drivers display was a separate computer (CPU and monitor that communicated with the vertical infotainment computer)

Reactions: TheFro
Upvote 0
The only show traffic toggle option I know of is on the main vertical display.
Are you saying there is an option for the drivers display? Aside: With the MCU2 upgrade the drivers display is now a "2nd monitor" vs a CPU+monitor.
After they mentioned the traffic coloring on the drivers display it did sound familiar that I noticed traffic colors there with the MCU2 upgrade (and that display being replaced) but not on my MCU1 where that drivers display was a separate computer (CPU and monitor that communicated with the vertical infotainment computer)
Yes, I mean on the main display. I don't think I've ever seen traffic coloring on the dash display, even with MCU2.

Upvote 0
... I heard a small change is that it shows traffic data on the driver's display map when navigating to a destination.

Yes, I mean on the main display. I don't think I've ever seen traffic coloring on the dash display, even with MCU2.

Well @TheFro said "driver's display map". That is the one ('dash display') I'm now seeing traffic coloring on.
Aside Chevy called it "Driver Information Center (DIC)" in my Volt.

Upvote 0
Thoughts after the upgrade? We have an AP1 Model X as well and I want to do the upgrade as well since we plan to keep it for the long run. I heard a small change is that it shows traffic data on the driver's display map when navigating to a destination.
I feel like I have a new car. Responsiveness could not be faster. Navigation is immediate. Dication is immediate. Screen looks much much brighter (especially the screen above the steering wheel). There is DEFINITELY new traffic indicators on the screen above the steering wheel which wasn't there before.

Radio and streaming is now modernized. Pics of artist on secondary screen. Apple Music is now an available streaming option.

Start up time is immediate. I can't give a good reason why would wouldn't do the upgrade. And as reminder I have 2016 MX with AP1.

Upvote 0
Appreciate these posts, which convinced me that it was worth it to do MCU upgrade on 2017 Model S. Only thing I'm left debating is the value of the FM option. I listen to FM stations a fair amount currently. Most of them also appear on TuneIn. Any thoughts on pros and cons of spending the extra $500?

Upvote 0
Appreciate these posts, which convinced me that it was worth it to do MCU upgrade on 2017 Model S. Only thing I'm left debating is the value of the FM option. I listen to FM stations a fair amount currently. Most of them also appear on TuneIn. Any thoughts on pros and cons of spending the extra $500?
Personally I didn't do the $500 upgrade but I dont listen to the radio much. $500 is a lot of money just to listen to the radio, that could be 4 years of paid Spotify premium for the same price.

It sounds like you do listen to it a lot and it might be worth the extra money just to have the snappy/ease of use of tuning the radio instead of loading the streaming and buffering and loading of the online radio equivalent.

If I were you I would try out the "free" streaming options and then decide if it is too much of a hassle. It's the same $500 if you do the upgrade at the same time or not ....but.... they may no longer offer the upgrade to the radio service in the future.

• Helpful
Upvote 0
I did the radio as well, because on road trips in the boonies there will be places where cell service is spotty - while you can find FM stations pretty much anywhere.
Good point. I either do music download to a USB drive or have some podcast downloaded on my phone from the hotels (or house before leaving) wifi.

Upvote 0
Personally I didn't do the $500 upgrade but I dont listen to the radio much. $500 is a lot of money just to listen to the radio, that could be 4 years of paid Spotify premium for the same price.

It sounds like you do listen to it a lot and it might be worth the extra money just to have the snappy/ease of use of tuning the radio instead of loading the streaming and buffering and loading of the online radio equivalent.

If I were you I would try out the "free" streaming options and then decide if it is too much of a hassle. It's the same $500 if you do the upgrade at the same time or not ....but.... they may no longer offer the upgrade to the radio service in the future.

Thanks, super helpful. I think I'm going to go for it. I hate fiddling with the screen so your point about snappy/easy resonates.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Upvote 0
Another novel reason to do the FM radio upgrade along with MCU2 could be so that you can use it in drive-in theaters that broadcast an FM audio signal in addition to or in lieu of any per parking spot audio devices. I don't know how many of these exist, and FOMO around the same didn't trigger me to do it, but it might be a relevant consideration for someone...

Upvote 0