Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mis-matched donut spare diameter okay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, first post here! :)

Trying to figure out what's the smallest spare tire I can get, in hopes of storing it somewhere out of the way, but all the spare tire threads I can find reference either full-sized spares or donuts with matching diameter.

Will the Model Y torque vectoring allow a different (smaller) diameter wheel without damage?

My last car didn’t have a spare but I kept one of those slime inflator kits in there. Got a puncture flat pulling into Disneyland and I used it. It worked great, made it home no problem and drove it to a tire shop the next day for a patch, it won’t solve every flat but if you get something worse like sidewall damage, then you could call for a tow.

ABS and stability control count on like diameter as well.
Stick to one diameter.

Yes, understand it's not the best setup, (true of a full diameter skinny spare as well), but we're talking maybe once a year limping a few miles, not a daily driving scenario.

The question is if this will actually damage anything?

I would think the car will see it as wheel slip since the tires will rotate a different speeds. Probably will try to correct which will include braking and throttle control. IMHO you will screw up a bunch of stuff. Use a fix a flat kit or call roadside assistance would be my recommendation.

I would think the car will see it as wheel slip since the tires will rotate a different speeds. Probably will try to correct which will include braking and throttle control. IMHO you will screw up a bunch of stuff. Use a fix a flat kit or call roadside assistance would be my recommendation.

So "Track Mode" is probably going to be necessary to keep those bits out of the way.

How about the differential, mechanically speaking? As i understand it there's nothing special about it, but I've yet to find an exploded diagram etc to confirm. But if it's a standard diff it should be fine, so track mode may be the only requirement?