Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had issues where the door jam is missing paint? The drivers front fender area was not painted. I also have problems with the doors on this side not aligning properly and causing paint to rub off. (AWD LR delivery 8/3)

Attachments

• 76C22BD0-8C83-4D45-A19F-305877C403E9.jpeg
    76C22BD0-8C83-4D45-A19F-305877C403E9.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 1,129
  • 264B37FB-5CAD-4EAD-BDCC-C3CA0C773030.jpeg
    264B37FB-5CAD-4EAD-BDCC-C3CA0C773030.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 716
  • 433B8889-928C-4273-A303-C08D4AD358A3.jpeg
    433B8889-928C-4273-A303-C08D4AD358A3.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 690
  • D3C7E1B7-0EAB-4CF1-860B-97D88809F005.jpeg
    D3C7E1B7-0EAB-4CF1-860B-97D88809F005.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 722
Missing paint in the door jams is quite common. I think the overall view is, yeah they should have painted it, but it is primed so good luck getting them to fix it.

The misalignment on the doors causing rubbing needs to be addressed though.

Reactions: juanmedina
Agreed with the above. We should be all grateful we have any paint anywhere on the car, to be honest. The door rubbing is showing up too many times for me to give Tesla a pass on this. They should be paying better attention to this tuff.

To be honest. For price of this car it is not normal to have paint missing. ( I pad 96.000 $ ).
Stop talking that it is normal. :(

The painted started missing after 2018 may - june in my opinion because of the fire in the Tesla Fremont paint shop which burned down the robots.

SEE source: Tesla workers say the factory paint shop is a mess and fires are worse than Tesla let on

"But employees told CNBC the fire was significant enough to stop work for at least a full shift on that day. The shop was also shut down for at least one more shift two days later. It also forced Tesla to decommission two burnt sprayer robots that they estimated were worth over $1 million."

"Engineers scrambled to repurpose equipment in the paint shop that week so that robots could be used to put primer on both the interior and exterior surfaces of Model 3 vehicles. Before the fire, separate robots handled interior and exterior primer application."

Before that all cars were painted ! Early 2018 & 2017. See post -->
Exposed primer at interior jambs / trunk

Here is my primer video about the issues on model 3:s. These are issues on tesla paint shop because robots has been misprogrammed !

Here are some photos from my car.
https://motor1.com/photos/693534/finnish-goods-inspection-finds-tesla-model-3s-paint-is-soft-and-thin/

This is widely spreading @ Europe.
Store avvik på Model 3

Impressed By The Finnish Tesla Model 3 Paint Problems? Hold My Beer
Finnish Goods Inspection Finds Tesla Model 3 Paint Is Soft And Thin

Here are some news papers telling the news. Link for the list:

Tesla Model 3 tyyppiviat sekä maalijutut

Last edited:
In Texas, took delivery end of August 2019 with several issues.
  • Disconnected windshield wipers
  • Door misalignment
  • Several paint nibs and micro-scratches (MSM color)
  • A tiny chip in the hood
  • Massive scratches on 3 of the car windows! (seriously, thankfully they had to replace them)
  • I feel like my front hood is slightly misaligned
  • One of the rear trunk lights didn't work
  • A few other minor issues I can't recall right now
And, of course, the paint under my frunk lid, in trunk, and in the hinges and inner parts of the car is non-existent. Most of it's just primer. I can upload some pics later today if anyone wants.

It's dissapointing that Tesla would do this to their supporters and customers.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
  • Door misalignment
  • Massive scratches on 3 of the car windows! (seriously, thankfully they had to replace them)
And, of course, the paint under my frunk lid, in trunk, and in the hinges and inner parts of the car is non-existent. Most of it's just primer. I can upload some pics later today if anyone wants.

Pls upload if you can!

• Door misalignment

Ive never seen missing under frunk paint. Trunk hinges are like that on all Model 3s. Not fully painted trunk hinges are common for a few manufacturers.

Here are a couple of images of what I'm talking about. I've heard some people freak out and say it's terrible and that they don't have this issue, and other's say I'm being picky. I spent $60k on this car. I'll take more pics of in the hinges of the thinner and missing paint. Seems weird to me. But I still LOVE the hell out of my car. @Johnii__82 I've seen a few of your videos-- great jobs and greetings from Texas.
69934602_450619832210931_7053394730297589760_n.jpg 70380585_383167835956802_819803445992095744_n.jpg

Here are a couple of images of what I'm talking about. I've heard some people freak out and say it's terrible and that they don't have this issue, and other's say I'm being picky. I spent $60k on this car. I'll take more pics of in the hinges of the thinner and missing paint. Seems weird to me. But I still LOVE the hell out of my car. @Johnii__82 I've seen a few of your videos-- great jobs and greetings from Texas.
View attachment 456698 View attachment 456699

Thx ! Great. Tesla should rise up the quality bar on painting... I paid 96.000 $ for the car... and the quality... mmm not good.

Missing paint in the door jambs and other concealed areas is intentional. It might be chintzy but it’s intentional. Tesla paints these cars with the doors already hung and this is a byproduct of that procedure.

I’ve had other cars like this but they were from more pedestrian brands. The defects in the exterior paint finishes are not intentional of course.

Missing paint in the door jambs and other concealed areas is intentional. It might be chintzy but it’s intentional. Tesla paints these cars with the doors already hung and this is a byproduct of that procedure.

I’ve had other cars like this but they were from more pedestrian brands. The defects in the exterior paint finishes are not intentional of course.
Talked to the a mobile service technician and the guy was bluntly honest and I believed him. He checked over my paint and said it was all on par with every other Tesla he's seen. I don't care what people say, Tesla's definitely do have lesser paint than other cars I've had-- but I expected this. The door jams are missing paint, the trunk is missing paint in the hinges, and under the hood is missing paint but I still love this car and these are all much less visible places. I have an appointment tomorrow at the SC here, I'll see what they say and see if they can fix it, if nothing else get out some of swirls. I don't expect they'll be able to fix the paint nibs as there's one on every panel.

I'd say, if you're not missing paint on an normal, parked visible spot, I wouldn't bother. Just enjoy the car. Just make sure that whatever you're seeing in place of the missing paint is yellow or green-ish, it's not primer, it's the e-coat and you do need that.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Talked to the a mobile service technician and the guy was bluntly honest and I believed him. He checked over my paint and said it was all on par with every other Tesla he's seen. I don't care what people say, Tesla's definitely do have lesser paint than other cars I've had-- but I expected this. The door jams are missing paint, the trunk is missing paint in the hinges, and under the hood is missing paint but I still love this car and these are all much less visible places. I have an appointment tomorrow at the SC here, I'll see what they say and see if they can fix it, if nothing else get out some of swirls. I don't expect they'll be able to fix the paint nibs as there's one on every panel.

I'd say, if you're not missing paint on an normal, parked visible spot, I wouldn't bother. Just enjoy the car. Just make sure that whatever you're seeing in place of the missing paint is yellow or green-ish, it's not primer, it's the e-coat and you do need that.

I'll keep you guys updated.

This keeps happening because people are accepting of the poor paint, keep buying the cars, and letting them off the hook for the rectifications.. Tesla is used to agile processes. You deliver MVP and then prioritize needs after that. People aren't making them set a higher priority on fit and finish so this is why it is still like this after ~500K 3's have been built... I've held them accountable on my (2) but that is about all I can do. Not buying more until the problems are fixed. So maybe never at how things are going...

This keeps happening because people are accepting of the poor paint, keep buying the cars, and letting them off the hook for the rectifications.. Tesla is used to agile processes. You deliver MVP and then prioritize needs after that. People aren't making them set a higher priority on fit and finish so this is why it is still like this after ~500K 3's have been built... I've held them accountable on my (2) but that is about all I can do. Not buying more until the problems are fixed. So maybe never at how things are going...

I agree. You should not accept this quality.