Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing Interstate Supercharger links on Tesla Planned Location map?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Tesla launched the latest version of the Supercharger Map with the gray markers for all the planned locations it looked like they had done a great job of filling all the Interstate gaps. Having experienced travel with my Roadster from before the supercharger was even a dream this map is truly amazing to me!

At first look it appeared that they had filled it in any longer legs to the level needed for any of their supercharging capable models including the S60 and Model 3 standard battery. Looking a bit closer I have identified at least two trouble spots for smaller battery models. With seeing their excellent planning in so many remote areas it was a bit of a surprise that they missed these two locations.

I have listed below the two segments I have found. Are there any other Interstate segments that would be a problem?

Erwin, NY to Erie, PA on I-86
Charleston, WV to Lexington, KY on I-64

The planned 2017 map doesn't mean they're done with the network. I'm more concerned that the planned locations will actually get built-- some have been planned for a few years now (I-10, I'm looking at you!)

Since giving Tesla the first of numerous quite large payments over 10 years ago, I am painfully aware of both Tesla Time and Elon Optimism. ;)

When the last map was launched I figured someone just went through and filled in every possible gap and called it a day. :)
Given the number they claim by end of 2017, I figure I will be happy to see them all by end of 2018. The rest hopefully by 2019.

But I most say that the number of cones showing on supercharge.info lately does make me smile. Also I think that the recent opening of Truth or Consequences, NM bodes well for I-10 this year.

Reactions: Tom Kilroy
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed the Charleston, WV - Lexington, KY hole.
By estimates I'm seeing, it could be a stretch to reach with the standard battery in the model 3 except in favorable conditions.
Worse yet, there seems to be almost no charging infrastructure of any kind on this stretch.
Hopefully they add a supercharger at Grayson as this would allow better access to Cincinnati as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed the Charleston, WV - Lexington, KY hole.
By estimates I'm seeing, it could be a stretch to reach with the standard battery in the model 3 except in favorable conditions.
Worse yet, there seems to be almost no charging infrastructure of any kind on this stretch.
Hopefully they add a supercharger at Grayson as this would allow better access to Cincinnati as well.

FWIW, on Plugshare I see that Best Western Eagles Inn, in Morehead, KY has "Two Tesla High Power Wall Connectors (up to 80A) and one Clipper Creek J1772 (up to 48A)". For patrons only however; but still that's a nice option in a pinch. We'd kill for any chargers out here in my neck of the woods. :) But I guess it comes with the territory and lack of population.

FWIW, on Plugshare I see that Best Western Eagles Inn, in Morehead, KY has "Two Tesla High Power Wall Connectors (up to 80A) and one Clipper Creek J1772 (up to 48A)". For patrons only however; but still that's a nice option in a pinch. We'd kill for any chargers out here in my neck of the woods. :) But I guess it comes with the territory and lack of population.
Yea, listed on Tesla destination charger map too. If they had a restaurant I'd be happy to be a patron. Considering the frequency I pass this stretch it is hardly economical to spend the night just to charge. I suppose they might take pitty on me once or twice, but I think they might recognize me after a while... Maybe I could pay the desk manager off for $10 a charge or something :) or I pony up the extra $9000...

fwiw: when you are in need of a charge and the only option is like the one described all one needs to do is to go into the hotel then go to the bar/restaurant and order something, viola you've morphed into a patron and are now qualified to use the charger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and skitown
Not necessarily a bit gap but some questionable diversions:

I-40 Clarksville, AR to Forrest City, AR will be around 187 miles. Diversion to Little Rock, AR adds 22 miles, 24 minutes.

I-90 Maumee, OH to Erie, PA is 201 miles. There's Cleveland Service Center, OH but it has limited hours. Diversion to Macedonia, OH adds 20 miles, 23 minutes.

I-95 Brewer, ME to End (Canadian border at Houlton, ME) 127 miles. Speed limit on I-95 from Old Town, ME to Houlton, ME is 75mph. Could be tough on a cold winter day in a 3-220.

Note that with many trips to points between Superchargers, for the indicated map people would often require destination charging to return. But in the longer term, you would expect density to increase and halve the current longer distances.

It's also worth considering trips that require transitions between Interstates. There are a few holes in their projected map, at least for taking the fastest route and avoiding diversions. Might be a fun what-if analysis.

Yea, listed on Tesla destination charger map too. If they had a restaurant I'd be happy to be a patron. Considering the frequency I pass this stretch it is hardly economical to spend the night just to charge. I suppose they might take pitty on me once or twice, but I think they might recognize me after a while... Maybe I could pay the desk manager off for $10 a charge or something :) or I pony up the extra $9000...

My guess is that if they have a place (restaurant) to spend a few bucks as @kort677 suggests, or if not, you asked to pay them a few bucks as you've suggested, they would be glad to let you charge. Also tell them you'll post on the forum and Plugshare (or even Yelp) about how great they are and seems like they'd be crazy to not be amenable to Tesla travelers if they have the space.

Reactions: boaterva
It's also worth considering trips that require transitions between Interstates. There are a few holes in their projected map, at least for taking the fastest route and avoiding diversions. Might be a fun what-if analysis.
This is my biggest one, where they are somewhat important routes, but they just don't happen to be Interstate highways. Look at the large triangular hole on eastern Oregon. U.S. highways 20 and 95 are in that area and are too far for a full charge. People are having to get by with AC wall charging. One Supercharger on each of those would make easily manageable pieces.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Not sure when it got updated, but map now shows 'coming soon' for huntington, wv.

This is a much welcomed addition.

Though I still think grayson would be a better spot, I imagine Tesla's relationship with Sheetz is weighing heavily on the decision to not go farther west. I think 432 18th St W, Huntington, WV 25704 is the logical choice based on interstate access (and I believe also the westernmost Sheetz).

I also stopped by the Best Western location, the charging stations appeared to be active, with a model X charging at the time. I'm hoping they have a snackbar or something to sell should I ever need to stop, but didn't pop in to see since it was about 1am and was itching to get on down the road.