Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing Adaptive Headlights... 4 months in...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my Model S 75 in September, right when they started bundling options all together. Well my car was supposed to come with Adaptive Headlights... it does not have them. When I called Tesla back in October they admitted their wrongdoing and promised to replace them, however its been 4 Months and nothing has happened. I trusted them, but they just keep stringing me along.. I even had an appointment to get it fixed a month ago, and they DIDN'T FIX IT and told me a bulletin came out telling them not to..... My car does not have the feature it is supposed to have.. and I am feeling duped... What are my legal options? I'm close to seeking an attorney. I want to trust Tesla, but they are just not doing what they promised and sold me a car that doesn't have what it was supposed to.

• Funny
Reactions: Bebop and jeffro01
I would go back and sternly speak to a manager, let them know you’ve waited an appropriate amount of time and wish to get your headlights now.

If they don’t comply then I guess you gotta figure out if an attorney is worth it.

I purchased my Model S 75 in September, right when they started bundling options all together. Well my car was supposed to come with Adaptive Headlights... it does not have them. When I called Tesla back in October they admitted their wrongdoing and promised to replace them, however its been 4 Months and nothing has happened.
Same thing happened to me. After a few months, I sent a nice query into Executive Escalation, basically stating the situation and timeline and asking if there was an update on the retro-fit. I received a response that acknowledged the problem and that someone from the local SC would be contacting me. Within 2 days, someone did, and told me they had ordered the new headlights and would contact me with a service appointment when they came in. My headlights were retro-fitted last week...

It appears to be the luck of the draw in terms of who you get dealing with your query. Others have done the same thing only to be told to wait for the general retro-fit. Generally a soft approach works better than threatening legal action. These folks are human too and are just trying to do their jobs. Your goal is to make them want to help you, and a hard line never works for that....

Same thing happened to me. After a few months, I sent a nice query into Executive Escalation, basically stating the situation and timeline and asking if there was an update on the retro-fit. I received a response that acknowledged the problem and that someone from the local SC would be contacting me. Within 2 days, someone did, and told me they had ordered the new headlights and would contact me with a service appointment when they came in. My headlights were retro-fitted last week...

It appears to be the luck of the draw in terms of who you get dealing with your query. Others have done the same thing only to be told to wait for the general retro-fit. Generally a soft approach works better than threatening legal action. These folks are human too and are just trying to do their jobs. Your goal is to make them want to help you, and a hard line never works for that....

I did this same thing, they got my headlights in, went in for service and they FORGOT to fix the headlights, then were told by a bulletin NOT to retrofit. so...

Maybe there is some reason why they cannot do it, or cannot do it easily.

How much do you really want those adaptive headlights? I can tell you that Tesla's implementation (at least as of 2017) is that they are next to useless. Checks a box on the feature sheet but of near zero real value. Additional LED that are aimed at an angle comes on as you turn the wheel, but they are so dim that does almost nothing (maybe 10 feet or so...). I never noticed them until I was purposely testing them.

Model s headlight is one of the few weak spot for this otherwise great machine.

Tesla is wrong and they should make it right. Do you want to discuss what other compensation is fair if for some reason they cannot retrofit the headlights?

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
Maybe there is some reason why they cannot do it, or cannot do it easily.

How much do you really want those adaptive headlights? I can tell you that Tesla's implementation (at least as of 2017) is that they are next to useless. Checks a box on the feature sheet but of near zero real value. Additional LED that are aimed at an angle comes on as you turn the wheel, but they are so dim that does almost nothing (maybe 10 feet or so...). I never noticed them until I was purposely testing them.

Model s headlight is one of the few weak spot for this otherwise great machine.

Tesla is wrong and they should make it right. Do you want to discuss what other compensation is fair if for some reason they cannot retrofit the headlights?
Why does it matter if the OP wants them or not? He paid for them, so they should be delivered. If the retrofit requires building a brand new car, that's Tesla's problem - they committed to it and have to deliver. If they want to offer a deal, sure, it's up to the OP to accept or reject, but if he rejects, they have to deliver and possibly compensate the OP for late delivery on top of that.

Reactions: jrad6515 and Bebop