Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minneapolis - Anyone Install a Dedicated EV Time of Use Meter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone from Minneapolis installed a dedicated EV Time of Use meter from Excel Energy? And does it even exist?

Anyone I've talked to at Excel always responds with we can do an off peak meter for the whole house by replacing the existing meter. Which is a great rate ($0.02), but any electric consumed during peak is charged at the premium rate ($0.14). I think that option would actually cost me more.

Jukka of Plug In Connect has (he owns a Leaf).
If you would like, our next Minnesota Plug In Owners Circle meeting is Thursday at the GE Innovation Center. Feel free to stop buy, I am sure there are a few that have done this.

The big thing is minimizing electric use during peak hours. I'm with Connexus, they have any EV only time of use program I am on.

I have the full house TOU on Xcel, I had to do a few things to change habits around the house and I cool at night but over all it has been cheaper for me. A 2nd meter for me was not an option due to living in a townhouse so I did not investigate any options around that.

If I remember right when you get your meter switched to the full house TOU you have a grace period where you can retroactively go back to the old billing style. I think it costs $20 to swap back to the old meter if you choose to otherwise you have to keep it for at least a year.

Hi,

Excel Energy has an EV plan -- $0.033 kWh from 9pm to 9am and $4.95/month. However, it requires a separate meter.
https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/xe/PDF/Marketing/MN-EV Rate-Contractor-Set-Up-Guide-MN.pdf

I got a quote of 2-3K for the new meter socket and installation.

Does anyone have a 2nd meter installed? What were the total costs?

By my calculations, unless i'm driving day and night, the ROI for the second meter appears to be 10-20 years.....

Thanks!!

I signed up for this and had a second panel/meter installed. My house only had a 100amp panel originally so when adding a new circuit for a wall charger my options were to upgrade the existing panel and service line, or add a second panel and additional service line from xcel.

My electrician charged $1500 to install a second panel and meter socket and install the Tesla wall charger. Xcel charged me $750 to pull in a second service line.

I just had this installed - I have Connexus. We had a second sub panel installed in the basement as our single panel was full, copper wire pulled through the finished basement and the NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage, plus the second meter from Connexus. All in, $1,750 and about six hours of labor time. Had the inspection from Connexus and we are good to go - I just need to schedule the car to charge overnight and I get half the standard rate. The rest of the house remains on the standard rate 24/7. I also signed up for the Revolt wind energy program, which is free, mainly to have a rebuttal to anyone who says my EV still takes coal to produce the energy to charge it. :)

Reactions: KJD
For us the Xcel TOU plan would have been more expensive. In some ways MN is quite EV unfriendly compared to other places — no good option for reduced cost charging overnight, no HOV lane benefits, and no reduction on annual registration. I think the benefits of EV's, Tesla in particular, are certainly enough to make them very attractive but I do wonder how many more EV's (and how much less pollution) would be on the road here with some incentives?

For us the Xcel TOU plan would have been more expensive. In some ways MN is quite EV unfriendly compared to other places — no good option for reduced cost charging overnight, no HOV lane benefits, and no reduction on annual registration. I think the benefits of EV's, Tesla in particular, are certainly enough to make them very attractive but I do wonder how many more EV's (and how much less pollution) would be on the road here with some incentives?

Xcel doesn't have a reduced "time of day" program? That's crappy... Connexus does have a pretty good program in that 8pm-8am every day, plus some off-peak times, are both reduced rates. As long as I don't charge between 4pm and 8pm, when the rate is off the charts (about 4x the standard rate), I'm getting a good deal.