Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercury Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, to clarify. My car is a Tesla Model S, but the local certified repair shop is the Mercedes Benz Collision Center. Liberty Mutual refuses to pay them the going local rate for aluminum body work, leaving me with a bill of at least $1600, plus my deductible, to make up the difference.

What the MB collision center DID NOT do on the front end was to inform me that LM would not pay their full rates. I only found that our AFTER the car was complete. They then told me that they had been having this problem with LM for some time. Would have been nice to have known that on the front end. There is another Tesla-certified place about 25 miles away that I would used instead, if I had only known.

couple of things that might help your case... if the MB shop uses a different estimation software than LM uses, there may be a discrepancy in rates (although these are pre negotiated and are usually universal in the industry). You should ask the shop what software they use, then confirm with LM that they use the same. if they do not, i personally would press the body shop to explain why you should foot the bill of the discrepancy between the two companies. For reference, what are the alum rates they quotes?

What the MB collision center DID NOT do on the front end was to inform me that LM would not pay their full rates. I only found that our AFTER the car was complete. They then told me that they had been having this problem with LM for some time. Would have been nice to have known that on the front end. There is another Tesla-certified place about 25 miles away that I would used instead, if I had only known.

If they've had this problem with LM for some time, they really should have let you know when they brought in the car.

I know in my state (California), we are able to able to dispute / file paperwork against the insurance company to recoup the additional out-of-pocket expenses. There may be a similar course of action for you.

Reactions: DC Autocraft
Just looked up Mercury and they don't even list Tesla on their online quote...go figure.

@luvnMyTS which provider did you end up going with?

Wow, this post came back to life. My post was from two years ago! Mercury doesn't want to insure the Tesla. They did for me because of my history with them, but you have to be perfect for them to insure it. I pulled the Tesla from them and found a cheap company that insured it for 6 months at a much better rate. Unfortunately that didn't last. When the renewal came, the premium had tripled!!! No accidents or tickets, they apparently just realized how expensive the car was to repair and joined the Tesla hate crowd (from insurance companies). So, it ended up back on my Mercury policy. I'm due again for renewal in March. Will shop it again, but since 2016, haven't had any luck finding a rate better than what I get with Mercury. But they likely won't insure the Tesla for someone new. I have multiple cars, my house, RV and have been with them for 15+ years, so they did, but my agent told me, one ticket and they won't insure it even for me.

Wow, this post came back to life. My post was from two years ago! Mercury doesn't want to insure the Tesla. They did for me because of my history with them, but you have to be perfect for them to insure it. I pulled the Tesla from them and found a cheap company that insured it for 6 months at a much better rate. Unfortunately that didn't last. When the renewal came, the premium had tripled!!! No accidents or tickets, they apparently just realized how expensive the car was to repair and joined the Tesla hate crowd (from insurance companies). So, it ended up back on my Mercury policy. I'm due again for renewal in March. Will shop it again, but since 2016, haven't had any luck finding a rate better than what I get with Mercury. But they likely won't insure the Tesla for someone new. I have multiple cars, my house, RV and have been with them for 15+ years, so they did, but my agent told me, one ticket and they won't insure it even for me.
Gieco insures them all day long. Had a no fault accident and premium didnt budge.

Had 1 at fault accident, so was expecting a slightly higher rate.
Got $1387/6months for 100/300, Bay Area/CA, 250/1000 deductibles with Engineer discount and 16K miles range.
Then got an email saying they uprated me to $1808. Turns out the person I spoke to couldn't speak phonetically, so entered the VIN wrong, in addition the underwriter decides that Tesla vehicles are "special" and therefor can be rated differently than other cars and hence the increase in price. Also told me their minimum is $1000 deductible for both because it's a special rated vehicle.
Fking scammers, tell me one thing, then switch on me later. What increased in price was the collision and comprehensive line items.

Where's my fking discount for driving a safer vehicle that is less likely to be in an accident to to autopilot and etc features compared to other vehicles?

I had Mercury Insurance until I got my Tesla. I laughed at my agent when she told me how much it would cost to insure. They also wanted $1k min deductible as well. Switched to Nationwide. I would suggest using Gabi. They shopped around and got me an excellent rate.

I had the same experience... although I didn’t laugh at my agent as she was powerless to do anything about it. I switched all 3 vehicles to Costco Ameriprise and saved about $700 and have better coverage. Homeowners is next. Too bad because I was always very happy with Mercury and had them fo over 20 years!