Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missed the rise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its all change today, from a peak of about 960 yesterday to mid 700s now...

upload_2020-2-5_15-37-1.png

Reactions: Rooster6655
No tax on an ISA regardless of your personal tax position. Maximum annual contribution is £20k. Plenty of platforms offer a zero fee set up and allow individual stock purchase.

Pensions and ISAs are entirely separate, so what you do with one doesn't affect what you do with the other (apart from running out of cash to invest!).

Both offer a saving on the taxes you would otherwise pay, and either (or both) are potentially suitable for saving for retirement. Both have restrictions making them less suitable for short-term investing. And both allow you to invest in the same kinds of things - the pension or ISA is often described as a "wrapper" around the underlying investment, giving you tax advantages in exchange for constraints on what you can do.

I think the summary is I may need to actually get an accountant. I cannot complain about my pay, but paying 60% of every £ earned to the tax office just seems a bit mad. Especially every extra £ earned equates to a more stress, more responsibility, longer hours, so what the incentive to work harder once you hit the £100K barrier?

Anyways, good to see people have made money from Tesla, the company has major issues but the products are fantastic.

I think the summary is I may need to actually get an accountant. I cannot complain about my pay, but paying 60% of every £ earned to the tax office just seems a bit mad. Especially every extra £ earned equates to a more stress, more responsibility, longer hours, so what the incentive to work harder once you hit the £100K barrier?

Anyways, good to see people have made money from Tesla, the company has major issues but the products are fantastic.
One of the major issues right now is a sky high valuation. May be out to good use by funding a new gigafactory (Texas), or May end up by people saying “yeah, it was just a bubble”.
Ps, definitely sounds like an accountant may help you out.

Reactions: Rooster6655

A good accountant will always save you more than they cost you!

Well the key point for the ISA is that if you put £20k a year away in to it then it soon mounts up and you don't pay gains on the money in that account but you are free to take the money out when you wish.

If you intend to trade stocks/funds or already do outside of an ISA then this is really a good option especially as you build up your ISA funds every year.

It's at the point now where its just gambling whether you're long or short as the valuation of a 130b company does not reflect how the company acts and deals with customers, they delivered under 400k cars this past 12 months and can't cope with the service centres. When this amount gets unto 2m a year, I am really concerned how they would cope and what sort of customer experience people will have.

The reason I lost faith in the stock was due to the way Tesla dealt with my delivery and day one issues, never mind trying to get hold of them about anything other than your delivery date. The cars are great but this isn't enough if the car isn't supported with an equal level or service otherwise people will choose crappier cars where they get better treatment.

Reactions: MrBadger
as the valuation of a 130b company does not reflect how the company acts and deals with customers, they delivered under 400k cars this past 12 months and can't cope with the service centres

The range the stock can be reasonablely valued at assuming growth rates from 30% per year upto 60% per year is messive. Most Tesla owners recommend them to other people. Hence I am still long, but losing my investment will not destroy my life and I am happy to be invested for 5 to 10 years.

The range the stock can be reasonablely valued at assuming growth rates from 30% per year upto 60% per year is messive. Most Tesla owners recommend them to other people. Hence I am still long, but losing my investment will not destroy my life and I am happy to be invested for 5 to 10 years.

Without new models I doubt the growth rates will be hitting close to the 60% per year growth rate, just look at the S/X sales, its gone from an estimate of 100k a year to "We just make it for sentimental reasons" -Elon

Yes model 3 has been popular so far and model Y is likely to follow the same way but the company will require these sales EVERY year and any falls in sales will affect their valuation a lot.

If the price dips in the future I'd consider buying shares, the fact that the company has had so much exposure and interest in its shares means that we are unlikely to see previous lows of last year again unless something very bad were to happen