Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan passes bill to ban Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aric Nesbitt introduced the bill to the Michigan Legislature. I see he is a Hillsdale graduate. As National Review calls Hillsdale the conservative Harvard. Not sure I agree with that, but OK.

Hillsdale is a small liberal arts college like Williams,Amherst,and Swarthmore.

Not a research University that also has a liberal arts college within it but....

It is a bit like calling something the "Rolex" or the "Rolls Royce" of.....

BTW

For Incoming Freshmen

Average SAT score

Harvard 2237
Williams 2130
Hillsdale 1980

Perfect Score 2400

Aric Nesbitt introduced the bill to the Michigan Legislature.

The original House bill Nesbitt introduced back in May was to prevent the OEM's from discouraging their dealers from charging excessive "document preparation" fees. One can imagine irate buyers calling up Ford/GM/etc. to complain about add-on fees after the price was supposedly negotiated. That is sleazy enough on Nesbitt's part but it had nothing to do with Tesla at that time.

The anti-Tesla edits were added at the last minute in the Senate by another MADA lackey, State Senator Joe Hune. Still, as one of the original sponsors, Representative Nesbitt certainly should have read and understood the intent of the changes to the revised bill when came back to the House.

If the Michigan AG wanted to be very aggressive, they might even take the position that the law prohibits Tesla from making its website available to Michigan residents, certainly for ordering and maybe even just for information.

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette is one of the largest recipients of MADA payouts, excuse me, "contributions" in recent campaigns. $15,000 in 2010 and $17,500 in 2014. Just edged out by Secretary of State Ruth Johnson with $15,000 in 2010 and $18,000 in 2014. Of course the real money goes to the party campaign committees.

The governor didn't sign the bill today. I think that's a good sign there will be a veto tomorrow. His staff was probably calling the interested parties today to prepare them for the let down, and working on the press release bragging about how the veto makes the governor pro-innovation, or something like that. If he is going to veto the bill and suffer the wrath of the auto dealers, there is no point in doing it quietly, he has to make sure everyone knows how forward thinking he is.

The governor didn't sign the bill today. I think that's a good sign there will be a veto tomorrow. His staff was probably calling the interested parties today to prepare them for the let down, and working on the press release bragging about how the veto makes the governor pro-innovation, or something like that. If he is going to veto the bill and suffer the wrath of the auto dealers, there is no point in doing it quietly, he has to make sure everyone knows how forward thinking he is.

Especially since it is an election year for him and he is likely to make his MADA donors very unhappy... He needs the boost that the free publicity and public siding with him on this as much as he can get it.

Hope this all proves true. I wrote him this morning and told him his decision, in either direction, would influence my decision as a business owner and consumer to buy goods and services from Michigan businesses. Perhaps a lot of little voices added up.

If there is a veto, I hope this gives us Texans ammo for the upcoming state legislative session!

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2014/10/21/snyder-tesla-direct-sales/17663891/
Snyder: Tesla direct sales may already be illegal

Snyder sidestepped a question about whether it should be illegal for Tesla to sell its cars directly to Michigan buyers without dealerships.
“That’s a separate legislative question,” Snyder said. “That’s something that should be a different discussion that could be a legislative priority either in (the) lame duck (legislative session following next month’s election) or after that.”

His response sounds somewhat encouraging to me. He is acknowledging the current state of the law in that most direct sales and service are already banned, but sounds as though he would like the legislature to have a greater discussion on whether the law should be dropped or exceptions allowed. The best way to force this would be through a veto of course. If the real concern is Chinese manufacturers, then surely there should be some way to allow limited direct sales either by dictating the number of locations like many other states, or stating electric vehicles only. It will be interesting to read his full opinion either way.

His response sounds somewhat encouraging to me. He is acknowledging the current state of the law in that most direct sales and service are already banned, but sounds as though he would like the legislature to have a greater discussion on whether the law should be dropped or exceptions allowed. The best way to force this would be through a veto of course. If the real concern is Chinese manufacturers, then surely there should be some way to allow limited direct sales either by dictating the number of locations like many other states, or stating electric vehicles only. It will be interesting to read his full opinion either way.

If the real concern is Chinese manufacturers, then it should be Made in USA only. GM statement of support for the bill:
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Oct/1021-hb-5066.html