Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meeting other Model S owners on the road - do you wave?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I make a point of not acknowledging. I'm going places. I'm driving my car. Stop bothering me. Especially after some crazy Tesla owner lady stood in front of my moving car to get me to stop so we could talk about how great we both were. Give me a break. We want EVs to be commonplace, right? So stop acting like they're UFOs. Get over ourselves.

I make a point of not acknowledging. I'm going places. I'm driving my car. Stop bothering me. Especially after some crazy Tesla owner lady stood in front of my moving car to get me to stop so we could talk about how great we both were. Give me a break. We want EVs to be commonplace, right? So stop acting like they're UFOs. Get over ourselves.

hahahahaha... LOL

seriously, California owners need to get their own forum. between this and the SIGHTINGS thread, it really is two different worlds.

as harsh as what mrcool1122 just said was, i can totally understand if i were in Silicon Valley, San Fran, or anywhere else in CA. HOWEVER, I have still only seen two other Model S's EVER in the Northern Virginia / Washington DC area. one in December. one in February. I am still stopped in parking lots CONSTANTLY and asked about it, and still see people in my rear view mirror fumbling with their cell phones taking pics of my car. Not UFO's, but damn close...

I'll flash my lights and honk and wave and smile just before I flip an illegal (& probably dangerous) U-turn and follow you for a while.
One word for it is "enthusiast", maybe you guys can think of some others. ML

I would wave back if I noticed, but I'm not sure I'd initiate the wave. But honestly, I'm usually focused on driving, the audiobook I'm listening to, the 500 things I have to do at work, etc. So if you see my brown Model S in the DC area, I'm not ignoring you--I'm just freaking oblivious. I keep wondering if random people are taking pix of me, giving me a thumbs up because they don't have a Model S but know what it is, etc...I expected some of the weird stuff people have reported, but nope. One guy so far (grinning, very excited for me, talked while stopped at a light!).

I've also had very, very little "Tesla Time" with random strangers. (shrug) I expected more, but on the other paw, I'm shy so I guess it's okay. The Solar City guy in charge of the crew installing solar panels on our house this week made a point on Monday of saying he wanted to talk to me about the car some time and he was clearly interested and admired it. Maybe tomorrow--they're coming bright and early. ;-)

So anyway, to recap: I'm obvious so if I don't wave, mea culpa etc.! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ahem...that would be a "pile of leaves". :wink:

BTW ROFL at this, Todd. ;-) Thanks.

hahahahaha... LOL

seriously, California owners need to get their own forum. between this and the SIGHTINGS thread, it really is two different worlds.

as harsh as what mrcool1122 just said was, i can totally understand if i were in Silicon Valley, San Fran, or anywhere else in CA. HOWEVER, I have still only seen two other Model S's EVER in the Northern Virginia / Washington DC area. one in December. one in February. I am still stopped in parking lots CONSTANTLY and asked about it, and still see people in my rear view mirror fumbling with their cell phones taking pics of my car. Not UFO's, but damn close...

You're right about the familiarity, although I was a little grumpy when I ranted. I see at least two Model S's a day around LA, plus the other one in my office garage every day. I didn't mean to be so sour, but I bought this car for many reasons--none of which were to shine a spotlight on myself too much.
When I first picked up the car in December, I got about a few weeks of lots of thumbs up and cell phone photo takings and head snaps as I drove around. All that's pretty much gone these days, which I'm totally okay with. But after I posted my comment above, I was sitting in a left turn lane on Lincoln Boulevard when the guy in the car behind me gets out of his car and runs up to my window and wants me to roll down and talk with him. Uh, hell no! Dangerous boulevard! And that's so totally weird! It's like when people think it's okay to just touch my dog when we're out on a walk.

On an average day, I see 3 or 4 Model S atleast two which are going in the opposite direction on city streets and close enough for a wave. And, I'm a frenetic, smiling waver too, so much so that my wife ribs me and goes "you poor thing" when I don't get a wave back :)

I've gotten a fair number of waves back more so when there are kids in either or both cars.

Yes, I have seen the grumpy ones who clearly turn their heads and even make eye contact but, choose not to toss out even half a smile. Well, we were all meant to be social beings and it's really their loss :)

I have trouble seeing other Model Ss when they disappear from my rearview so fast.

I have trouble hearing other cars because we haven't had windows-down-worthy weather lately.

I have trouble hearing other Model Ss because, I guess, I have my radio louder than theirs.

Anyway, if it was (or is) me in the past (or in the future) feel free to rev your engine to get me to notice. ;)

In other news, we had one of our 3 annual days of sunshine last week. So I got to try out my pano roof!