Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles per kWh at different speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very curious if anyone has seen a dataset/figure/table that shows the number of miles a model 3 (or a similar model) can travel per kWh at different speeds.

I imagine that many more miles can come from a kWh at 45 mph, 65 mph, and 75 mph but would love to get a numerical idea of how much worse it is to drive fast (and a curve of efficiency based on speed).

I have scoured the web but have not been able to find anything. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and apologies if I have overlooked anything!

I am very curious if anyone has seen a dataset/figure/table that shows the number of miles a model 3 (or a similar model) can travel per kWh at different speeds.

I imagine that many more miles can come from a kWh at 45 mph, 65 mph, and 75 mph but would love to get a numerical idea of how much worse it is to drive fast (and a curve of efficiency based on speed).

I have scoured the web but have not been able to find anything. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and apologies if I have overlooked anything!
70mph range test:

75mph range test:

80mph range test:

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Here’s the output of a simple model I created many years ago when the Model 3 first came out.

FpqcxF9.png

Upvote 0

Good question. But it's complicated by the fact that Tesla has, over time, made both hardware and software changes that affect the inherent efficiency of a particular model car. Examples on the hardware side include the introduction of the Octovalve and improvements in the drive units themselves. And there have been numerous software tweaks that improved (and, occasionally, worsened) efficiency.

The other huge wildcard is how people drive. While many bemoan the "unattainable in the real world" EPA spec that Tesla publicizes, some of us consistently beat it.

Tesla_M3_Efficiency.PNG

Upvote 0
Good question. But it's complicated by the fact that Tesla has, over time, made both hardware and software changes that affect the inherent efficiency of a particular model car. Examples on the hardware side include the introduction of the Octovalve and improvements in the drive units themselves. And there have been numerous software tweaks that improved (and, occasionally, worsened) efficiency.

The other huge wildcard is how people drive. While many bemoan the "unattainable in the real world" EPA spec that Tesla publicizes, some of us consistently beat it.

View attachment 960290
I consistently beat EPA range going downhill and/or not driving on the highway and/or with good weather and consistently do worse uphill / going highway speed limits 70+ mph / cold weather

I don't find "how I drive" has much to do with it unless I choose not to drive uphill in the winter but how else would I go skiing even if I went 30 mph on the highway I wouldn't obtain rated range in those conditions

Upvote 0
I consistently beat EPA range going downhill and/or not driving on the highway and/or with good weather and consistently do worse uphill / going highway speed limits 70+ mph / cold weather

I don't find "how I drive" has much to do with it unless I choose not to drive uphill in the winter but how else would I go skiing even if I went 30 mph on the highway I wouldn't obtain rated range in those conditions

Certainly, route geography, weather, and temperature are all important factors in vehicle efficiency. But one of the great myths in the driving world - going back to ICE vehicles - is that, those factors aside... vehicle efficiency is simply baked into the vehicle we bought. We look at things like gas mileage or Wh/mi and associate those with the vehicle, not ourselves.

To the extent that we think of driver input at all, it's usually limited to the memes of "drive like a grandma" or "drive it like you stole it." There's a lot between those two extremes. Alas, most drivers, most the time, "just drive" with pretty close to zero appreciation for how a countless stream of unconscious driving choices affect their efficiency.

Take ten drivers, put them on a hundred-mile road course in the same qualified-identical vehicle, at the same time, and you'd end up with ten different efficiency results.

No question the car is the bigger piece of the efficiency question. But it's not the only thing.

Upvote 0