Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage vs percentage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally speaking the "miles" gives me anxiety so i switched to percentage. lol

The "miles" is useless. Miles is not a unit of measurement for energy storage. It's like saying phone makers putting "screen time" as the battery measurement. We know that's stupid because it depends on how we use the phone, if I play games the battery will die faster, etc so "screen time" would be a very stupid unit of measurement.

Yet it's perfectly fine in a car when it's the same thing (and some people actually like it)! I use heat, sound system, go street racing, etc and that "miles" doesn't show you anything realistic. I never know how much 55% of my battery is, or what "143 miles" mean.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: calidreamz808
I basically use the remaining range all the time. I know that it's about accurate in summer and when it gets really cold, I expect to use up to 40% more. Percentage is pretty much useless to me. If I want to go places, it's very easy to find out the distance, i.e. Ottawa is about 80 km from here. Nobody I know would say it's 16% away. That would depend on the car anyways, so it's kinda useless for this purpose.

That being said, there are rare situations when I switch to % but I don't need it for daily driving.

To each their own though. If you prefer to have both displayed at the same time then by all means, ask Elon to make it possible.

Reactions: BerkshireEV
The one place I'd like to see the info displayed as estimated miles is the Energy/Trip display:

trip.jpg

The "miles" is useless. Miles is not a unit of measurement for energy storage. It's like saying phone makers putting "screen time" as the battery measurement. We know that's stupid because it depends on how we use the phone, if I play games the battery will die faster, etc so "screen time" would be a very stupid unit of measurement.

Yet it's perfectly fine in a car when it's the same thing (and some people actually like it)! I use heat, sound system, go street racing, etc and that "miles" doesn't show you anything realistic. I never know how much 55% of my battery is, or what "143 miles" mean.

rated mile is a measurement of energy storage. thats what you are seeing. if you want to see remaining range you have to open the energy menu. For EVs with predictable discharging behaviour a constant makes sense and is somewhat more useable than kwh remaining as it tells you roughly how far you can go if you slow down to 95km/h/ 57mph. This is quite useful when you have to travel long range between charging stations (i.e. over 400km/250 miles) and definetely more useful than %. The issue is that the vast charging network in the USA and Europe has now made this quite obsolete - its mostly a legacy feature nad to check your kwh capacity of a full battery. In places outside of europe/USA it is however highly relevant.

I usually keep mine in % but if its an unknown route and I know charging is scarse i put it into rated range and then keep comparing the shrinking distance compared to the range till destination. If it shrinks too much you have to slow down, if it is the same or less you REALLY have to slow down. I try to arrive with 25km or more usually.
I know you say you can also just estimate it but when you have to cover 500km between charging stations and have AC cooling the car down with fanspeed at 7 you really need rated range.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight