Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Midwest Supercharger Christmas Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The UP of Michigan is a big one for me, and the planned charger in Escanaba isn't particularly helpful when my goal is to do Detroit - Tahquamenon Falls - Sault Ste Marie - Detroit or a cross-UP road trip. The Supercharger in Gaylord is too far south, and the one on Escanaba is too far out of the way.

I'm keeping my ICE vehicle around as a second car for UP road trips at present.

My priorities would be:

-Mackinaw City
-Marquette
-Houghton
-Sault Ste Marie
-Ironwood

Since this is a wishlist, Duluth to Ottawa would be nice:
Ashland, WI
Hurley, WI
Marquette, MI
Salute Ste Marie, ON
North Bay, ON
Pembroke, ON

and since it’s a wishlist, let’s not overlook:
Escanaba, MI

But I realize other areas of the country probably need supercharger’s more.

Minneapolis to Ottawa (or Torontoj is pretty well covered especially using the ferry from Manitowoc to Ludington.

Reactions: akhafagi
I would love to see the Lake Geneva, WI supercharger move forward...

I'm finding it very difficult in the cold weather to take my Model X from Huntley, IL to Brookfield, WI roundtrip for work. I've been using the Model 3, which makes it, but Western and Norther Milwaukee really need to get some chargers.

It's interesting as traveling along the major highways is no issue now. The trouble is now once you get off the highways and/pr round trips.

Greenville, Wisconsin? Why Florence when going north and west gets you to the Wausau supercharger? Then it is 100 miles north and a little east to Three Lakes where 4 Level 2 Chargers exist and charging is free! Houghton from Three Lakes is what 115 miles?

Since we're coming up on the Holidays I just thought I'd check up on how my holiday wishes from last year went, and think if I have any new ones for this year.

Only one of my wishes came true with Altoona IA opening. Its not the best location for a long stop, but its way more convenient for topping up before continuing on to Iowa City when coming back from Ames than using the limited L2 charging in Ames, or making the trip over to the West Des Moines SC.

As for the rest of my list from last year its not so great. Though if we get a CCS adapter this year there will be some good news at least for driving along US 20 in Iowa.
  • Sioux City - claimed to be coming by the end of 2018, still coming soon by the end of 2019
  • Hannibal MO / I-72 near the Mississippi - still nothing on the map
  • Peoria IL / I-74 west of the Illinois River - still nothing on the map
  • Ames IA / I-35 north of Des Moines / South of US 20 - still nothing on the map
  • Waterloo IA / north end of I-380 / US 20 between the Dubuque SC and I-35 - still nothing on the map (50kw CCS chargers coming)
  • Fort Dodge IA / Early IA south of Okoboji on US 20 - still nothing on the map (160kw CCS chargers coming at both Fort Dodge and Early)
  • Macomb IL - still nothing on the map
  • DeKalb IL / I-88 between Aurora and the Quad Cities - still nothing on the map
Adding for this year:
  • Somewhere on the Illinois side of the Mississippi near St Louis MO. Troy IL, Collinsville IL, or near the Cahokia Mounds museum.
  • Mt Pleasant IA / intersection of US 218 + US 34 since its an obvious site 28 miles from the Mississippi River Bridge of US 34

Reactions: TQCLove
Greenville, Wisconsin? Why Florence when going north and west gets you to the Wausau supercharger? Then it is 100 miles north and a little east to Three Lakes where 4 Level 2 Chargers exist and charging is free! Houghton from Three Lakes is what 115 miles?
Know this is old, I did a Keeweenaw trip this summer took the Florence route and it was fine, stopped a Meijer in GB for supplies, and Florence for ice cream got up there with more range than expected, made use of the Plugshare listing north of Houghton. May try Wausau to Three Lakes next time.

A bunch of my Christmas wishes for Coming Soon pins just got answered:

* Hannibal MO covering the Mississippi river / current end of I-72
* Peoria IL serving traffic on I-74 west of the Illinois River
* Waterloo IA serving all the traffic on the I-380 diagonal
* I-88 between the Quad Cities and Aurora now has a pin at Rochelle, which will also serve I-39
* Collinsville IL in the Illinois suburbs of St Louis

Sioux City has unfortunately once again gone another year without coming online with its pin now saying "Target opening in 2020".

Reactions: TQCLove
I live near Wausau and have family near Houghton so for me it would be amazing to see any type of fast charging in Watersmeet, Bruce Crossing, or Houghton. Five hours of charging in Three Lakes to make a round trip makes it possible but far from ideal.

Reactions: MarkoC
I live near Wausau and have family near Houghton so for me it would be amazing to see any type of fast charging in Watersmeet, Bruce Crossing, or Houghton. Five hours of charging in Three Lakes to make a round trip makes it possible but far from ideal.
Eagle river west to Hayward and Ashland plus Superior badly need dc fast charging capacity. Heck, Green Bay doesn't have any. The Up of Michigan also lacks the same.. Sad story.

Ev market needs more non superchargers to grow. What if the usamandates a ccs standards Europe did

I suspect a hidden agenda. This is a Tesla forum, talking about Tesla Superchargers. Your complaining that CCS is not more common? Why? Tesla’s charge on j1772 or CHAdeMO, not CCS.

My agenda is to learn how to better use a Tesla and keep up with OTA changes. I do not care to have a USA mandate non-Tesla issues. Yeah, and waiting for a Upper Peninsula Supercharger esp Escanaba...

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan