Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing ECU/Charge Port Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an update from the WPB SC, the charge port ECU ETA is now “unknown” and just to wait until I get a text to schedule delivery. This car has been sitting on the lot, since May 5th uncharged (how is the main battery holding up?), in the elements (there’s a tropical storm coming today) and they have absolutely zero view on when it’s going to be available. Going on a month now of “just wait you’ll eventually get your car”. Just disappointed.
I feel your disappointment, since, I have been waiting with a VIN since Apr 24 too.

On a positive note, Miami SC is finally pushing out deliveries at a steady pace (after ECU retrofit). My delivery date is scheduled for tomorrow. Excited, but, keeping my fingers crossed for any last minute surprises.

Reactions: canasion35
I feel your disappointment, since, I have been waiting with a VIN since Apr 24 too.

On a positive note, Miami SC is finally pushing out deliveries at a steady pace (after ECU retrofit). My delivery date is scheduled for tomorrow. Excited, but, keeping my fingers crossed for any last minute surprises.
That is actually a really positive note! I hope your delivery time slot sticks and you're able to get into your new car! I may be envious of your position, but I'm also excited for you too!

Got an update from the WPB SC, the charge port ECU ETA is now “unknown” and just to wait until I get a text to schedule delivery. This car has been sitting on the lot, since May 5th uncharged (how is the main battery holding up?), in the elements (there’s a tropical storm coming today) and they have absolutely zero view on when it’s going to be available. Going on a month now of “just wait you’ll eventually get your car”. Just disappointed.
I'll ask them about what they do about low battery tomorrow when I pick it up (probably won't tell me). However I've heard from a guy that used to work at tesla service that what they would do is have spare ECUs on-hand and they would temporarily install them on a car without ECU, charge it up and then remove the ECU and install it on another car to keep the batteries in good shape. Sounds plausible since it's a fairly quick to install.

I'll ask them about what they do about low battery tomorrow when I pick it up (probably won't tell me). However I've heard from a guy that used to work at tesla service that what they would do is have spare ECUs on-hand and they would temporarily install them on a car without ECU, charge it up and then remove the ECU and install it on another car to keep the batteries in good shape. Sounds plausible since it's a fairly quick to install.
I highly doubt this is the case - at least for my vehicle. My vehicle has been sitting in the same spot now for 5-6 weeks without being touched. Spider webs are growing over the tires so it's clear that it has never been moved let alone charged.

Very unfortunate.

I highly doubt this is the case - at least for my vehicle. My vehicle has been sitting in the same spot now for 5-6 weeks without being touched. Spider webs are growing over the tires so it's clear that it has never been moved let alone charged.
Not only is that bad for the battery, but it's bad for the tires too on such a heavy vehicle. Just sitting in one spot, exposed to elements and temperature swings has got to take a toll on the tires.

Hey, I've been following you for a little while and I really hope you get your car soon. I really feel for you knowing I was in the same boat. I was getting really stressed out knowing my car was sitting around. As a data point, my build date was 4/22 So I know my car was sitting in Tampa for a few weeks. When I took delivery of the car, the battery was only at 60%

Hey, I've been following you for a little while and I really hope you get your car soon. I really feel for you knowing I was in the same boat. I was getting really stressed out knowing my car was sitting around. As a data point, my build date was 4/22 So I know my car was sitting in Tampa for a few weeks. When I took delivery of the car, the battery was only at 60%
Thank you sir for the heads up and information. It’s really helpful - helps settle my mind!

Reactions: Teleezen
Didn't see any damage but likely car was on lot for a month.. My nerves however are a bit frazzled... Yesterday the Tesla app insisted that my updated car insurance was not acceptable since it expires in 59 days ( which it does normally every 6 months) instead of the 60 days after DD Tesla Rule... agents at State Farm supposedly could do nothing about it... So today I handed the insurance card to SA at the designated time and basically said take it or leave it... as I pulled my credit union check from the papers in his hand. After conferring with the powers to be... got my Tesla. Checked out car, signed paperwork and on my way. Now I can relax and enjoy my M3LR. Good luck to everyone and thanks again.

Reactions: TCM3P
Didn't see any damage but likely car was on lot for a month.. My nerves however are a bit frazzled... Yesterday the Tesla app insisted that my updated car insurance was not acceptable since it expires in 59 days ( which it does normally every 6 months) instead of the 60 days after DD Tesla Rule... agents at State Farm supposedly could do nothing about it... So today I handed the insurance card to SA at the designated time and basically said take it or leave it... as I pulled my credit union check from the papers in his hand. After conferring with the powers to be... got my Tesla. Checked out car, signed paperwork and on my way. Now I can relax and enjoy my M3LR. Good luck to everyone and thanks again.
Congrats... Enjoy your weekend with your new toy!

Things are starting to move in Florida for a few of us. On Thursday night, I got the text inviting me to set a delivery appointment at my local service center in Orlando. Big sigh of relief. I'll feel even better when I'm actually sitting in the car! Hopefully that'll be on Monday afternoon.
Congrats! These will be an exciting few days for us, hopefully.

That is actually a really positive note! I hope your delivery time slot sticks and you're able to get into your new car! I may be envious of your position, but I'm also excited for you too!
Finally....picked up my car today. All checked out good, even with the stormy weather in Miami.

Happy to get the car and wishing that all waiting buddies get theirs soon.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement in the past months.

The wait begins for the 2nd Tesla now..... M3 RWD MSM.

Got my (previously) ECU-less car on Sat (see details here SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room), with all the inspection steps I forgot to ask about how low the battery was but I wouldn't expect that they'd tell me. The car was at 72%. I'm don't think there's a way to get history of the state of charge in any way though so we'll probably never know.

Also I saw the remains of the glue from the charge port sticker on the car, but it comes off easily with the alcohol spray they use at tesla.

Finally....picked up my car today. All checked out good, even with the stormy weather in Miami.

Happy to get the car and wishing that all waiting buddies get theirs soon.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement in the past months.

The wait begins for the 2nd Tesla now..... M3 RWD MSM.
Great to hear!

I got mine today. It's amazing--even beyond my high expectations of it. I took a couple of hours off work this afternoon and put the performance to the test! It passed!!

Hang in there those of you still waiting. It'll be worth it.

Got my (previously) ECU-less car on Sat (see details here SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room), with all the inspection steps I forgot to ask about how low the battery was but I wouldn't expect that they'd tell me. The car was at 72%. I'm don't think there's a way to get history of the state of charge in any way though so we'll probably never know.

Also I saw the remains of the glue from the charge port sticker on the car, but it comes off easily with the alcohol spray they use at tesla.
Great to hear that. Hope you enjoy it.
I'm still waiting on mine. Plan to bother the SA tomorrow again for an update. Would be strange for a car made on same date as yours and arrived same time in Toronto as yours, to be kept longer. unless it's another missing part , other than ECU :)