Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 black after reboot, is it bricked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should really do something proactive about these MCU1
They've moved on, more fun stuff to play with like Model Y, Chinese made Model 3's, not pesky old Model S's.
The problem I see is they could be fair and reasonable about it by offering the upgrade at a reasonable price, but I bet it'll have maximum profit built in (if it ever happens).

The problem I see is they could be fair and reasonable about it by offering the upgrade at a reasonable price, but I bet it'll have maximum profit built in (if it ever happens).

Also making a profit by re-selling refurbed MCU's at the same cost they used sell new one's AND charging you to keep your old one.

"Our philosophy with respect to service is not to make a profit on service. I think it's terrible to make a profit on service," says Musk/2014.

"Some of Tesla’s $222 million in added services and other revenue in the third quarter came from fixing customers’ cars." - CNBC/2019

Salt-Packet.jpg.optimal.jpg

...add to anything Elon states.

Last edited:
They've moved on, more fun stuff to play with like Model Y, Chinese made Model 3's, not pesky old Model S's.
Isn't it grand? Model S owners basically funded Elon's dream, and he in turn repaid them by focusing all of his time and resources on a car costing 50% less!

Reactions: aaron0k
Did the SC tell you it was simple 12v power reset or a full failure? Or bad software push? My X just did this on Monday, and I dropped it off. Suspicious coincidence that my 50,050 mile warranty ticked over on Sunday afternoon and the very next drive on Monday morning the MCU is dead. Car won’t drive now, requiring a reboot of the IC to get past the “systems powering up” frozen screen.

I dropped it off, since no other methods work to contact Tesla these days. Phones removed, voicemail full, website errors, Tesla app errors trying to make appointment and of course can’t use the MCU to request service either.

Did the SC tell you it was simple 12v power reset or a full failure? Or bad software push? My X just did this on Monday, and I dropped it off. Suspicious coincidence that my 50,050 mile warranty ticked over on Sunday afternoon and the very next drive on Monday morning the MCU is dead. Car won’t drive now, requiring a reboot of the IC to get past the “systems powering up” frozen screen.

I dropped it off, since no other methods work to contact Tesla these days. Phones removed, voicemail full, website errors, Tesla app errors trying to make appointment and of course can’t use the MCU to request service either.

They might get it working again. Hopefully they goodwill you a replacement. If not we can help you upgrade the eMMC.

Did you try an different phone with the app? The app is currently Tesla's preferred method for scheduling service.
Mine worked yesterday, so I know the system works.

No, I don't have a USB stick.

I drive it to the SC today and they agreed to look at it on Wednesday morning and see what's up.

What was the diagnosis? Wednesday was 3 weeks ago...

How would I get my flash chip replaced? Is it on a socket or do I have to desolder the chip? Once removed, how does one transfer data to the new chip? Does it just plug back in and play?

Was it the eMMC?

You might still be within the 1000 mile grace period to purchase the extended warranty. Guaranteed partial payback so something to consider.

My MCU1 issue was recovered with a double firmware restore. They did say it was temporary fix, no charge, goodwill. Hopefully they will have the preferred MCU2 replacements as standard by the time mine completely dies.

Yes, I did purchase the 4yr ESA. Mainly because I've had 3 replacements of the front axle set. Which I'm told is a $2,400 usd replacement out of warranty.

My MCU1 issue was recovered with a double firmware restore. They did say it was temporary fix, no charge, goodwill. Hopefully they will have the preferred MCU2 replacements as standard by the time mine completely dies.

Yes, I did purchase the 4yr ESA. Mainly because I've had 3 replacements of the front axle set. Which I'm told is a $2,400 usd replacement out of warranty.

Joer, for sure that is on it's last life and likely go black in next few months to weeks. If you want to upgrade I suggest you do it soon before it goes black. We can help you if you like.

Double restore means the first restore was also corrupt, which likely means there are not many good sectors left. They likely got corrupted after the write, and the second time they were finally able to write to sectors that didnt loose the info right away.

What was the diagnosis? Wednesday was 3 weeks ago...

Was it the eMMC?
The SC said the MCU was dead and replaced it. Lost most of my settings except for odometer but otherwise it works just as well (slowly) as before. For those who get MCU replaces, please check app unlock doors work before driving off. I have to go back and get it reprogrammed.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Again I will confirm, that is in a 2017 100D? Wow.

Would you say you played a lot of games through the touchscreen?

And what was the bill in Canadian?
Emmc retention is affected by a lot more than just writes and age. Environment plays a huge role. I used to work with a guy who did HALT (Highly Accelerated Life Testing) on flash chips - he could simulate as much as 10 years worth of chip life in 1 month by reading/writing/storing(power off) the chip while changing temperatures (the chip was in the "oven" which would cycle the chip through various temperatures, from hot to freezing).

Last edited:
Emmc retention is affected by a lot more than just writes and age. Environment plays a huge role. I used to work with a guy who did HALT (Highly Accelerated Life Testing) on flash chips - he could simulate as much as 10 years worth of chip life in 1 month by reading/writing the chip while changing temperatures (the chip was in the "oven" which would cycle the chip through various temperatures, from hot to freezing).

Well then this puzzles me even more. I live in a part of the world with a huge range of temperature; from -27 C (-17F) to 42 C (108F). (Of course with cabin protection on it hasn't exceeded 40 C). This has been the environment the last 2 years while I have owned this car. The car came from Ontario with winters just as bad, summers not quite as hot previous to me. As far I know it has the original MCU with eMMC, I stream 100% of the time, it has the same mileage as his car, and twice the age.

The science background in me is just trying to understand the variables.

It (eMMC) has been working well, but just a couple of streaming stuttering issues, and two or three 3g dropouts over the past 6 months. I rarely have to reboot, and have only once over a year ago had it reboot on its own. But I sent it out to get repaired as I state this. Just tired of playing the waiting game.

The science background in me is just trying to understand the variables.
Remember that there is also manufacturing yield distribution - some parts will be more robust than the datasheet. I don't have specific details for the part that Tesla used (process matters), but I remember the guy explaining for the chip we were using how writing at one temperature extreme and reading at another was the worst case scenario which he often used to age the chip in HALT. Also, storing the chip without power at high temperatures sped up loss of retention, but refreshing the chip adds to wear (it's effectively a read and write), so there are always trade-offs which should be evaluated based on intended usecases. I have seen some embedded designs with very carefully chosen intelligent refresh tracking (tracks for age, disables or slows down refresh at some extreme temperatures, etc), failure monitoring, etc. as well as designs where the manufacturer just put the chip down and never even even thought of flash refresh, or wear monitoring, or failure handling.