Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan passes bill to ban Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just "shared my opinion" on the Governor's web site and asked him to do the right thing, to veto the bill that would restrict Tesla, The first Successful American Auto company to survive and Thrive in 100 years. Governor, will you support or hurt an American Co. that have created 6,500+ jobs? I cant remember what all I wrote but it felt good to show my support for Tesla.

What does anyone think about pulling out of NAIAS in a public manner in response to this legislative change? It would be an enormous publicity coup. Worth far more than attending.

Yeah, have Elon get up on Bloomberg or CNBC and state to an interviewer that they were "going" to do the Model 3 unveiling at NAIAS this year, but due to changes in Michigan laws they are barred from attending the show because that would be considered "advertising" without having a franchised dealer. So instead we are not going to be making it to NAIAS this year at all, and the Model 3 unveiling will happen at another location. (I mean they were likely to have the unveiling at Hawthorne anyway, but the public at large doesn't need to know this... and Elon has danced around the "truth" on a couple occasions when it comes to fighting FUD and people trying to put a stop to Tesla... used prices of the Model S being higher than new prices is one example of that "dancing")

The Tesla Motors Team said:
We are calling on concerned consumers to contact the Governor and urge him to veto this legislation and return the issue to the legislature for a full and open debate in 2015.
Please make your voice heard.
Other ways to contact Gov. Snyder:

• Phone: 517-373-3400
  • Address: 234 West Baraga Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855
  • Mail: P.O. Box 30013, Lansing, MI 48909
A Raw Deal in Michigan | Blog | Tesla Motors

Guess this also means that GM etc cannot legally advertise on the TV, or online, or have a manufacturer stand at NAIAS? All future promotion should be explicitly through their franchises?

Not sure if there's any sarcasm here so I'll answer straight. The law permits advertising by manufacturers provided it's for the sale of vehicles through franchised dealers.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought this was a well written piece in this mornings Detroit Free Press. The OP goes into the law, and some interesting facts on $ saved by bypassing dealers.

Column: Gov. Snyder should veto anti-Tesla bill

Crane is a well know supporter of the direct sales model and the column is, of course, an Op-Ed piece. Well written and good to see.

Michigan auto dealers have a long history of operating as a cartel against the interest of consumers. When I lived in the Detroit area in the 1980's the dealers were open only on weekdays and one evening per week. People had to take time off work to buy a car. Needless to say there wasn't much comparison shopping going on. A Toyota dealer tried opening on Saturdays and his car lot was vandalized.

It's possible the legislators thought this was a non-controversial bill and didn't even know about the anti-Tesla language that was snuck into it. In that case it could be a whole new ball game after a veto.
According to this law professor, that would appear to be the case. Yet another example of elected representatives rubber-stamping something without knowing what they are approving. :rolleyes:

There is mounting evidence that almost no one in the Legislature understood that they were weighing into the Tesla wars or prohibiting direct distribution. One can only conclude that the dealers’ lobby sneaked it in at the last minute to avoid the fair and open debate on direct distribution that has taken place in states like New Jersey, Ohio, North Carolina, Texas and Georgia. This is crony capitalism and nefarious politics at its worst.

According to this law professor, that would appear to be the case. Yet another example of elected representatives rubber-stamping something without knowing what they are approving. :rolleyes:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Excellent article. I like this paragraph (third one from the top):

"As detailed in an open letter signed by 72 of the most prominent economists and law professors in the country, there are no good economic or policy reasons to prohibit direct distribution in today’s market. A study by the Justice Department found that direct distribution could save consumers more than $2,200 per vehicle. The staff of the Federal Trade Commission have come out against restrictions on direct distribution, and not a single consumer, environmental, or civic association is taking the dealers’ side."

Let's keep this momentum up!