Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan up to their old tricks...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh. Will it ever end?

I’ll repeat my wish that Tesla would just partner with the native Americans in Michigan and place sales and service centers on reservations throughout the state. It would be a win-win-win for Tesla, the consumers, and the native Americans who would benefit from the jobs.

Reactions: CyberGus
Sigh. Will it ever end?

I’ll repeat my wish that Tesla would just partner with the native Americans in Michigan and place sales and service centers on reservations throughout the state. It would be a win-win-win for Tesla, the consumers, and the native Americans who would benefit from the jobs.

interesting idea. Wonder if they would ever entertain that in New York State so I could get a sales center near me.

It looks like Michigan House Bill 6233 is to put into law the settlement agreement made with Tesla to sell vehicles. It should not change the way Tesla operates today in Michigan.

Summary from analysis:

"House Bill 6233 would amend the Motor Vehicle Franchise Act, in part to put into law the terms of an agreement made between the state and the vehicle manufacturer Tesla, Inc, to settle a lawsuit that had challenged the application of Michigan law prohibiting direct vehicle sales by manufacturers."

Here is the link to the official Analysis of that bill. :https://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2019-2020/billanalysis/House/pdf/2019-HLA-6233-F5671DA3.pdf

disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but I did Google it.

It looks like Michigan House Bill 6233 is to put into law the settlement agreement made with Tesla to sell vehicles. It should not change the way Tesla operates today in Michigan.

Summary from analysis:

"House Bill 6233 would amend the Motor Vehicle Franchise Act, in part to put into law the terms of an agreement made between the state and the vehicle manufacturer Tesla, Inc, to settle a lawsuit that had challenged the application of Michigan law prohibiting direct vehicle sales by manufacturers."

Here is the link to the official Analysis of that bill. :https://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2019-2020/billanalysis/House/pdf/2019-HLA-6233-F5671DA3.pdf

Thanks...I should have not taken the article at face value.

@SO16 and others. It is a good idea to keep an eye on this bill. It could have more changes in the Michigan Senate before they pass it. I am fairly sure Governor Gretchen Whitmer (Dem) would not sign this into law if it reduced Tesla's ability to sell cars in Michigan. However, this is still 2020....and anything can happen.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16

Summary from analysis:

That is a good analysis, but it is based on the previous version of the bill.
But dang it if your link didn't lead me to realize I screwed up. I had been referencing H-4 with was adopted in one vote, but never amended the bill.
The final bill that passed is : http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2019-2020/billengrossed/House/pdf/2020-HEBH-6233.pdf

It does not include any electric vehicle language and does prevent indicted service center ownership.
I sincerely apologize for this major error and am off to correct my other posts.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau and SO16