Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors unusable when dimmed 2021 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else have mirrors, both rear view and side, which are constantly dimmed when dark and effectively unusable?
They do not seem to only dim when there are headlights behind - even dimming when sat in driveway with no other light source and before moving.

They dim based on time of day, I believe sunset/sunrise times, nothing to do with headlight detection or anything like that.

“Tesla”
Just look through threads on this and there are mixed messages on this (for the 2020s, not sure if 2021s changed). Some people say it's all on time of day. There are some that say it's based on ambient light (someone mentioned in a bright tunnel it didn't dim) claiming it's from a sensor on the back of the rear view camera (which should be the same one used to dim the screen). It might be a mixture of both.

When I have a chance I'll try to test it out. Should be easy to test just based on blocking that sensor at different times of day.

I have one of the 2020 model year cars with dimming mirrors. They dim at night,, not sure if it's time of day or light level. It does seem to be synchronised with the light level that the screen turns to night mode, so I suspect they are driven by light level. Also, they seem to turn off dimming when in reverse, but not immediately. Bit of a nuisance when trying to reverse into out drive in the dark, as the mirrors dip down so that the kerb can be seen, but being dimmed a bit the image isn't as clear as in daytime.

The manual says they dim based on ambient light. Apparently they undim if you are in reverse, but certainly on my 2019 version this is so slow that I'm not sure I've noticed.

Fortunately the rear camera is good in low light.

You can deactivate the auto-dimming easily by removing the mirror glass and disconnecting the sensor wire. Add some electrical tape around the wire and replace the glass.

I swapped out my non dimming mirrors for some wide angled ones with a permanent tint, they work really well. I put some pictures together of the removal process here:

Wide Angle + Anti Glare Wingmirror Glass Upgrade

In the second picture, where you see the two black wires for the heating element you should have a third wire there if your car has auto dimming mirrors from the factory. This wire can be pulled, wrapped and left disconnected. It won't trigger any warnings on the cars display.

There was promise of auto-dimming being configurable in the car, some time back. Unfortunately, like many things, it doesn't appear to have gone any further than Elon saying something positive about it on Twitter.

As @Medved_77 said you can quite easily disconnect the dimming wire with no ill effect (heating is separate).

My 2020 feels like it's dimming systematically at night. Just like the OP, they get very dark, or at least a bit too dark for my taste. Yes, they do cut light glare, I don't remember ever being blinded by the lights of the cars behind. I just mostly don't see them anymore :) I would appreciate some kind of setting, I would not want to just unplug them.

I have one of the 2020 model year cars with dimming mirrors. They dim at night,, not sure if it's time of day or light level. It does seem to be synchronised with the light level that the screen turns to night mode, so I suspect they are driven by light level. Also, they seem to turn off dimming when in reverse, but not immediately. Bit of a nuisance when trying to reverse into out drive in the dark, as the mirrors dip down so that the kerb can be seen, but being dimmed a bit the image isn't as clear as in daytime.
Are 2020 cars supposed to have dimming mirrors? Mine doesn’t. Or is it just the final quarter ones?

My 2020 feels like it's dimming systematically at night. Just like the OP, they get very dark, or at least a bit too dark for my taste. Yes, they do cut light glare, I don't remember ever being blinded by the lights of the cars behind. I just mostly don't see them anymore :) I would appreciate some kind of setting, I would not want to just unplug them.
Any updates on this front? I think Elon twitted they would fix this? It was too dark for me too on a model Y test ride so I've stopped my purchase process almost at the end and now waiting for that to be fixed before I finish purchase...Model Y (sold around New Year) and Model 3 got the same side mirror issue...

Elon says a lot of things. :(

Dimming came back late 2020. It entirely depends on when your car was built as to whether it has them or not. They vanished on or around February 2020 delivered cars, at least in the UK.

Annoyingly Tesla changed the harness twice, rather than just leaving the dimming wire disconnected, so it's not like you can even easily retrofit it.

Any updates on this front? I think Elon twitted they would fix this? It was too dark for me too on a model Y test ride so I've stopped my purchase process almost at the end and now waiting for that to be fixed before I finish purchase...Model Y (sold around New Year) and Model 3 got the same side mirror issue...
Others mentioned it, but the "fix" it seemed was to use non-dimming mirrors. However they made a return near the end of last year.

Not sure why Tesla can't just put a software toggle to disable the dimming.