Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor dent + scratch occurred in camera blindspot.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y less than 2 weeks old and the right fender was scratched and dented while parked on Monday. Checked the DashCam footage and found when the hit occured (you can see the camera shake in this clip at 29 seconds in as the child in the back seat appears to kick the back door open). Even though its a relatively pretty small ding, the Tesla Certified local body shop in Glendale quoted me between $500 to $800 to repair and repaint the entire fender. Don't want to go through insurance unless I can prove the other driver was at fault as this will increase my rates, but as the actual hit occurred in the camera blindspot I doub't they will be able to get the other drivers insurance to accept responsibility (I was able to capture the other drivers license plate). Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm not willing to pay out of pocket for something like this, so I'll probably just apply some touch up paint to the scratch to make it a little less noticeable.
IMG_2860.jpeg

I wouldn't be so certain that you can't get the other driver's insurance to pay for it. Go through your own insurance, provide them the video and have them go after the other party -- you'll get your deductible back once they collect from the other party's insurance. I don't think it will be that much of a hurdle that the video doesn't show the actual impact -- the shaking should be enough and there may be evidence on the other car as well.

I wouldn't be so certain that you can't get the other driver's insurance to pay for it. Go through your own insurance, provide them the video and have them go after the other party -- you'll get your deductible back once they collect from the other party's insurance. I don't think it will be that much of a hurdle that the video doesn't show the actual impact -- the shaking should be enough and there may be evidence on the other car as well.
Thanks for the reply, I just spoke with my insurance company (CONNECT) and they recommended I first report the accident to the police to get a police report generated and once I get a copy of the report it will identify the insurance of the other vehicle and I then file a claim with the other parties insurance policy. Based on my evidence (even though I don't have video of the actual hit), his opinion was that the other parties insurance will most likely accept responsibility based on the video evidence I do have. If they don't, then I can contact my insurance and they will repair the vehicle and go after the other insurance company to get my deductible reimbursed through a process called "subrogation". If that fails, then they will go through arbitration which is binding. However, based on what I described to the agent, he thought it really shouldn't go that far given the video evidence I do have and that the other insurance company should accept liability. Sounds simple enough, but in my experience insurance claims are always a hassle so will need to give it some thought and decide of its worth the headache.

I would suggest you follow your insurance company's instructions in this matter. The insurance company will handle recovering any compensation. You will be left to deal with the lost time of having the vehicle repaired. I had similar damage done to a previous vehicle. An inconsiderate hard kick while opening the rear door of a what was probably a large truck or SUV put a huge dent in the rear passenger door of my vehicle. Without dash cam or other video I had to pay for the repair and a rental vehicle. Please keep us informed on how this is resolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
Agree with this. Good advice. Your ins needs to do it. Don't offer evidence yourself to the other party.

I would suggest you follow your insurance company's instructions in this matter. The insurance company will handle recovering any compensation. You will be left to deal with the lost time of having the vehicle repaired. I had similar damage done to a previous vehicle. An inconsiderate hard kick while opening the rear door of a what was probably a large truck or SUV put a huge dent in the rear passenger door of my vehicle. Without dash cam or other video I had to pay for the repair and a rental vehicle. Please keep us informed on how this is resolved.
My insurance didn’t offer to deal with anything at this point and said they would get involved if the other drivers insurance does not approve my claim, so the initial legwork will all be from me. I’ll probably go ahead and file a police report and submit a claim to the other parties insurance for the repair. Worth a try I suppose.

My insurance didn’t offer to deal with anything at this point and said they would get involved if the other drivers insurance does not approve my claim, so the initial legwork will all be from me. I’ll probably go ahead and file a police report and submit a claim to the other parties insurance for the repair. Worth a try I suppose.
Because the incident didn’t happen on the FWY but on a public street in LA County, I had to file the police report with the LAPD (rather than the CHP). In order to file the report on-line, I had to classify it as a “Hit and Run”. I should know within 5 days if my report has been accepted and at that time I’ll be able to submit the report to insurance. Once I’m able to get the insurance info of the other party from the police report, I’m really not down with contacting the other parties insurance directly to file a claim so I’ll try my Insurance (Connect) again and ask them to pursue the claim on my behalf. Seems like a lot to go through for a relatively small scratch and dent (and I really don’t want to cause the other driver unnecessary grief for this “accident”), but then again, it’s a Tesla, so the fix is going to come to $800 which I shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket. After all, this is why we pay what we pay for insurance right?

Because the incident didn’t happen on the FWY but on a public street in LA County, I had to file the police report with the LAPD (rather than the CHP). In order to file the report on-line, I had to classify it as a “Hit and Run”. I should know within 5 days if my report has been accepted and at that time I’ll be able to submit the report to insurance. Once I’m able to get the insurance info of the other party from the police report, I’m really not down with contacting the other parties insurance directly to file a claim so I’ll try my Insurance (Connect) again and ask them to pursue the claim on my behalf. Seems like a lot to go through for a relatively small scratch and dent (and I really don’t want to cause the other driver unnecessary grief for this “accident”), but then again, it’s a Tesla, so the fix is going to come to $800 which I shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket. After all, this is why we pay what we pay for insurance right?
You will also have to leave the vehicle to be repaired for several days if not longer. If the Tesla is your only vehicle you will have the additional expense of renting a car. I would conservatively say the total cost of the repair, rental is more than $1,000.

Reactions: tbwnm
May I ask the name of the Tesla certified auto body shop in Glendale? I have a similar scratch on my rear hatch, maybe smaller. I've gotten quotes from $700 (they now claim they quoted me incorrectly--it's actually more) to $2400. Thanks.

on a separate note. I notice that a LOT of Y owners report rear hatch dings. I suspect a good portion are due to home garage doors being open/up, and rear hatches making contact. In addition to setting hatch height limits (check your manual), I purchased the one of the long foam tubes of insulation that usually goes around outdoor HVAC lines or plumbing lines, from Lowes. Cut a few pieces and duct taped them to the areas of the garage door that the rear hatch would potentially make contact if opened 100% fully. Preventative action

Reactions: FatherTo1 and tbwnm
also, Im not 100% certian a GOOD Paintless Dent Repair guy couldnt get most of that dent fixed. Could then use spray to touch up the part left with paint missing. Brush on touch up would not look great. Also, may areas have local guys (PDR guys usually know them) with mobile services who can touch up/blend very small areas like that. Often to perfection, other times it will look say, 80-90% close. If it were me, I'd do everything in my power if possible, to avoid an entire panel respray. Often can be tough to get a 100% perfect match, and on side panels (Vs hood or trunk), can look very obvious next to the adjancent panels. Unless the body shop also does a blend into the next panel.

All of that last part? I hate and try to avoid and just try PDR and spot spray

Last edited:
on a separate note. I notice that a LOT of Y owners report rear hatch dings. I suspect a good portion are due to home garage doors being open/up, and rear hatches making contact. In addition to setting hatch height limits (check your manual), I purchased the one of the long foam tubes of insulation that usually goes around outdoor HVAC lines or plumbing lines, from Lowes. Cut a few pieces and duct taped them to the areas of the garage door that the rear hatch would potentially make contact if opened 100% fully. Preventative action
You can also set the hatch open height so it won’t hit anything.

You can also set the hatch open height so it won’t hit anything.
Yep...which is what I put in the post. But Im not 100% convinced that after all updates or maybe after an eventual 12v batter replacement? The limit may not get reset. And then the only way I'd know...is when my wife opens the hatch and it..hits the garage door.

This way for less than about $2.00 in materials and less than 10 mins of my time? I've added notable protection. Risk vs reward.

May I ask the name of the Tesla certified auto body shop in Glendale? I have a similar scratch on my rear hatch, maybe smaller. I've gotten quotes from $700 (they now claim they quoted me incorrectly--it's actually more) to $2400. Thanks.
I contacted All City Collision in Burbank for the initial quote but the quote I received was just over the phone and not formal (I just texted them a couple of pictures and I'm not sure if they even looked at them). The $800 verbal quote was for small dent repair and then respray of the panel. To update on my first post on April 8th, I have still not received a response to the police report I filled with LAPD on-line (according to the on-line submission I should have been contacted and/or the report approved within 5 days but have received no response) and after trying to speak to someone at LAPD, I just got the run around being told that I should be following up with my insurance company to get the other parties insurance details and not them and they couldn't tell me if or when I would receive the police report. However, as I mentioned in my first post, my insurance company (Connect) told I need to get the report from LAPD first in order get the other parties insurance information and then file a claim directly with the other parties insurance. As I have gotten nowhere in the 3 weeks since the incident happened, I went ahead and filed a claim through my insurance today. The adjuster said they can do a license plate search to find the other insured information and can also submit a claim to them on my behalf (wish Connect had told me this is the first place!). I have the option to wait until the other insurance has accepted liability and then settle the cost of damages directly (have no idea how long this may take). This will avoid me having to pay my deductible (which I may or may not get reimbursed) as well as have my rates potentially affected. The adjuster advised that as the incident happened while the vehicle was parked, it would be a "no fault" claim and would not effect my driving record either way, but if my insurance ends up paying for the damages and not recouping from the other party, it could still impact my rates when it comes time to renew. At this point, I'm going to just hope that I have enough Dash Cam video evidence that the other parties insurance will just settle and pay the damages. If not, I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it and decide if I want to just pay for it through my insurance, pay for it myself out of pocket or not bother having the damage repaired and just live with it. I was initially considering not going through any of this and just living with it, but decided I should at least see if I can get the other insurance to pay for the damages as sooner or later (if and when I sell or trade in the vehicle) I’m going to get dinged for it if it's not repaired.

also, Im not 100% certian a GOOD Paintless Dent Repair guy couldnt get most of that dent fixed. Could then use spray to touch up the part left with paint missing. Brush on touch up would not look great. Also, may areas have local guys (PDR guys usually know them) with mobile services who can touch up/blend very small areas like that. Often to perfection, other times it will look say, 80-90% close. If it were me, I'd do everything in my power if possible, to avoid an entire panel respray. Often can be tough to get a 100% perfect match, and on side panels (Vs hood or trunk), can look very obvious next to the adjancent panels. Unless the body shop also does a blend into the next panel.

All of that last part? I hate and try to avoid and just try PDR and spot spray
I'm one of these MY who got a small ding from the hatch hitting a low hanging pipe :( luckily I had a full PPF wrap that took most of the damage, hoping the rest can be buffed out when I get the wrap fixed.

My local service center was nice enough to give me the paint repair kit, but I'm hesitant in trying it.

Attachments

• PXL_20210415_114632978.jpg
    PXL_20210415_114632978.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 122
I'm one of these MY who got a small ding from the hatch hitting a low hanging pipe :( luckily I had a full PPF wrap that took most of the damage, hoping the rest can be buffed out when I get the wrap fixed.

My local service center was nice enough to give me the paint repair kit, but I'm hesitant in trying it.
ouch. Kinda hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like a small circle of paint missing but no actual dent? If thats true, kinda odd that PPF didnt protect the paint from getting chipped. Either way, there are a few youtube vids on how to use kits like Dr Colorchip and the like to minimize the visibility of the damage overall. Not so much the product, but technique. In short, best way to eliminate the chip is to even the layer. Get the recessed area even with the surrunding area. That requires very fine sandpaper to smooth out the jagged edges surrounding the chip. Then you do layer upon layer of touchup paint (has to dry between layers) using a gloved finger to smooth it out/blend it in. Takes time, but final results can be very, very good. Spraying is best but if done right, touchup without spray can achieve very good results as well on very small chips like yours

Just circling back to everyone on the my post. The Hit & Run "Incident Report" I filled with the LAPD on April 10th was finally approved on April 28th and and became a "Los Angeles Police Department Investigative Report" and I was provided with a "DR Number". I received a phone call from the other insured insurance company (Progressive) on Saturday and they advised that they had not received a response from their insured yet and have had to send them a "more formal communication" and give them 10 days or so to respond and then they can move forward with repairing my vehicle (the other insured's agent indicated that between the police report, videos and photos they will be getting the car fixed). As I mentioned in my earlier post, initially the agent at CONNECT (my insurance company) told me I had to first file a police report and once this is processed (which can take several weeks), get a copy of the report (which I would have to pay the $18 fee for a copy of the report to be mailed to me) which will provide me with the other parties insurance company and then file a claim directly with the other insurance company (incidentally, when I called the desk at a local LAPD station in Glendale, an officer told me this is not how it works and I need to press my insurance company to provide this information). Well, this turned out not to be the case and once I filed a claim with my insurance company and had an adjuster assigned, the adjuster was able to initiate the search for the other insured's insurance company based on the plate number I gave and file and claim with the other insured on my behalf. Looks like I will be dealing directly with the other insured to process the actual payment of the repair which I don't foresee an issue with. So, if your involved in an incident like this, although your insurance company may initially instruct you otherwise, my advice would be to stick to your guns and make your insurance company file the claim on your behalf (although I do believe it's important and will help your case that you have first filed a police report). May as well get some service for the high insurance premiums we all pay after all! I'll let you all know how if goes with the repair which hopefully will be initiated in the next couple of weeks. Thanks everyone for your advice/assistance!

Just circling back to everyone on the my post. The Hit & Run "Incident Report" I filled with the LAPD on April 10th was finally approved on April 28th and and became a "Los Angeles Police Department Investigative Report" and I was provided with a "DR Number". I received a phone call from the other insured insurance company (Progressive) on Saturday and they advised that they had not received a response from their insured yet and have had to send them a "more formal communication" and give them 10 days or so to respond and then they can move forward with repairing my vehicle (the other insured's agent indicated that between the police report, videos and photos they will be getting the car fixed). As I mentioned in my earlier post, initially the agent at CONNECT (my insurance company) told me I had to first file a police report and once this is processed (which can take several weeks), get a copy of the report (which I would have to pay the $18 fee for a copy of the report to be mailed to me) which will provide me with the other parties insurance company and then file a claim directly with the other insurance company (incidentally, when I called the desk at a local LAPD station in Glendale, an officer told me this is not how it works and I need to press my insurance company to provide this information). Well, this turned out not to be the case and once I filed a claim with my insurance company and had an adjuster assigned, the adjuster was able to initiate the search for the other insured's insurance company based on the plate number I gave and file and claim with the other insured on my behalf. Looks like I will be dealing directly with the other insured to process the actual payment of the repair which I don't foresee an issue with. So, if your involved in an incident like this, although your insurance company may initially instruct you otherwise, my advice would be to stick to your guns and make your insurance company file the claim on your behalf (although I do believe it's important and will help your case that you have first filed a police report). May as well get some service for the high insurance premiums we all pay after all! I'll let you all know how if goes with the repair which hopefully will be initiated in the next couple of weeks. Thanks everyone for your advice/assistance!
That is correct, you should not have to deal with anyone else's insurance company except your own. Your insurance company should be handling all the claim process with the other party's insurance company.

Estimate has finally been written by the other parties Insurance (Progressive) and I'm finally taking my vehicle in to All Service Collision in Burbank on Monday. To repair that small dent and scratch on the fender, the estimate came to $1,815. This claim along with a rent a car (repair is estimated should take 4 days) is being paid directly by the other parties insurance which will be a little cleaner than going through my insurance who would then get reimbursed. Glad I went through the hassle, as even seemingly minor damage on a Tesla is costly to repair (at least if your going to go through a Tesla Certified Body Shop). Tesla DashCam feature is invaluable and has saved us twice now with insurance claims.

May as well get some service for the high insurance premiums we all pay after all!

I'm not a big fan of increasing company costs if I can avoid it since it will just circle around as higher costs. That said, I would definitely go through my own insurance company since the counter-party is a lot less likely to dick them around, and wrong information gets sorted out.

Reactions: alexcue