Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes approved for ACTUAL self driving in the USA. And will accept responsibility.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would argue those differences will matter in terms of the margin the vehicle has to give the advanced warning and also its ability to handle situations that may pop up.
I agree. However, if the ODD requires a lead car in a single lane and if the ADS reduces the speed as soon as the ADS detects the need to hand over it will help reducing the risk quite a bit i think.

I am aware. Likely ODD-limitations will include the presence of a lead car, daytime, dry roads.

I agree. However, if the ODD requires a lead car in a single lane and if the ADS reduces the speed as soon as the ADS detects the need to hand over it will help reducing the risk quite a bit i think.
I don't think the lead car will save you in this case though, the classic ACC fail scenario may pop up: the car in front changing lanes suddenly without slowing down, revealing a stationary car or object. At 35 mph, most likely the car would be able to react in time. At 75mph, it's much tougher.

I don't think the lead car will save you in this case though, the classic ACC fail scenario may pop up: the car in front changing lanes suddenly without slowing down, revealing a stationary car or object. At 35 mph, most likely the car would be able to react in time. At 75mph, it's much tougher.
The video seems to show a very long distance from the car in front when comparing with a manual driver. It's possible that the distance will even be longer at 80MPH.

Reactions: spacecoin
I understand and I agree. However, the OEM isn't formally liable if that happens. It may still be a real issue though, but so is over-trusting an L2 with shitty DMS like Tesla has proven over the years.
There has to be a positive transfer of controls. Same as it happens between a FO and Captain.

I have control / You have control

I got it / You got it

Thanks for the reply.

Let me ask you: say you have L3 full highway and the car gives the human 10+ second warning to take over when it detects dynamic ODD limitations like weather, smoke, road debris, accident, construction etc.... that seems to be what you are suggesting, right? Do you really think that is realistic? I don't think it is realistic because I don't think we can trust the human to reliably take over with 10 seconds warnings in dynamic situations, not if we are going to let the human read a book, watch a movie or play games on the infotainment screen with their kids while the L3 is driving. And what about dynamic situations that happen so quickly that the system can't give 10 second warning? So I think even L3 will need to be able to safely handle all those dynamic situations on its own, without human fallback. I think the L3 10+ second warning should only be for fixed ODD aspects. I hope that clears up my position.
My expectation from L3, based on the MB journalist demos and logic, is that the car in L3 mode will reach a safe state by stopping dead in its tracks if the driver does not answer to the take over request.

In the example with the highway ending, no way MB would release a system where it disengages after 10+ seconds if the driver doesn't care to react, and let the car plow on into a barrier at the end of the highway.
The press demo show similar scenarios where the car reaches a safe state.

But in the end, we need someone to borrow an equipped car to test all these scenarios. Or read the manual. Too much secrecy from MB now, and too much speculation.

There has to be a positive transfer of controls. Same as it happens between a FO and Captain.

I have control / You have control

I got it / You got it
And caregivers of toddlers.

"I'm off to the bathroom. Do you have eyes on the kid?" / "I have eyes on the kids" (not that it makes a difference, the kid follows me to the bathroom and if I close and lock the door will bang on it and hang off the door handle, crying.)

You can see that while my car is very poorly behaved a lot of the time, it is much better than a toddler. That's one point in favour of my MY.

• Funny
Reactions: enemji