Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercury Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, does anyone have Mercury insurance, can comment on if P85D is actually double the 85D?
I've heard rumors but anyone with Merc can confirm?

Also, Merc is starting to do annual checks were you have to take a picture of your mileage and send it in. Do other insurance companies do this?

Last edited:
I have Mercury. I've never been able to beat their prices. Well, that is until I got my Tesla. For whatever reason, they hate the Tesla and charge astronomical rates for it. I have 4 cars, plus my homeowners with a clean record with every discount available in the book. My 2014 Corvette is $350 every six months. They wanted to charge me $1,500 for the Tesla for 6 months!! Finally pulled that car from my policy and got a separate policy just for the Tesla at $775 for six months for a 2015 P90D.

Mercury also told me if I got a single ticket, they would cancel coverage on the Tesla.

I have Mercury. I've never been able to beat their prices. Well, that is until I got my Tesla. For whatever reason, they hate the Tesla and charge astronomical rates for it. I have 4 cars, plus my homeowners with a clean record with every discount available in the book. My 2014 Corvette is $350 every six months. They wanted to charge me $1,500 for the Tesla for 6 months!! Finally pulled that car from my policy and got a separate policy just for the Tesla at $775 for six months for a 2015 P90D.

Mercury also told me if I got a single ticket, they would cancel coverage on the Tesla.

Just looked up Mercury and they don't even list Tesla on their online quote...go figure.

@luvnMyTS which provider did you end up going with?

We have coverage with State Farm and they request an annual update on mileage. They don't request a photo though -- we just call it in to them. We have some "low mileage driven" program with them since the car isn't driven daily and we get discount pricing if we don't exceed some specified mileage.

Hello, does anyone have Mercury insurance, can comment on if P85D is actually double the 85D?

Also, Merc is starting to do annual checks were you have to take a picture of your mileage and send it in. Do other insurance companies do this?

Have you checked with Metromile? They are quite different from other insurance companies. You only pay for the miles you drive. Good for <15k per year drivers.

I was with Allstate forever, until I got my S and they wanted to triple my premium. Ended up with Gieco. Mercury has been rumored to be on the high end, they are also a fairly conservative insurance company (did some consulting work there years ago). As for taking pictures, most insurance companies make you prove mileage driven if you claim some super low number like "3000 miles a year". They'll have you prove it with pictures or a device to insert into your OBD2

Any one check out rates for Tesla's partnership with Liberty Mutual, InsureMyTesla: InsureMyTesla

I would not recommend Liberty Mutual to anybody with a Tesla. My car has been in a Tesla-certified body shop (Mercedes) for 81 days now. Weeks of delay were due to LM being slow with estimates and supplements. The rest was due to parts delays from Tesla. Now LM has paid the body shop, and insisted on only paying the non-aluminum body labor rates. They say that I am responsible for the difference, which is about $1600 (this on top of my $1000 deductible). WTF does LM think I am paying them for anyway?

I'm surprised and disappointed that Tesla picked LM as a partner. There are going to be a lot of angry Tesla owners insured by LM in the future, that's for sure.

I would not recommend Liberty Mutual to anybody with a Tesla. My car has been in a Tesla-certified body shop (Mercedes) for 81 days now. Weeks of delay were due to LM being slow with estimates and supplements. The rest was due to parts delays from Tesla. Now LM has paid the body shop, and insisted on only paying the non-aluminum body labor rates. They say that I am responsible for the difference, which is about $1600 (this on top of my $1000 deductible). WTF does LM think I am paying them for anyway?

I'm surprised and disappointed that Tesla picked LM as a partner. There are going to be a lot of angry Tesla owners insured by LM in the future, that's for sure.

EDIT: I just read your car is a MBZ and not a Tesla? Right? Does it have aluminum parts, a majority of them? What am I missing here.

Alum rates being split out is a fairly recent development in the repair industry (as a standard), i wouldn't concede this point, and be very firm about returning your car to normal using OEM approved methods.

they can insist non alum rates for the non alum parts obviously, but you are not obligated to pay for the difference (unless theres underinsured/no insured elements at play). I would dig up your 6 month contract and get into the make-whole terms, insurance companies by law are to make the insured whole by using OEM methods unless they can demonstrate (or is accepted by the insured) that aftermarket meets or exceeds OEM methods (such as replacing a bumper cover with an aftermarket part instead of ordering a new one).

EDIT: I just read your car is a MBZ and not a Tesla? Right? Does it have aluminum parts, a majority of them? What am I missing here.

I think he was saying that his Tesla-certified body shop is a (primarily) Mercedes body shop.

Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar all have a fair amount of aluminum body work, so most of those are going to be able to pass the Tesla-certification process since they will have the tools needed to do repairs on aluminum.

Usually body shops will tell you if they've had trouble getting paid from that particular insurance company, and it's standard for the customer to cover anything the insurance company doesn't. (Typically the body shop will make you sign a "i promise to pay what the insurance company doesn't" form before they work on your vehicle.)

Same here.

I went back to Geico instead for my MS.

I had Mercury Insurance until I got my Tesla. I laughed at my agent when she told me how much it would cost to insure. They also wanted $1k min deductible as well. Switched to Nationwide. I would suggest using Gabi. They shopped around and got me an excellent rate.

I had Mercury Insurance until I got my Tesla. I laughed at my agent when she told me how much it would cost to insure. They also wanted $1k min deductible as well. Switched to Nationwide. I would suggest using Gabi. They shopped around and got me an excellent rate.

I too have Nationwide and am currently in the process of finding the right Tesla. Would you mind sharing the rate you received and which Tesla you have? They quoted me $999/6 months with excellent driving record and no accidents. Nearly $300 more per 6 months than my current vehicle. I thought they surely must be insane...

Sorry, to clarify. My car is a Tesla Model S, but the local certified repair shop is the Mercedes Benz Collision Center. Liberty Mutual refuses to pay them the going local rate for aluminum body work, leaving me with a bill of at least $1600, plus my deductible, to make up the difference.

What the MB collision center DID NOT do on the front end was to inform me that LM would not pay their full rates. I only found that our AFTER the car was complete. They then told me that they had been having this problem with LM for some time. Would have been nice to have known that on the front end. There is another Tesla-certified place about 25 miles away that I would used instead, if I had only known.