Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missed the rise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A ton of Tesla faithful will be able to fully pay for their new cars, with the profit they make.

Also pay for the kids college and put some away for retirement.

For many, it will be one of the finest financial decisions they will make.

Now the decision becomes when to sell to realize the profit.

It takes 10 seconds to complete the US declaration. It pretty much just asks you to confirm you're not a US resident.

I invested a week or so after I ordered my M3, up 86% since then and that was 3 weeks ago! I'm holding it long term so I actually wish it hadn't risen so quickly as I was planning to invest more next tax year (S&S ISA).

It was around $200 as recent as April 2019.

Reactions: MikeeUK
Probably the wrong forum to discuss this, but their stock is now over $900!!
I made a half-hearted attempt to get some at $320, but got put off by the need to fill in an extra bit of paperwork for US stocks. What a nugget I am.

I used Revolut to buy some Tesla stock....literally took me 5 minutes to transfer funds from my ££ to $$ accounts in the app and then buy TSLA stock. No trading fees either. Worth a look if you're thinking of investing.

Probably the wrong forum to discuss this, but their stock is now over $900!!
I made a half-hearted attempt to get some at $320, but got put off by the need to fill in an extra bit of paperwork for US stocks. What a nugget I am.

Anything that goes up that fast you have to watch out as in the past it has declined as quickly as its risen, much too high and risky to be investing in right now IMO!

I missed out on Amazon at $300 (now $2000) because I couldn't be bothered to fill the form in either!

Problem buying and selling in US stocks is the conversion rates often stiff you over especially if buying in an ISA as you can't hold anything but GBP in cash so it gets converted back to GBP every time you buy/sell

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBadger
Anything that goes up that fast you have to watch out as in the past it has declined as quickly as its risen, much too high and risky to be investing in right now IMO!

I'm sure Elon will text something and trigger a correction at some point - I noticed that he's been pretty docile recently - its been in his interest to keep stock high for his own personal gain

Reactions: Rooster6655
A ton of Tesla faithful will be able to fully pay for their new cars, with the profit they make.

Also pay for the kids college and put some away for retirement.

For many, it will be one of the finest financial decisions they will make.

Now the decision becomes when to sell to realize the profit.
in a few years at least.
not 'now'

unless anyone wants the stock to go really high....I could sell now (but I would like to get a little back for it please;))

I used Revolut to buy some Tesla stock....literally took me 5 minutes to transfer funds from my ££ to $$ accounts in the app and then buy TSLA stock. No trading fees either. Worth a look if you're thinking of investing.

but also no capital gains tax exemption. check out moneysaving expert etc, perhaps look into stocks&shares ISA Share dealing need-to-knows Stocks & Shares ISAs

Reactions: Rooster6655
but also no capital gains tax exemption. check out moneysaving expert etc, perhaps look into stocks&shares ISA Share dealing need-to-knows Stocks & Shares ISAs

Yes good call, I'd consider investing through a fund that includes Tesla as its less volatile and you can buy many in GBP so you don't need to mess with the conversion rates where they do you over by 2% or so.

Baillie Gifford offer many funds incase anyone is interested, you can buy these through most stock brokers.

I'm sure Elon will text something and trigger a correction at some point - I noticed that he's been pretty docile recently - its been in his interest to keep stock high for his own personal gain

Yes he's been quiet but we can't forget what he is like especially with estimates, there's reasons why people didn't pile in at $180 so don't know why they'd be buying in at $950 as really nothing much has changed for people who followed Tesla, this in itself is the problem.

P.S Stock fell in 10 minutes from $960 to $870, long or short that would be 10% of your investment can disappear in no time!

How does captial gains tax work on shares?

I set up an account last year but didn't go ahead due to the fact am now within the 60% marginal tax zone, and the fact my current pension pot is already growing by more than £40k+ a year so even if bought as a stock & share ISA pension product I think I would be liable for a tax bill.

Add in $ to £ conversion to really make money out of it I would have to have put in £10k+ which given I have never ever done any kind of share dealing before I chicken out.

Maybe its time I got an accountant and worked on been more tax efficient!!

Bizzar situation the UK tax system, right now I have very little financial incentive to work harder, but since I enjoy my work I do work hard.

Not sure if my numbers are right but if I had bought at $250, and got £10k worth.

Going on $900 now, that's 3.6 fold increase, so £36k.

Take 5% off for currency charges/handling costs, take another 20% for capital gains tax, take away initial £10k that leaves £17k.

I woudlnt say no to £17k of free cash, but its hardly life changing sums. At £100k investment the numbers really do start to be interesting. But I guess thats the point, you have to be prepared to risk 6 figure sums to significant gains, even if the stock goes up by three fold.

Reactions: MrBadger
How does captial gains tax work on shares?

I set up an account last year but didn't go ahead due to the fact am now within the 60% marginal tax zone, and the fact my current pension pot is already growing by more than £40k+ a year so even if bought as a stock & share ISA pension product I think I would be liable for a tax bill.

Add in $ to £ conversion to really make money out of it I would have to have put in £10k+ which given I have never ever done any kind of share dealing before I chicken out.

Maybe its time I got an accountant and worked on been more tax efficient!!

Bizzar situation the UK tax system, right now I have very little financial incentive to work harder, but since I enjoy my work I do work hard.

No tax on an ISA regardless of your personal tax position. Maximum annual contribution is £20k. Plenty of platforms offer a zero fee set up and allow individual stock purchase.

Not sure if my numbers are right but if I had bought at $250, and got £10k worth.

Going on $900 now, that's 3.6 fold increase, so £36k.

Take 5% off for currency charges/handling costs, take another 20% for capital gains tax, take away initial £10k that leaves £17k.

I woudlnt say no to £17k of free cash, but its hardly life changing sums. At £100k investment the numbers really do start to be interesting. But I guess thats the point, you have to be prepared to risk 6 figure sums to significant gains, even if the stock goes up by three fold.

Put it another way vs a 2% return savings account its amazing but only if your timing is right to call the time to sell, which nobody ever knows. It could easily have gone back to 200 vs the current levels.

the fact my current pension pot is already growing by more than £40k+ a year so even if bought as a stock & share ISA pension product I think I would be liable for a tax bill.

Pensions and ISAs are entirely separate, so what you do with one doesn't affect what you do with the other (apart from running out of cash to invest!).

Both offer a saving on the taxes you would otherwise pay, and either (or both) are potentially suitable for saving for retirement. Both have restrictions making them less suitable for short-term investing. And both allow you to invest in the same kinds of things - the pension or ISA is often described as a "wrapper" around the underlying investment, giving you tax advantages in exchange for constraints on what you can do.

Pensions are extremely complex and the rules keep changing, but broadly the tax proposition is that you pay in from untaxed income, don't pay any tax while you hold it, but do then pay income tax (hopefully at a lower rate) when you draw money out later. Lots of restrictions on exactly when and how much you can put in or out.

ISAs have remained remarkably simple since they started in the '90s (originally called PEPs with effectively the same rules). There is no tax saving on the way in: you use income on which you have already paid tax (or other unrestricted cash you have lying around). However, you then pay no tax while you hold the ISA, nor when you take the money out. The snags are a hard annual limit on what you can put in (currently £20K per year, was lower in past years), on a use-it-or-lose-it basis, and also once you have taken money out you can't put it back (other than as part of the current year's max £20K going in). You can move your accumulated funds from one ISA to another without losing the tax protection, but as soon as you've taken it outside the ISA wrapper then the opportunity to grow further untaxed is gone.

Pensions are so complex you need professional advice to even start thinking about them but the advantages can be great (or not). ISAs are simple to understand, but the benefit is only large if you are able to put in every year and build up a large fund without ever being tempted to pull it out again. Given both have input limits, for people with large amounts to put in then "both" has to be the answer. If it's a case of one or the other, professional advice is required to choose (and even the professionals are only guessing because there's so many factors that could change in the future).