Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- Superchargers may be under construction and we won't know unless someone spots them - unlikely in remote areas. Superchargers even in densely populated areas have appeared already built and ready to go without anyone here or on Supercharge.info knowing in advance.
I would argue that the hardest SCs to spot while under construction are not those in rural areas but those in the densest urban areas such as in underground parking garages as these are likely to be walled off completely until they are finished. Outdoor sites are generally only fenced and are very visible. This is why the Ottawa Rideau Centre and Toronto - Bay Street SCs were not found until they were completed.

Several points:
- Tesla never gives out information on Supercharger build out - the only info is on their Supercharger map - Coming Soon, Coming in 2018 etc
- Permiting for Superchargers is generally a local matter. I wouldn't expect the govt of Ontario to have anything to do with it or any knowledge of it, unless Ontario is different from most places in Canada and the US
- The perception is that Tesla has throttled back the Supercharger build out to help achieve profitability
- Superchargers may be under construction and we won't know unless someone spots them - unlikely in remote areas. Superchargers even in densely populated areas have appeared already built and ready to go without anyone here or on Supercharge.info knowing in advance.
- All this may change if Tesla really does go private. Funds may open up.
Well, I think the people in the infrastructure departments of the government and the people in charge o permits should know what is being planned. When I speak to theses people, they say nothing is being done. No supercharges anywhere in Ontario other than the ones already being built. No permits. no construction, no plans. Look, Im Just the messenger. I’m not telling you what this means. I’m just saying that I am being told no , no, no. What is it to them to lie. I want it to mean yes, yes, yes.

The point being made above is that the permitting would be with local municipalities, not with the province of Ontario. What ministry (or ministries) do you mean when you say "infrastructure departments"? MTO? I don't think they would get advance plans about what a private company like Tesla is doing. I suspect they have no idea if Shell is building any new gas stations, nor would they have any idea if Tesla is building SCs.

The point being made above is that the permitting would be with local municipalities, not with the province of Ontario. What ministry (or ministries) do you mean when you say "infrastructure departments"? MTO? I don't think they would get advance plans about what a private company like Tesla is doing. I suspect they have no idea if Shell is building any new gas stations, nor would they have any idea if Tesla is building SCs.
Well, I was talking to the local communities. However, i hope Tesla is doing something that the local departments know nothing about. I will be happy when some of these permits turn up. So far nothing and everyone is saying, “duh.”

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
I'm having the same experience in Saskatchewan. Most municipalities have no idea of what I'm asking about. Saskpower won' talk about it, and neither will Tesla unfortunately.

Saskatchewan is a small market for Tesla no doubt, but there are millions of dollars worth of cars coming to this province. A little more transparency would be nice

Actually, I have spoken with the Ontario government and they tell me nothing is going in.

The point being made above is that the permitting would be with local municipalities, not with the province of Ontario.

That's exactly right. The Ontario government has nothing to do with this type of thing, and in a lot of cases, even the municipal government may not be aware. At the end of the day, these are simply mid-sized commercial electricity services without a building around it. The best source of info would come from the Local Distribution Company (electric utility) but even they probably won't divulge information for confidentiality reasons.

Yep. I know nothing. I see nothing. We need to be better than this. This is important business for the world. It is frustrating for those who own electric cars and frightening for those who may buy one. It is even worse for the DC chase o chargers that are going across the country.

Actually, I have spoken with the Ontario government and they tell me nothing is going in. There are no permits for anything including Supercharger’s. Now. Could they be lying or just ignorant. Well. Tesla says that the chargers are going in. Haven’t started yet. No permits. Ontario says they are not going in. No permits. So far everyone says no permits. What is with all the secrecy from Tesla. What is with all the ignorance and or secrecy from Tesla.

This is obviously inaccurate. Local cities/towns have jurisdiction for building permits etc., not the province. So they would have no idea.

Please cite your sources.

Actually called the cities. The city planning departments should now. I still hope I am wrong. I am just telling you what they told me. Please find some department that says it differently.

You called ALL the cities? Seems unlikely.

Also does it apply to all situations? I was looking out for a site plan application to Ottawa, but the Rideau Centre Supercharger was only recognized during construction.

Actually called the cities. The city planning departments should now. I still hope I am wrong. I am just telling you what they told me. Please find some department that says it differently.
The city would only know if the land was purchased.

If the land is already owned, only the owner of that land would know what is being done there, unless it’s public land.

Reactions: MarcoRP
The city would only know if the land was purchased.
If the land is already owned, only the owner of that land would know what is being done there, unless it’s public land.

That's right. My guess is that the municipalities do not really have much visibility into this as most are situated on private property when the host agrees to providing some space to Tesla. The electric utilities will know for sure because to them, this is no different than any other commercial electricity service application. Service applications would come in many months in advance as planning needs to be undertaken to ensure capacity, ability to supply, costs and so forth. However, the utility cannot share this information for confidentiality reasons and I can assure you from firsthand experience (I worked for over 35 years in the utility sector before retiring at the end of 2015) that Tesla tells the utility to keep quiet.

In some jurisdictions they would have to submit a site plan, which would be publicly available. Rules seem to vary. But that would only apply to outdoor installations.

I suppose it's possible, but I certainly didn't submit any site plans for the L2 outdoor installations I was involved in installing. Just electrical permits. I doubt municipalities make any distinction between L2 and DCFC, let alone even know what the difference is themselves. One possibility might be if the property owner was registering an easement for Tesla and/or the electric utility to service the area.