Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 black after reboot, is it bricked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agh, I'm glad you've straightened me out on that. :rolleyes:
I just answered your question. Btw, since you're rolling your eyes, maybe you are thinking "static wear leveling" (which I don't think this part particular part does btw) is a substitute for refresh. It's not, since refresh requires tracking real time (even when the chip is off, the data decays), in addition to number of writes, or in advanced refresh systems even temperatures at which the data was written, and few other counters (often process specific).

Nah. (Hint: I'm just riffing on you being an 'expert') It's like watching Rich Rebuilds holding himself out as one.

I'm the originator of the eMMC replacement methods Hector.

I thought you are the stock 'expert'. Nay, the business 'expert'.

Nah. (Hint: I'm just riffing on you being an 'expert') It's like watching Rich Rebuilds holding himself out as one.

I'm the originator of the eMMC replacement methods Hector.

I thought you are the stock 'expert'. Nay, the business 'expert'.
I never claimed to be a flash expert. I do work with some experts in this field though, even participate in some of their design reviews (at firmware level, not physical design) because what I work on integrates with different kinds of flash memory, but I rely on their expertise and intimate knowledge of the flash technologies with which we are dealing at the time. That said, while I'm no expert in the field, I do know more than most, hence I was sharing the information - I guess not for your benefit, but maybe benefit of others who don't know everything.

I have posted this on the UK sub to enquire about MCU2 but this is what happened to me:

Spotify froze, so I did a reboot. The screen never came back on. When the MCU first failed, most things worked, including the autosteer and TACC. However, when I set it to charge, the A/C stayed on.

So I pulled the 12v positive battery cable for 5 min. Now I am left with:

• No entertainment system obviously and the screen is black (black screen of death)
  • No indicators
  • Flashers still work
  • Headlights stay on all the time while driving
  • Charging is limited to 8A so it is slooowwww
  • No autosteer or TACC
  • A/C is always on while driving, but turns off when the car is off
  • No access to the car via the app
  • The trip meter doesn't work
  • The time on the Instrument Cluster is now 5 mins out from when I disconnected the battery
I can live with it, except for the fact that the indicators don't work so it is not safe for other road users and I hate being such an impolite driver.

Tesla were unhelpful on the phone but I have service booked at the end of the month.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

I have posted this on the UK sub to enquire about MCU2 but this is what happened to me:

Spotify froze, so I did a reboot. The screen never came back on. When the MCU first failed, most things worked, including the autosteer and TACC. However, when I set it to charge, the A/C stayed on.

So I pulled the 12v positive battery cable for 5 min. Now I am left with:

• No entertainment system obviously and the screen is black (black screen of death)
  • No indicators
  • Flashers still work
  • Headlights stay on all the time while driving
  • Charging is limited to 8A so it is slooowwww
  • No autosteer or TACC
  • A/C is always on while driving, but turns off when the car is off
  • No access to the car via the app
  • The trip meter doesn't work
  • The time on the Instrument Cluster is now 5 mins out from when I disconnected the battery
I can live with it, except for the fact that the indicators don't work so it is not safe for other road users and I hate being such an impolite driver.

Tesla were unhelpful on the phone but I have service booked at the end of the month.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Hi, your MCU has failed, these plus many other issues are listed on Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen) you can contact @LuckyLuke or Tesla to get repaired. Please use hand signals while the turn signals do not work.

Reactions: 4EVar
Wear levelling and this type of flash memory degradation class of problems reminds me to always leave lots of free storage left on my laptops and tablets now. Any web browser and streaming app chews through your available storage --- having a large percentage of empty flash space means the same cells won't get written too often. Same thing with the flash memory on your dashcam. Use large ones, don't try to save a few pennies and use tiny ones. If only there was a way to know how much free space is left on the tesla emmc. Or if there was a way to delete old unused crap to add to the free space.

• Informative
Reactions: 4EVar
Goddamn it! I've had my MCU replaced twice and it died a third time just now! I was even charged $2,000 just over a year ago to get a refurb put in. Tesla is such crap when it comes to taking care of persistent problems like this. Also had my rear window just fall and all sorts of crunchy noises, third time with that issue. Thinking of canning my no delivery date plaid and looking at an R8.

Wear levelling and this type of flash memory degradation class of problems reminds me to always leave lots of free storage left on my laptops and tablets now. Any web browser and streaming app chews through your available storage --- having a large percentage of empty flash space means the same cells won't get written too often. Same thing with the flash memory on your dashcam. Use large ones, don't try to save a few pennies and use tiny ones. If only there was a way to know how much free space is left on the tesla emmc. Or if there was a way to delete old unused crap to add to the free space.
Original chips had almost no free space. The new ones have 56 gigs free, use 8.