Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Upgrade for 2016 Model S with AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think AP 1 unfortunately won't be ready for at least 2 months given the delays in what is on Tesla's website and what actually is happening in service centers.

My service center did try to prioritize my failed MCU1 so hopefully they do the same for older cars too.

My MCU just failed (April 2016 90D, AP1). The frustrating thing is the app cannot connect to the vehicle, thus scheduling a service and getting service updates is not possible. I went through the phone route and spent time on hold to get a phone rep to schedule for me. The appointment was a waste of time since the advisor told me a new MCU is about 8 weeks!. He said he is waiting on 3 other vehicles in need of them at this one service location. In the meantime I cannot really use the vehicle. Ther turn signals don't work. :-(

My MCU just failed (April 2016 90D, AP1). The frustrating thing is the app cannot connect to the vehicle, thus scheduling a service and getting service updates is not possible. I went through the phone route and spent time on hold to get a phone rep to schedule for me. The appointment was a waste of time since the advisor told me a new MCU is about 8 weeks!. He said he is waiting on 3 other vehicles in need of them at this one service location. In the meantime I cannot really use the vehicle. Ther turn signals don't work. :-(

Been there. Sorry. I hated losing backup camera view since the rear view isn't great without it. I found that the signal will not work but the brake lights worked even for Regen.

Its actually ridiculous that the MCU only lasts 4 years.

This is spot on! I took delivery April 2016 and having the same issues...

I was also told by the service center that my 2016 90D with AP1 would never be eligible. I'm holding out hope based on "scheduling soon" but idk. My MCU1 is fine right now but i can't imagine spending the money to fix it if it goes out to just replace with another MCU1 given that it "might" be eligible soon

At the moment, there is very little to be gained for AP1 owners who want to upgrade to mcu2, when there are much cheaper alternatives like @EV-Fixme around. What would you get with MCU 2? Netflix? Faster map redraws? Nice to have but not worth $2500.

At some point Tesla there might be some features on mcu2 with AP1 that might make it worth the update. Until then a new emmc on Mcu1 is the most prudent option.

Reactions: EV-Fixme
On the eMMC, I just bought the car used from Tesla so I have the additional 4 year warranty. Can i assume if it fails they will take care of it? Do they just replace it with the same product that will also eventually fail?

It will eventually fail. I would wait on it. Warranty should cover you and you will likely get a new screen. Once your warranty has expired and if you plan to keep the car, I suggest getting the chip replaced then.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman