Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Micro brakes when cars pass or when using lane change

Do you experience micro breaks?

• Never

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • when a car passes

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • when using lane change assist

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • when using lane change assist or a car passes

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ramonneke

Apr 26, 2018
Rotterdam
I very often have micro brakes. Really subtle short speed reductions. This sometimes happen when cars pass me. I would say that it happens when the B pillar forward facing camera sees the vehicle.
It almost happens always when using assisted lane change and there is a car behind you in the lane you want to move to and actually is driving SLOWER.

Do others experience this too?

Reactions: Cloxxki
Mine does it when going under a sign or overpass on the highway. On my commute home Ive found the spots that trip it up.
I always had major braking at this one freeway overpass, every time, but now it just kinda "taps the brakes" down a couple mph like its checking it out but then continues on, and speed inches back up after. So at this one geographical point at least, it is indeed better than before, for me anyway.

Come to think of it I know several other owners here locally that have commented on that same overpass, I'll have to see what versions they have and if it changed anything.

I’ve got this really badly on 19.4.3

It makes autopilot nearly unusable. It happens when a car on your left (in the UK) gets a little bit close to the lane lines, or starts to approach the lane line. It’s terrible when you’re in the fast lane, as it brakes when you’re overtaking a car.

I assume this is to do with the ‘allow a car to cut in’ logic they’re testing. But, it’ll just get me rear ended or in some road rage incident. Did a 400 mile drive at the weekend... I’ve done it before almost all on AP. This time, I seriously tried, but I ended up just disabling AP for the trip as it was too dangerous. Shame.

I’m hoping for an update soon.

• Informative
Reactions: 4EVar
I experience this when there are undulations in the road. At 60kmh. It’s like driving an ice car with fuel flow issues- the drive is jerky. Not even auto pilot - just using cruise control.

Cruise control occasionally slams the brakes on when going past a parked car - I wish there was a “dumb” cruise control. Just keep the speed I set thanks.

I have the 'dumb' cruise control. It is included when you don't buy Autopilot. I had the Autopilot free trial, and did not like it. I also experienced the micro braking. It can also happen when the person you are following can't maintain a steady speed. It can make you a little car sick. The micro braking may occur when the car sees undulations in the pavement and somehow thinks they are cars or other objects for a second.

“Micro braking” happens to me on the freeway when passing by the same two offramp exits, one on either direction of my commute. They are in different cities. I have patiently been waiting for a software update to fix it for 1.5 years, but sadly with AP1 I’m no longer holding by breath.

Cruise control occasionally slams the brakes on when going past a parked car - I wish there was a “dumb” cruise control. Just keep the speed I set thanks.

YES! TACC doesn't work off the highways. So many times that an approaching car results in the brake to be slammed when the car is about to pass you and TACC probably thinking that it might hit the car. Not as strong as some phantom braking incidents at viaducts but super super uncomfortable, and especially for any other people in the car.

The problem is that you cannot really see this in the dashcam footage unless you also have a camera recording the cockpit.

I’ve got this really badly on 19.4.3

It makes autopilot nearly unusable. It happens when a car on your left (in the UK) gets a little bit close to the lane lines, or starts to approach the lane line. It’s terrible when you’re in the fast lane, as it brakes when you’re overtaking a car.

I’m hoping for an update soon.

I had all the issues mentioned in this thread. It started for me with 2019.4.2. I got the SC to push me an update. A couple of hours later I had 2019.4.3, no better.
Then a few weeks later I received 2019.8.5, maybe a little better .
I just got a notice from the app that there is an update that's staged. I'm going to install it and see how the ride home from work is.

Reactions: quickstrike12