Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles on car and 100% Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Model 3 SR+ that will be three years old at end of September with 46,000 miles on it. When we first got our car, 100% charge was 240 miles, now it’s 211.
Is this other peoples norm with their car?

Yes - 12% degradation is normal for that period of time. I’m experiencing similar on both my mid and long range cars. The mid range actually has a little more degradation despite having fewer than half the miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have a 2019 Model 3 SR+ that will be three years old at end of September with 46,000 miles on it. When we first got our car, 100% charge was 240 miles, now it’s 211.
We're at 37K miles on our April 2019 SR+, and predicted range has recently plummeted from ~218 miles to 205 miles. I charged it to 100% yesterday before a road trip, and it did display the 205. That puts it at down about 15% from the original 240 miles...

90%+ of our charges are at home, normally to 80%. I let it sit several days between charges, and try to let it sit occasionally with a low SOC, and other times at a high SOC. Appears to do nothing to up the range.

It's at the point where I'm beginning to notice an actual reduced range on longer drives. We used to be able to make it to the beach from home with plenty of spare charge; now it's very tight, so we have to add a short Supercharge along the way.

Still not a big problem, but if it continues at this rate it will be down 30% in 6 years. My worry would be Tesla just says at that point it's BMS idiosyncrasies, not real degradation, and will never admit the range has dropped below the warranted limit.

Of course for us this is about to become relatively moot, as we'll be selling the car to a buyer service when our new MYP gets here next week...

Upvote 0
Still not a big problem, but if it continues at this rate it will be down 30% in 6 years.
It most likely won’t, though it will still continue to lose capacity.

People should plan for 15% loss after 2-3 years, and 20% after 6 years. We don’t really know what six years will look like (so that’s a guess), but it seems for most capacity loss slows down a lot, as expected.

But just budgeting roughly like this and taking 20% off the top of your (actual) range when making the purchasing decision will eliminate most regrets. And most likely you’ll do slightly better which is desirable.

The 2019 SR+ seemed particularly bad for capacity loss, for whatever reason, by the way. Lots of examples of vehicles at around 200-210 miles after less than a year. Could just be anecdotal and it could be that SR+ owners are more likely to report.

My worry would be Tesla just says at that point it's BMS idiosyncrasies, not real degradation, and will never admit the range has dropped below the warranted limit.
They won’t. It’s quite deterministic. If the BMS says more than 30% lost, more than 30% is lost (estimated), so that’s a warranty claim. There’s no other way to determine this (except by driving and monitoring the trip meter which also uses parts of the BMS) except by the BMS.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Upvote 0
I would have guessed it to be a little low, yet not out of line. I don't know about the 3, but my older 2017 X with a little more mileage than yours has lost 8% range. Yours is more like 12%. Bottom line though is that is not low enough that Tesla will do anything about it so it doesn't really matter how your car compares to someone else's. Just enjoy it and don't worry about it :)

Upvote 0