Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot All Season 4 thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No personal experience with the Pilot A/S 4...yet, but here's a great video with the following comparison:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 vs Michelin X-Ice Snow​

Spoiler alert: the all seasons were surprisingly good in the snow.

This was highly entertaining. I wonder how the AS 4 compares to the PS 4s in dry conditions.

I'm not expecting the PSAS4 to compete with real snow+ice winter tires at all. Just wondering how they compare to the DWS series which for a long while seemed like the only UHP allseason to actually have some basic level of snow traction. Historically most tires in this category seemed to have essentially none (but my experience is out of date now)...they were like summer tires that could go below freezing, but they couldn't actually make it up a snowy hill or such (even with AWD).

I installed them on my MS a year ago, and have them on my new MYP. They're a great tire -- good grip in the summer, and they hold well for casual snow driving. Not too noisy either. For really serious snow you may want snow tires but as an all around performance/all season, I think they're fantastic.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
The MYP still needs winter tires if you want reliable stopping distances in the snow. It's not safe on the AS4s. Go out in a few inches and try a panic stop. The car just keeps going.... I've tested this a few times this winter.

Everyone seems to be judging these tires on the ability for the car to get moving or take turns, (It has AWD, it's gonna be fine) but isn't testing hard braking. These tires are nearly worthless if a deer jumps out in front of you, or you have to stop for another sliding car. And this is the case with many performance all-season tires such as the Michelin PSAS4. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Winter tires, but I know what my car is capable of on them, and anything less just doesn't feel safe anymore.

All-weather tires (CC2, for example) step it up a notch, but I'm talking about normal American A/S tires.

Is the vehicle usable if you're careful and not out in a blizzard? Absolutely, these tires make the MYP viable for many more climates. But they're not an excuse not to get Winter tires if you're commuting every day in cold temps where it can snow considerable amounts.

The MYP still needs winter tires if you want reliable stopping distances in the snow. It's not safe on the AS4s. Go out in a few inches and try a panic stop. The car just keeps going.... I've tested this a few times this winter.

Everyone seems to be judging these tires on the ability for the car to get moving or take turns, (It has AWD, it's gonna be fine) but isn't testing hard braking. These tires are nearly worthless if a deer jumps out in front of you, or you have to stop for another sliding car. And this is the case with many performance all-season tires such as the Michelin PSAS4. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Winter tires, but I know what my car is capable of on them, and anything less just doesn't feel safe anymore.

All-weather tires (CC2, for example) step it up a notch, but I'm talking about normal American A/S tires.

Is the vehicle usable if you're careful and not out in a blizzard? Absolutely, these tires make the MYP viable for many more climates. But they're not an excuse not to get Winter tires if you're commuting every day in cold temps where it can snow considerable amounts.
@fiehlsport Good point! Allseasons and specifically UHP allseasons have their place, but for serious winter weather snow tires are where it's at. World of difference.

Where I live now though winters are real mild, some years I was even running summers year round, this winter I switched to UHP allseasons (not PSAS4 but very similar) and they're perfect...for my climate. A more sane, typical driver could very happily run these year round here. (But I will switch back to summers, there's no substitute for pushing your car really hard in warmer weather.)

I've done a good amount of snow and ice driving in years past, and when I started using real snow tires for that it was like a revelation!

The Tesla OEM Pirelli PZ4 are pretty mediocre for their category of summer tires though (at least the M3P version was mediocre compares to the best summer street tires). So personally I think shipping the MYP with PSAS4 now makes more sense, and is probably more useful to a majority of MYP buyers.

Reactions: fiehlsport
I know this thread is a bit old but it just popped up and figured I'd add my own experiences. MYP with these.

They're amazing in all weather I've tried them. They've been great in the rain, but are also just fine in snow as long as you don't drive like an idiot. Earlier this year on a road trip I had two 'fun' experiences:
1) Baker Pass during a freak snow storm. They were requiring chains or snow rated tires + AWD. I did have chains just in case, but didn't need them as I slowly passed semis stalled out in the middle of the road (that's how quickly this all came on) and other vehicles. No issues at all. Then later on the same trip:
2) I-80 at Donner pass was closed the day I was leaving due to too much snow. They opened it up just as I was about to give up for the day and I took it. Again, chains ready but absolutely did not need them on the mix of fresh and packed snow.

Winter tires of course would generally be better in conditions like that, but Tesla + AS4 did amazing.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash and tm1v2