Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Spare Tire - I Have a few Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Flat tires are like windshield issues. Random.
I can't remember the last time I had a flat. None in my 2015 Outback, or 2003 Camry, nor the '93 ZX convertible. So must be 80s or earlier ( do remember one in '75 in the '67 mustang convertible). Oh, just remembered the family van did get one in the early nineties but by the time I got to the dentist parking lot my 12 yo daughter was finishing up the spare swap.

That said, last week, first I took my wife's camry to fix a flat then 3 days later took my MY. Both were fixable nails in the tread. Fortunately both slow enough to drop off the cars so I didn't have to do any wheel changes. FWIW, I asked the guy about the foam and he went to ask the tech who said he applied a bit of patch glue and stuck the foam back on.

I did have to replace the windshiedl in the '03 camry. The '74 Z got a stone that developed maybe a 2" crack but I never fixed that as it wasn't leaking and sold the car (stupid me) when the first one was born.

I've had more Tesla flats than flats in any other car (3). So far they've been discovered at home. First one, Tesla fixed. The other two I dismounted the tire, put on the spare for safety, and took the tire into town using another car. Way too much work, trouble to involve Tesla again so I do it myself.

By the way, Costco showed me what they use to repair Tesla tires which looks similar to what Tesla used. They claim to repair lots of Tesla tires.
My next flat, I'll use them. The other two repairs were just plugs.

costco_tire_repair.jpg

I have a plug kit and a compressor as well. I've never done a plug so it's last resort. First is the tire store if I can make, 2nd is the modern spare and 3 is baking in the sun trying to figure out how to do a plug fix.
Watch a YouTube video now so you're ready.

t takes a good bit of hand strength to get the plug in, even with the wheel/tire off the car. Doing it while the the wheel/tire is ON the car is a challenge that I wager most able bodied humans can NOT do!
True. To make it easier have coverall's stashed too as you'll probably have to lie on the ground. Also use a curb/other stable object to raise subject tire a bit to get added clearance. This may require a few tries but having enough access could make the difference between success or failure. Worth trying in advance so you know what to expect and if you think you'll be capable.

Watch a YouTube video now so you're ready.

True. To make it easier have coverall's stashed too as you'll probably have to lie on the ground. Also use a curb/other stable object to raise subject tire a bit to get added clearance. This may require a few tries but having enough access could make the difference between success or failure. Worth trying in advance so you know what to expect and if you think you'll be capable.
If you can get the wheel off the vehicle, letting the air out of the tire helps reduce the effort to install a plug. I've not had good luck trying to get a plug in with the wheel still on the vehicle.

why is that? The air? or just difficult to deal with while still on the car?
I am not an expert in physics but with less air the tread area of the tire is more flexible and I have found it to be easier to insert the plug. I learned this from my local tire dealer. When the tire is still on the vehicle and you let the air out you can lose the bead seal which is hard to reseal with a portable compressor. Also it can be difficult to find a leak or a nail in a tire when it is off the vehicle, when it is on the vehicle it can be almost impossible unless it is a large object in an area where you can see it.

Today I received the StanceMagic spare wheel and tire kit for the Tesla Model Y from Amazon. I have unboxed and checked the contents for damage and fit inside my 2020 LR Model Y. There is a small hole, from rubbing during shipping, in the larger pouch that stores the scissor jack but the kit appears to be undamaged. I plan to carry this spare on road trips. The box is heavy as delivered but the spare is much easier to move, carry once you separate the scissor jack and tools. (Don't trust the box handle cutouts as they tear. I dropped the box on my big toe; my toe is OK.)

I am posting some unboxing photos and also photos showing the StanceMagic spare wheel fitting behind the front passenger seat and inside the hatch area. The tire size is T155/85R18 115M T010; The tire sidewall states to Inflate to 60 PSI (420 KPA).

The complete kit includes: wheel with tire with carry case, scissor jack with storage pouch; (the top part of the scissor jack has non-removable Tesla lift point adapter), jack ratchet wrench, expanding lug wrench, lug nug adapters (21mm and 17mm included), one pair of gloves, center removal cap tool (I think?). It may be hard to see due to the plastic bag but I was able to fit the spare wheel under the roof line lip of the hatch on a slight angle.
So the StanceMagic has a diameter that matches the OEM wheel (28"), correct? Would it still be ok to use if one would switch to 18" wheels later on with 255/55-18 tires (29" diameter)?
Or, in other words: how much of a difference in tire diameter is acceptable for the short ride with a spare?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
So the StanceMagic has a diameter that matches the OEM wheel (28"), correct? Would it still be ok to use if one would switch to 18" wheels later on with 255/55-18 tires (29" diameter)?
Or, in other words: how much of a difference in tire diameter is acceptable for the short ride with a spare?

Thanks!!
I don't know. Define short distance. A mismatch in outer tire circumference between left and right may trigger the traction control and apply the friction brake to the side with the smaller diameter. You could test this by driving a short distance then stopping and measuring the temperature of the brake rotors by holding the palm of your hand close to but not touching the rotors.

Reactions: flixden
I don't know. Define short distance. A mismatch in outer tire circumference between left and right may trigger the traction control and apply the friction brake to the side with the smaller diameter. You could test this by driving a short distance then stopping and measuring the temperature of the brake rotors by holding the palm of your hand close to but not touching the rotors.
Short distance as in less than 30 miles.
The difference in diameter would be less than 3%, which I hope would be ok.

Short distance as in less than 30 miles.
The difference in diameter would be less than 3%, which I hope would be ok.
You could start out, stop after several miles to check for excessive rotor temperature. Then decide whether to continue driving on the spare or call for a tow. (You could leave the Tesla vehicle and call for a ride and bring the punctured tire and wheel to a repair shop, then get dropped off back to your vehicle after the tire has been repaired or replaced.)

Reactions: flixden
Personally I keep a tire plug kit and a compressor in the car. I have used it a few times even for other cars with a problem. My last two cars did not have a spare either. 300,000+ miles and has not been an issue.
Hello Dhrivnak:

My biggest problem is finding a decent 12V compressor. Essentially ALL the compressors on Amazon have a fair number of comments saying that the hose or the cable come out quickly due to poor quality, and by the time you need the compressor for a repair, it will be dead. The Tesla compressor is out of stock, and there are more than a few comments saying it also has an absurdly short working life. So, recommendations on a 12V compressor to carry in the Model Y?

Second, I just want to double check with you if I understand:
I get a flat
I find the hole
I move the car just a bit so I can access the hole
I remove nail, push like a mother-unmentionable to get the plug in, then trim
I re-inflate tire.

*** So, that's no jack required?

I'm reasonably handy, I have a reasonable suffering threshold, but I'm no Xtreme on either those categories or hand strength. If you say such a person can pull off a repair, then I'm game. Yes? No? Some people have suggested that its way too hard to do the plug without removing the tire, ergo, one would need a jack and all that. What do you think?

* Should I get some slime-like stuff for backup? Are there cases when a slime-like substance will work but a plug won't?

I drive a few miles down dirt roads out of cell service in the mountains regularly. Then there's the hole in the rock road in Utah for the good slot canyons and etc. (*), some places on the net say that was around 28 miles down the dirt road, no cell service. So, would be wise to have some kind of emergency tire repair kit. However, it really has to be dependable.

Thanks,

-TPC

* DANGER: the espresso at Escalante outfitters AKA Esca-latte in Escalante is bitter; also there the iced coffee was $4.75 in 2020, which would be like $10 today. If I saw this on my bill I would have thrown QUITE a fit. We actually liked the place otherwise.

Hello Dhrivnak:

My biggest problem is finding a decent 12V compressor. Essentially ALL the compressors on Amazon have a fair number of comments saying that the hose or the cable come out quickly due to poor quality, and by the time you need the compressor for a repair, it will be dead. The Tesla compressor is out of stock, and there are more than a few comments saying it also has an absurdly short working life. So, recommendations on a 12V compressor to carry in the Model Y?

Second, I just want to double check with you if I understand:
I get a flat
I find the hole
I move the car just a bit so I can access the hole
I remove nail, push like a mother-unmentionable to get the plug in, then trim
I re-inflate tire.

*** So, that's no jack required?

I'm reasonably handy, I have a reasonable suffering threshold, but I'm no Xtreme on either those categories or hand strength. If you say such a person can pull off a repair, then I'm game. Yes? No? Some people have suggested that its way too hard to do the plug without removing the tire, ergo, one would need a jack and all that. What do you think?

* Should I get some slime-like stuff for backup? Are there cases when a slime-like substance will work but a plug won't?

I drive a few miles down dirt roads out of cell service in the mountains regularly. Then there's the hole in the rock road in Utah for the good slot canyons and etc. (*), some places on the net say that was around 28 miles down the dirt road, no cell service. So, would be wise to have some kind of emergency tire repair kit. However, it really has to be dependable.

Thanks,

-TPC

* DANGER: the espresso at Escalante outfitters AKA Esca-latte in Escalante is bitter; also there the iced coffee was $4.75 in 2020, which would be like $10 today. If I saw this on my bill I would have thrown QUITE a fit. We actually liked the place otherwise.
Yes it can be a bear to ream out the hole and insert the plug. I am over 60 and past my prime but still manage. I got the Tesla compressor and slime kit, I have not used the slime but have used the compressor twice. My Volt had a similar compressor I used 3-4 times with success so there are good ones out there.

Yes it can be a bear to ream out the hole and insert the plug. I am over 60 and past my prime but still manage. I got the Tesla compressor and slime kit, I have not used the slime but have used the compressor twice. My Volt had a similar compressor I used 3-4 times with success so there are good ones out there.
Can you recommend a brand? Or do you know/remember which one you have?

I suspect I will be very lucky if I can plug like you. You sound like you're in great condition; keep it up!

Thanks,

-TPC

Last edited:
If I had a nail in the tire, I would probably try to re-inflate first, then drive slowly while watching the tire pressure. Once the nail is out, and you don't get the plug in, it's game over. Can't really put the nail back in. Usually, nail holes leak rather slowly, and if you have a compressor, you can get a few miles that way.

I bought this one:

If I had a nail in the tire, I would probably try to re-inflate first, then drive slowly while watching the tire pressure. Once the nail is out, and you don't get the plug in, it's game over. Can't really put the nail back in. Usually, nail holes leak rather slowly, and if you have a compressor, you can get a few miles that way.

I bought this one:
Thank you very much for your reply. May I ask,

a) did you definitely adjust pressure or inflate a Tesla tire with it OK with (much heavier than typical cars, which is why I'm asking)?

b) How long did you own it at the last inflation?

c) How many times have you successfully adjusted/inflated a Tesla tire?

This does look pretty decent, but has the same complaints about the non-replacable hose breaking after a short time. I'm trying to find one that is pretty dependable (see my original post for explanation).

(I've never seen one that wasn't made in China, just as an informative aside.)

Thanks so much,

-TPC

Thank you very much for your reply. May I ask,

a) did you definitely adjust pressure or inflate a Tesla tire with it OK with (much heavier than typical cars, which is why I'm asking)?

b) How long did you own it at the last inflation?

c) How many times have you successfully adjusted/inflated a Tesla tire?

This does look pretty decent, but has the same complaints about the non-replacable hose breaking after a short time. I'm trying to find one that is pretty dependable (see my original post for explanation).

(I've never seen one that wasn't made in China, just as an informative aside.)

Thanks so much,

-TPC
It has a 4.5 out of 5 rating with 52k reviews, it doesn't get much better than that. Not sure what you are looking for exists. If you are looking for near 100% dependability, all I could think of is getting 3 different ones. Very unlikely that they'll all break at the same time. 🙂👍🏻