Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor dent + scratch occurred in camera blindspot.

tbwnm

Sep 1, 2019
Los Angeles
My Model Y less than 2 weeks old and the right fender was scratched and dented while parked on Monday. Checked the DashCam footage and found when the hit occured (you can see the camera shake in this clip at 29 seconds in as the child in the back seat appears to kick the back door open). Even though its a relatively pretty small ding, the Tesla Certified local body shop in Glendale quoted me between $500 to $800 to repair and repaint the entire fender. Don't want to go through insurance unless I can prove the other driver was at fault as this will increase my rates, but as the actual hit occurred in the camera blindspot I doub't they will be able to get the other drivers insurance to accept responsibility (I was able to capture the other drivers license plate). Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm not willing to pay out of pocket for something like this, so I'll probably just apply some touch up paint to the scratch to make it a little less noticeable.
IMG_2860.jpeg

iamnid

Dec 4, 2019
Riverside, CA
I wouldn't be so certain that you can't get the other driver's insurance to pay for it. Go through your own insurance, provide them the video and have them go after the other party -- you'll get your deductible back once they collect from the other party's insurance. I don't think it will be that much of a hurdle that the video doesn't show the actual impact -- the shaking should be enough and there may be evidence on the other car as well.

tbwnm

Sep 1, 2019
Los Angeles
I wouldn't be so certain that you can't get the other driver's insurance to pay for it. Go through your own insurance, provide them the video and have them go after the other party -- you'll get your deductible back once they collect from the other party's insurance. I don't think it will be that much of a hurdle that the video doesn't show the actual impact -- the shaking should be enough and there may be evidence on the other car as well.
Thanks for the reply, I just spoke with my insurance company (CONNECT) and they recommended I first report the accident to the police to get a police report generated and once I get a copy of the report it will identify the insurance of the other vehicle and I then file a claim with the other parties insurance policy. Based on my evidence (even though I don't have video of the actual hit), his opinion was that the other parties insurance will most likely accept responsibility based on the video evidence I do have. If they don't, then I can contact my insurance and they will repair the vehicle and go after the other insurance company to get my deductible reimbursed through a process called "subrogation". If that fails, then they will go through arbitration which is binding. However, based on what I described to the agent, he thought it really shouldn't go that far given the video evidence I do have and that the other insurance company should accept liability. Sounds simple enough, but in my experience insurance claims are always a hassle so will need to give it some thought and decide of its worth the headache.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I would suggest you follow your insurance company's instructions in this matter. The insurance company will handle recovering any compensation. You will be left to deal with the lost time of having the vehicle repaired. I had similar damage done to a previous vehicle. An inconsiderate hard kick while opening the rear door of a what was probably a large truck or SUV put a huge dent in the rear passenger door of my vehicle. Without dash cam or other video I had to pay for the repair and a rental vehicle. Please keep us informed on how this is resolved.

Last edited:

Flightgamer

Apr 8, 2021
Wake Forest NC
Agree with this. Good advice. Your ins needs to do it. Don't offer evidence yourself to the other party.

tbwnm

Sep 1, 2019
Los Angeles
I would suggest you follow your insurance company's instructions in this matter. The insurance company will handle recovering any compensation. You will be left to deal with the lost time of having the vehicle repaired. I had similar damage done to a previous vehicle. An inconsiderate hard kick while opening the rear door of a what was probably a large truck or SUV put a huge dent in the rear passenger door of my vehicle. Without dash cam or other video I had to pay for the repair and a rental vehicle. Please keep us informed on how this is resolved.
My insurance didn’t offer to deal with anything at this point and said they would get involved if the other drivers insurance does not approve my claim, so the initial legwork will all be from me. I’ll probably go ahead and file a police report and submit a claim to the other parties insurance for the repair. Worth a try I suppose.

tbwnm

Sep 1, 2019
Los Angeles
My insurance didn’t offer to deal with anything at this point and said they would get involved if the other drivers insurance does not approve my claim, so the initial legwork will all be from me. I’ll probably go ahead and file a police report and submit a claim to the other parties insurance for the repair. Worth a try I suppose.
Because the incident didn’t happen on the FWY but on a public street in LA County, I had to file the police report with the LAPD (rather than the CHP). In order to file the report on-line, I had to classify it as a “Hit and Run”. I should know within 5 days if my report has been accepted and at that time I’ll be able to submit the report to insurance. Once I’m able to get the insurance info of the other party from the police report, I’m really not down with contacting the other parties insurance directly to file a claim so I’ll try my Insurance (Connect) again and ask them to pursue the claim on my behalf. Seems like a lot to go through for a relatively small scratch and dent (and I really don’t want to cause the other driver unnecessary grief for this “accident”), but then again, it’s a Tesla, so the fix is going to come to $800 which I shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket. After all, this is why we pay what we pay for insurance right?

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Because the incident didn’t happen on the FWY but on a public street in LA County, I had to file the police report with the LAPD (rather than the CHP). In order to file the report on-line, I had to classify it as a “Hit and Run”. I should know within 5 days if my report has been accepted and at that time I’ll be able to submit the report to insurance. Once I’m able to get the insurance info of the other party from the police report, I’m really not down with contacting the other parties insurance directly to file a claim so I’ll try my Insurance (Connect) again and ask them to pursue the claim on my behalf. Seems like a lot to go through for a relatively small scratch and dent (and I really don’t want to cause the other driver unnecessary grief for this “accident”), but then again, it’s a Tesla, so the fix is going to come to $800 which I shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket. After all, this is why we pay what we pay for insurance right?
You will also have to leave the vehicle to be repaired for several days if not longer. If the Tesla is your only vehicle you will have the additional expense of renting a car. I would conservatively say the total cost of the repair, rental is more than $1,000.

Reactions: tbwnm

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC