Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@CorporateB Well, this remains to be seen. I took delivery on 8/13 and opened a request with the SC to replace my 19s with All Seasons, free of charge, on 9/17. I get daily updates and they are waiting for direction/approval from the factory. Might be region specific. In my case, I'm in Seattle, which does qualify for the free flaps and PPF on rear door.
Oh you got flaps for your plaid?

Reactions: impastu
Noticed after several weeks of owning car. Part as been ordered to replace trunk latch (warranty).

Attachments

• IMG_5958[1].JPG
    IMG_5958[1].JPG
    531.9 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: cwanja
No, free all season tires for the plaid. Free flaps and PPF for the MYP. All good here.
Ah, ok that makes sense.
I've got 21" on my Plaid so no all seasons for me at least yet.

Back to the subject of issues and tires - one of my tires has had a very slow leak since I got it. Like 1-2 lbs. maybe in a month.
Going to add that to the list of things to check out with my next SC appointment. Otherwise maybe a tire place can find the leak but hopefully it's not too small for them to find. (Had that issue with one of the tires on my 3, ended up just getting a new one)

Reactions: impastu
As someone who is scheduled to get my SP in December 2021, at what point do you reject the car at delivery vs just take it and have the SC do their warranty work on it later?
definitely a personal decision. Panel gaps, gaskets, door alignment and paint defects can surely be fixed...everything can be fixed. So philosophically maybe the way to think about it is whether issues you find at delivery (and you won't find them all at delivery) have the potential to undermine the new car experience. You can always reject and get the next one...and send a message back to Tesla that this is a bilateral not a unilateral transaction.

I accepted delivery yesterday. My bar for rejecting the car in favor of a '22 VIN was very low. But, it was in good condition, for Tesla standards... I spent two hours going over the car following the checklists in the first post. Thank you for that! I found pretty minor cosmetic stuff that I was assured they would correct in a follow-up service visit.

Some strange things:
- Is your instrument cluster screen kind of transparent? I can see some circuit board stuff or something behind the screen in daylight. Particularly noticeable in the "speed limit" sign. Photo below.
- I have 4 rough-cut holes in the bottom plastic trim on the right side of the car only. Looks like someone cut them with a hole saw after the car was painted. WTF is that? It was on all the cars on the lot, so I assume it wasn't a defect. Just stupid. Photo below.
- Does everyone else have two holes, one on either side, of the yoke? They look like they are melted in to the material or something. Kind of strange. Also, photo below.
- I have the airbag "worm" others reported. I assume Tesla can fix that later...
- My passenger side door takes a lot more force to close. I'm assuming it just needs to be adjusted.
- The trim pieces along the bottom edge of the windows on the right side of the car weren't secured. They just pull up. The left side was fine... Also, hopefully easy to fix.
- I had a stray thread on the drivers seat. I'll just snip it.
- I had some tiny scratches in the clear coat in two places, they said it can be fixed later. I'll document.
- I didn't get the small cargo cover for the trunk or a license plate frame. They said it would be shipped later.

Overall, pretty good delivery experience. Not as bad as my Model 3 in 2018, but not as good as my inventory P90DL in 2016...

View attachment 731820

Last edited by a moderator:
I accepted delivery yesterday. My bar for rejecting the car in favor of a '22 VIN was very low. But, it was in good condition, for Tesla standards... I spent two hours going over the car following the checklists in the first post. Thank you for that! I found pretty minor cosmetic stuff that I was assured they would correct in a follow-up service visit.

Some strange things:
- Is your instrument cluster screen kind of transparent? I can see some circuit board stuff or something behind the screen in daylight. Particularly noticeable in the "speed limit" sign. Photo below.
- I have 4 rough-cut holes in the bottom plastic trim on the right side of the car only. Looks like someone cut them with a hole saw after the car was painted. WTF is that? It was on all the cars on the lot, so I assume it wasn't a defect. Just stupid. Photo below.
- Does everyone else have two holes, one on either side, of the yoke? They look like they are melted in to the material or something. Kind of strange. Also, photo below.
- I have the airbag "worm" others reported. I assume Tesla can fix that later...
- My passenger side door takes a lot more force to close. I'm assuming it just needs to be adjusted.
- The trim pieces along the bottom edge of the windows on the right side of the car weren't secured. They just pull up. The left side was fine... Also, hopefully easy to fix.
- I had a stray thread on the drivers seat. I'll just snip it.
- I had some tiny scratches in the clear coat in two places, they said it can be fixed later. I'll document.
- I didn't get the small cargo cover for the trunk or a license plate frame. They said it would be shipped later.

Overall, pretty good delivery experience. Not as bad as my Model 3 in 2018, but not as good as my inventory P90DL in 2016...

View attachment 731820
ZsU5AnsGa_Rg7ywNK09ttBj4c7UW1UMZQCoVEFDY_VNIiLEmsw4ww7gHLVn1gCIhbQuRPc4e7Xko3xN2GinXKEX9HqXt9mPGArVw8HzJLM5QoaDxK4uoJBJW1Xflttot99BdHW__djsU1JqHInGbkhE4J7tc7RQ6Y7GF6hGh_roeNK0zOWqwPjmv6kF-u9jZgjpPwfZ-1tbs2fKLmXUgPwc16zxcQ8aC2IhK6AjBXMm_foki22b8Ws84JyCg70uv8EA4H6CpwlPd1IROIg8ToyIKNP4xVyrVWQdeSCUdYowhhVkq1MQLfqwGcL0TzF_A-exUEawiJddZk-a9xhsdAx6_KDKwX64SuKutuoeJEsUukTFuJ8lF8K9VkAz4jkLxAm1ZRXvVp7I4YIxJw5SGptP25Ta4UVKmW0A1xw_mS7UV3XpUYWP9A1OP6BNaTftG8ZNVveSrfJsvMDTdEfXZ5P0abuCWIOCZecLSE39J7_VnCqy6rulam4OMt5QB80SyjpQd6eiNgvQewwj9PYz2lKRWvmt7Soi319roLcgHDuvkk8ZbmWW88uWDJYSgo93RafRSU2zGWLxp8E21ICijOE5g2FfV6ZUIVjDZ9r6MESUIZ-mQPCS12G2WM0q1WaqSzCLd8QByNvUSF7GxGtqDuqiTU0cC3K2UXHMeMWmmawmpApJIXe7nbBHQ6aiLYpHS-Gqp0cAWQjuogO5bMl85GB8O=w2586-h1947-no

Pre5Mo-SPuTCi4-dbtWukFkG8E1i4-q2ZRyFiQ0TTrvilME7D2Kb8QbFpku9OuCRi8wTyh_hkCdg3unoQeG0o31EVT9iKUaBVp5QjVYfJxKHIuek0qvubTF23OwabR1pYhscOS3i30UqnyikVAmUuK_nzsJL0FoOFos6Dfp3QENf2d0nQHNywjQeT5eJ2HkyvK_UF3Tug_4nYwzqGjpauLQTyp0wpic3RrXYR6dCWTtSnzBae0kG98NNHUtz91qdowzgkfuZp5vc_J7l2oNAxc9_Fk96zzXU6wo7nmv8lPvPgrdKtlFJDzM9tLPZ2P00bAUbTiq0tfO8wNn9la8GQuhbqh4mbY_GricJumv7eS046v74mKFnesJFRH8aB_rwFq1qaVtSoNGYtRlhTXnSq_jX-aKEXRCzvmK3Pg0zQe4MijQmA8UAClXtFWe0hiEwBxYugjh9FC4pxICKaGILoGQyIwtrInsAxK9oyvss0HMFlGOnxe2LGRHF8fYxZQg3mIqomvU-yfJdCQBb4QJpyA6NYrnOUf2sihBh3Q2ut6c4arfm4vnY5WDcfH7Pk73zpeFRMTrfpVe2Zchd80IMQViCRwiUEvfQ7umabMYkYuCre15QbHzySHL7OkPFc5bPXGm3biMASqf9N4oZIhqAWngK5SRr2FR5GUCPu9Ei1yC_4k-RNXuoeiNt8cenn1T3gXG9hrx0e55-AdcEWr2UpZQ2=w1467-h1947-no

mnXj10EKWS-jRWn9DuA9JvITkp8d7za7C0aIsPlKzEN5uQwWiZ9zHQCs-7WEtQa-NQvRnX9nqIvaT3wRN_ZODYGFldjzSZyowmI5RaG3CJrPrKwSgLDQ6wDtNSCUiaCobnL2lHoLN3a1-9SW459FJ-Y7kiF8kpGbh0OOM8-CrLpE4AtYt9CWFzgznKgQVrDiQ8Rf0S1wK5_2C2_YP0SOhV0xD7epSKLsWkuYH8meJUB2hifm6wOM6T60sX3M1aaptrxaepe-WGNUgGKVUoMKEYVEfsagAeDDVTtOkpBdgw1unwM4nPU_FwuPS6-LupLBMBjdN7RrKtwBarwG4sKfUnW1EImZg4D8HTplGt6arU6HQ_a8XUKl0rOxE_S3Hp1U7PrGcjbKcx3EDfI6p-aLQXpGE3JCJnAT8eqLnXKm0DvrlCnG_LwZaL8issRiAoscXD4lW0tdPNnnchCYYki5m8d-rjPwDRpz_97hiASS-0jmSUwM0K08RKOwtiLCLd2MlpVLSl2Euq7nA59eQ3jgsF6btJQKr_s0WhsAv6EnV2N5dffvvVg63Rol_644Oi9qzVJONo7Ce5_huj8NFWjGeCxGndLxRYd_H3dkAdiPPrSETCiKbHq0eo3LmEy8gOfPo307mpUamdiL57DeW0vIxQAmFBsE8Jt0bogzj3oJn9D7782jP6la3nRL5ndOF57-xeqT_VkHeY3_T42XI9SCbaki=w1467-h1947-no

cOjWAHqMVVyhDfCMlWu3NW0w9BBEcxGRJCeodrd0qlBV4uXfazguddtvj3l2k72CCZFoKIg5NgMrX3WOIheMs6IOOCzsJ009Zd6Ff5f2pdPc1B1D_IXtiPqMQQxBuwfASNBlUKBgkQF8VZgkKoVH1qZDWxWsNahiIHDxSh5bmemdiqIZEWUIwjVWma6ByMUe2oJ7bTIK6foN5zV6oCYesPl-__Fh8wnTGRXqT--eLXLJekH6acAL603PQMt3YtGV2rdx2tDOPyWfmECcBXFUcNO2hD3nF70OEb3YTipcGH4yYXujveh7mjXeE0SUAoGYpeAvxRSzIgU1n8IL4wlHZfdzoh-Z-4uz2fHdad7APnZ9Zo7FokkNKd5j2lOhvTJpiAaHgJWljYdxP0iNqqgAzvYWNkbgyZPdB8zA3KrUTZJH_PfaIUby6z34-7ynZMEA2Ld2IuWjjlMNaTLqVx18pMxUTOHlwKyP5R0fvuz4Y5kMVgULcZJJTZTzfAN6wnU4ttT8HK2FMqwoXAHkCFoRDgRgihBX_a7bLYeiG3N7aGRpixgtXJhhubiVTWrbNcm8TBILbMWWxpCLL88PiNAl04irvl5VO3hn5U9iID36BAr0UwBMZ5I-KCBtZlHO_TensH0KwNdu8QB4S25rC-fi19WE3DB9bumdDHi2U7xKkC6MQ6HjrnYQW7kFq9rktJW7EIQepqRjPNUkDAl167Hvxtbh=w2586-h1947-no
Responded in the main thread, but will share here as well:
Replace. Someone else posted about this as well.
Replace.
Investigate. Might be a replacement. I think @sam3194 reported the same at one point. Good 'ol Sam.

• Helpful
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
One thing I didn't understand, since there is an extensive list of known issues, why don't Tesla QA team take that list and make sure that each and every item is checked and cleared rather than letting customers find out these issue and complain about it?
Because it takes almost two hours to check for all these things and they aren't checking anything that comes off the line.... Too cheap and too focused on profit to pay someone to do all that QA.

New things to share since my multiple visits to the Service Center this last week...

1. If you have a door switch replaced it has to be programmed/added to the onboard ECU to be recognized, otherwise it does not work. I'm assuming it is some type of CAN device that has its own network identifier that has to be added. (This raises serious questions about swapping parts in the future!!!!). I did have the fun of watching the techs swap out 3 different door panels until they called Tesla Engineering to figure it out. Door panels are made in Mexico.

2. The SS associate I dealt with up front is full of sh*t. I caught him lying twice about the work they did on my car. Don't trust them. They are good at covering for their buddies in the back doing the work.

3. I looked at 8 different Model S cars (one refresh) and all of them had gap issues with the hood. I thought mine was bad, but I found out it could be worse.

4. They don't seem to care if your missing work and have to drive long distances multiple times to get your new car fixed. Apparently that's my problem!

5. I took delivery on July 6, 2021. As of yesterday 11/11/2021 I finally have everything finally working on the car. Only took 4 months! :-(

Good Luck!