Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meet the Dodge Charger Daytona SRT: an EV That'll Kick a Hellcat's Ass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is pretty much production ready. The interior moldings and transitions are the biggest clue.
Nah, this is not even close to production. Did you read the link? They're suggesting like 900hp, maybe up to quad motors and *sugar*, there's just no way its gonna be anything other than a tub of lard that's gonna catch fire trying to push that sort of power density with pouch or prizmatic cells. And suggested sweet spot for muscle cars is 40k-50k, lmao they must be high. This is just more silly wishing crap to be reality, just cuz you say something doesn't make it true.

Nah, this is not even close to production. Did you read the link? They're suggesting like 900hp, maybe up to quad motors and *sugar*, there's just no way its gonna be anything other than a tub of lard that's gonna catch fire trying to push that sort of power density with pouch or prizmatic cells. And suggested sweet spot for muscle cars is 40k-50k, lmao they must be high. This is just more silly wishing crap to be reality, just cuz you say something doesn't make it true.
Well I just design the damn things but what do I know. The castings on most of the bodywork, the ingress/egress, front and rear impact zones etc.
are all production vs concept, having worked on both kinds of projects throughout my career.

I’ve also seen sketches of this thing (and Alias files of the EV Camaro, but I digress) from its early gestation period. It’s actually an evolution of a design I personally worked on of a now defunct Barracuda project, along with the Grand Wagoneer- when a then FCA previewed a bunch of production intent clay models for employees to view.

I know these platforms tend to favor those who are the ‘loudest in the room’ but I’m not speaking from a wish standpoint. Now if you’d like to counter with any information other than ‘this sucks’ then your welcome to respond. I’m not speculating on powertrain as I’m not privy to that information, and do not speculate on things I’m ignorant about, only design of the interior/exterior. But I do respect the SRT staff-there are some very talented design engineers in Auburn Hills.

One interesting observation is the ATPs for Hellcat ICE products during my time there was much higher then the numbers your posting.

Last edited:
If the "exhaust" introduces very little compromise, attracts a whole new segment of buyers, then sure, why not?...
I live in a high-rise in the middle of a big city and the street racing/engine revving up and down the streets at all hours/days is near maddening. And the Hellcats are BY FAR the worst offenders of the ears. Would love to have this unnecessary noise pollution reduced instead of status quo.

I live in a high-rise in the middle of a big city and the street racing/engine revving up and down the streets at all hours/days is near maddening. And the Hellcats are BY FAR the worst offenders of the ears. Would love to have this unnecessary noise pollution reduced instead of status quo.

Oh I totally agree, (I spent a decent amount of time in Atlanta), and I have this fantasy (likely won't happen in my lifetime ...) of standing on the corner in NYC, and just hearing horns, tires and the chatter of people :D

I guess the point I'm making here:

I get an extra benefit from EVs is the reduction in noise, but I'll take all the other perks for the planet if it means sacrificing my ears :D

Is an EV that makes silly exhaust sounds is preferable over an ICE. Especially since it'll be a pretty small percentage (and hopefully doesn't become a thing ...) and I imagine there will even be owners who dial it back.

What they need to do is geofence cities so when an EV with loud, fake engine sounds enters a specific boundary, GPS notifies the sounds controller to STFU :D

Reactions: BigNick
So much potential... sadly by the addition of noisemaker it seems their priorities aren't really aligned with the EV ethos.

The Porsche Taycan and a number of other EVs have fake engine noise options. But the only time I've encountered a Taycan*, it wasn't making fake noises.

It's only a problem if you can't turn it off. Otherwise it's about the people, not the car. If people are going to anti-social douchebags, I'd rather they be electric anti-social douchebags.

I do think it's somewhat ironic for an electric Charger to make that noise, because I think it has a very clean look that would really suit silence or something more electric.

But, I'd fully expect ridiculous, attention-seeking, derision-oblivious noise from an electric Camaro.

* Vanity plate DRKONIG in Augusta, ME.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: thesmokingman
I'd have to say that "twin cylinder" motorcycles were more obnoxious that anyone else when we lived in a similar location.

Reactions: swaltner
Perhaps when people realize they can turn off the noise to prevent complaints and the cops showing up, it will be quieter.

Here is a picture of how good it looks on classic fat rubber tires:

s8syiknbded2_800.jpg

Reactions: tm1v2
Ahhhh, yessss. I remember when the Model T was being popularized, people hated that they didn't have the smell of horse dung wherever they went. It was familiar and what they knew. Some even liked it. So, Henry Ford incorporated a completely unnecessary bag of horse plop-plops with every car so that people were just.... more comfortable with the transition. /s

That is so damn stupid to me. The only reason to purposely pump that sound on the outside of the car is to annoy everyone around you. If we're going to have speakers spewing fake drive sounds, let's have the ship sounds from the Jetsons or the speeder sounds from Star Wars Phantom Menace or the sound of the BART in San Francisco accelerating.

The Porsche Taycan and a number of other EVs have fake engine noise options. But the only time I've encountered a Taycan*, it wasn't making fake noises.

It's only a problem if you can't turn it off. Otherwise it's about the people, not the car. If people are going to anti-social douchebags, I'd rather they be electric anti-social douchebags.

I do think it's somewhat ironic for an electric Charger to make that noise, because I think it has a very clean look that would really suit silence or something more electric.

But, I'd fully expect ridiculous, attention-seeking, derision-oblivious noise from an electric Camaro.

* Vanity plate DRKONIG in Augusta, ME.
You can turn off the sounds in a Taycan but they're more like space ship sounds rather than rumbly exhaust notes. I've turned the sound off in my wife's 4S.